User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-20-2005, 07:12 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
They played their first shows throughout Texas during the third week in May. They hit El Paso, Amarillo, Abilene, Dallas, San Antonio & Austin -- all in mid May. It stands to reason they could have played Fort Worth at that time, too.
Oh man, ANY one of those shows would've been AMAZING to see-especially El Paso, the Very First Show. *SIGH*

Anyway, back to reality-here are the 2 photos I have:
Attached Images
File Type: gif Stevie75a.gif (94.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: gif Stevie75b.gif (97.4 KB, 44 views)

"My soul has soared, I have reached great heights
But the ground was further than I thought...."
Old 01-20-2005, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbirdjel
Oh man, ANY one of those shows would've been AMAZING to see-especially El Paso, the Very First Show. *SIGH*

Anyway, back to reality-here are the 2 photos I have:
Awesome photos!

For those more up on bootlegs, what is the earliest FM show on audio and video featuring Stevie and Lindsey?

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .
Old 01-20-2005, 08:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4stevie
For those more up on bootlegs, what is the earliest FM show on audio and video featuring Stevie and Lindsey?
In my collection, it's probably the Landover video from August.

A lot of people have San Diego's Balboa Stadium show on their lists (August 31), but it's the King Biscuit show from later that year. There are photos from the Balboa show, however, which you've seen. The Trod Nossel performance isn't as early as the Landover video, either.

Maybe the four Tuscaloosa tracks, which are Buckingham Nicks, were recorded in 1975, after they joined Fleetwood Mac. Buckingham Nicks played some dates in Alabama after joining the Mac in early 1975. If Stevie wrote "Rhiannon" in October 1974, it's hard to believe Buckingham Nicks played Tuscaloosa between then & New Year's Eve.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-20-2005, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In my collection, it's probably the Landover video from August.

A lot of people have San Diego's Balboa Stadium show on their lists (August 31), but it's the King Biscuit show from later that year. There are photos from the Balboa show, however, which you've seen. The Trod Nossel performance isn't as early as the Landover video, either.

Maybe the four Tuscaloosa tracks, which are Buckingham Nicks, were recorded in 1975, after they joined Fleetwood Mac. Buckingham Nicks played some dates in Alabama after joining the Mac in early 1975. If Stevie wrote "Rhiannon" in October 1974, it's hard to believe Buckingham Nicks played Tuscaloosa between then & New Year's Eve.
or that LB had even laid two guitar tracks down for it in those three or so months
Old 01-21-2005, 09:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Is the "Who's the New Girl" bootleg from Landover? That's the one I have - I love Stevie's voice on Green Manalishi!
Old 01-21-2005, 10:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Who's The New Girl? and Trod Nossel (aka "Live In Wallingford, CT") are all the same performance.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I thought they only played two "final" BN shows in Birmingham.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
I did as well. Does anyone have the schedule of those concerts - I am too lazy to look right now
Old 01-21-2005, 11:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Welcome back to da chili-maan!!

You raise an interesting point. There are articles that say there were two final shows in Birmingham in '75. Then we've got Mick's book (p 153), which says Lindsey & Stevie, right after joining Mac, were called to headline "a show" in Birmingham. Mick continues: "They played several dates of this great Buckingham Nicks Farewell Tour. At the last show, Lindsey announced that they were joining Fleetwood Mac ..."

There was an article that ran in a free sheet called Birmingham After Dark by Jan Susina called "Buckingham Nicks: Goodbye to the First Eight Years." It was written, or at least published, after the last Buckingham Nicks concert in Birmingham, February 1975 (I don't have a date but it was on a Friday in the Birmingham Municipal Auditorium). Susina also says that it was one of two sellouts at the auditorium during that year -- ambiguous because does it mean there were two Buckingham Nicks sellouts or that one Buckingham Nicks show was one of two sellouts? Susina also implies that Lindsey & Stevie hadn't been back to Alabama since the previous year, when they played shows with Poco. (The other interesting thing about this article is that Stevie gives the writer the impression that she & Lindsey are joining Fleetwood Mac temporarily.)

Mick sort of implies that they didn't find out that they sold out a 6,000-seat hall until after they got to Birmingham. That strains credulity, but I suppose it might have played out that way, or something like that: they didn't know they'd be such a hit in Birmingham, so maybe their booker got them additional gigs throughout Alabama after tickets sold at that one venue. I'm suggesting the possibility that the Tuscaloosa show we have may be from that "Farewell Tour" in 1975 (not 1974, the date on the audio files).

But the dating of "Rhiannon" in relation to all this is just really sticky. Originally, I was assuming "Rhiannon" wasn't even written until October 1974, & thus couldn't possibly have been played at a Buckingham Nicks show before that (although Buckingham Nicks did play Alabama dates as an opening act for Poco & Mountain at some point in 1974, according to Mick).

Stevie has always generally said that she wrote "Rhiannon" a few months before joining Mac -- right around Oct. 31, 1974. But did she? Richard Dashut says (in "My Life & Adventures") that after "Buckingham Nicks" bombed (well after November 1973), the pair moved in with him & worked on demos for "So Afraid," "Monday Morning" & "Rhiannon." Richard implies that this was before Lindsey toured with Don Everly, which Mick says was "early in 1974" (& Stevie says was late in 1974 while she was snowbound in Aspen). Lindsey returned from about six weeks of Don Everly touring down south, & started working with Richard on an album at Sound City. That must have been about when Mick ran into him at the studio (Mick says it was late December 1974).

So maybe Stevie is accurate, & she wrote "Rhiannon" when she said she did (disregard the times in concert when she said she wrote it in 1973 -- her memory scatters onstage). If "Rhiannon" is from the very end of October 1974, how did Buckingham Nicks play in Tuscaloosa AL at some point over the next two months, allegedly while Lindsey & Richard are working out demos at Sound City & Stevie has a brand-new job at Clementine's? I suppose it's possible, but is it likely? They had no money -- they were working at Sound City because of the generosity of the owner -- so how'd they pull a band together & get everybody all the way across the country in such a short time?

All of this sort of makes me think that there's a possibility that the Tuscaloosa show was part of the early 1975 "Farewell Tour," which took place after they joined Fleetwood Mac -- meaning that the answer to somebody's question about the earliest recordings of them after joining FM would be the Tuscaloosa stuff.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-21-2005, 11:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks David
Old 01-22-2005, 12:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
(The other interesting thing about this article is that Stevie gives the writer the impression that she & Lindsey are joining Fleetwood Mac temporarily.)
Oh now, that's funny. Maybe she thought she was joining temporarily due to Mick's comments to Herbie Worthington.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Rhiannon

When Stevie intros Rhiannon at the show labelled "Tuscaloosa", (sp?) she does say that the song is "brand new" implying that they just started working on it fairly recently. She then goes on to tell Lindsey not to "play it too fast". This little tidbit probably does not help at all in figuring out when Rhiannon was written in relation to that Alabama show. : > ) I just thought I would throw it out there anyway. She tells the audience she hopes they like it considering that it is "brand new".
When did Lindsey tour with the Everly Brothers? If we knew the dates on that, it could help pinpoint when Stevie was in Aspen writing Landslide and Rhiannon.

"She has an exquisite femininity"......Lindsey