The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-23-2020, 09:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There’s no question she deserves the recognition she has received for being such an electric performer with FM and on her own. Nowadays, she’s very much the parody of that former self, but still, what she was was incredible and original.

But let’s not pretend she was a pioneer for women’s rights or that her message has ever interrogated gender stereotypes or broken barriers for women. She was a dynamic woman who happened to seek artistic and professional support from the men she paid and/or enchanted into doing her bidding.

She has had her “girls” sing with her (to sound like CSN), she had a woman co-writer (Sandy Stewart), a woman who played congas and percussion on her first two tours, and a woman engineer on one or two of her albums. But wouldn’t it have been great if she built up her solo songs with women producers and musicians? Instead, each of her albums comes off sort of like a valentine to whomever she was involved with at the time.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So you're saying she dated Sheryl Crow?
Old 09-23-2020, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothegypsy View Post
She seemed to "date"(cough) anyone and everyone who produced her music. That was her signature.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothegypsy View Post
Touché. But SC was the exception, not the rule. And she doesn’t get recognition in Stevie’s RRHOF speech like Fiskin, Iovine, and Petty do.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I will admit that she accomplished a lot, with minimal talent.

Makes you wonder how she'd have gone if the world hadn't wanted to sleep with her...
BINGO!!! If she wouldn't have Lindsey, Paul Fishkin, Jimmy Iovine, Rupert Hine etc. she'd still be a waitress or singing in bars and clubs.

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 09-25-2020, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Her die hard fan base is almost extinct and she did it herself. She lost a lot of fans over Lindsey’s firing. Many people will not forgive for that. She ruined any chance of them recording again. No one cares about this new, fake Fleetwood Mac group. Hardly anyone posts anymore.

Her new album is behind Bella Donna and Crystal Visions on sales and it’s a brand new album. Even though it’s just a Live album it should be #1. Not good for her.
Yep, I've loved this woman for more than 40 years and now I loathe her. She has an ugly, dark personality now. It's all about her. She became a narcissist who doesn't care.
I don't believe for a second that she's sincere about the Notorious RBG. If she loved her so much why hasn't she mentioned RBG ever before??
This is just about herself, a desperate attempt to stay relevant.

I do not forgive her for having Lindsey fired, for giving Mick the ultimatum:"It's him or me?" Or for the fact that he nearly died and she never contacted him. She seems to forget that he made her songs into hits and that she needed his help with Soldiers Angel on IYD.
She thinks she's the bomb when in actual fact she's a POS.

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 09-25-2020, 11:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Catdancer View Post
Yep, I've loved this woman for more than 40 years and now I loathe her. She has an ugly, dark personality now. It's all about her. She became a narcissist who doesn't care.
I don't believe for a second that she's sincere about the Notorious RBG. If she loved her so much why hasn't she mentioned RBG ever before??
This is just about herself, a desperate attempt to stay relevant.

I do not forgive her for having Lindsey fired, for giving Mick the ultimatum:"It's him or me?" Or for the fact that he nearly died and she never contacted him. She seems to forget that he made her songs into hits and that she needed his help with Soldiers Angel on IYD.
She thinks she's the bomb when in actual fact she's a POS.
Oh he's bailed her out on MANY of her solo songs over the years. Even her hero, Tom, admitted in an interview (I think in her Behind the Music actually) that LB is "still her best producer" and that he (Tom) would be struggling to figure out something on one of her songs and then she'd ask LB for help and he'd say do this, this, and that and Tom would hear LB's ideas and go "Oh, of course" (his words). She HATES that, until she's stuck and Tom or Dave can't figure it out and then she asks his help.

I love when she says NOW how she and Chris had some pact about never letting men in the biz push them around and walking into a room all 'fierce' or whatever, but if you go back and listen to a lot of her old interviews it's not that at ALL. In one of her Bella Donna interviews she talks about dating JD and Don and being around the Eagles and how she learned very quickly "they were not interested in my career or FM at all" and that her strategy was to be "very quiet and unassuming around them and just trick them to death" ie charm them into helping her etc. Not very feminist if you ask me. And she's said a TON of sh*t like that over the years. I mean, jeebus, she let Jimmy push her downstairs into his basement to hide her away from Tom and she put up with it. WTF??
Old 09-26-2020, 06:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Oh he's bailed her out on MANY of her solo songs over the years. Even her hero, Tom, admitted in an interview (I think in her Behind the Music actually) that LB is "still her best producer" and that he (Tom) would be struggling to figure out something on one of her songs and then she'd ask LB for help and he'd say do this, this, and that and Tom would hear LB's ideas and go "Oh, of course" (his words). She HATES that, until she's stuck and Tom or Dave can't figure it out and then she asks his help.

I love when she says NOW how she and Chris had some pact about never letting men in the biz push them around and walking into a room all 'fierce' or whatever, but if you go back and listen to a lot of her old interviews it's not that at ALL. In one of her Bella Donna interviews she talks about dating JD and Don and being around the Eagles and how she learned very quickly "they were not interested in my career or FM at all" and that her strategy was to be "very quiet and unassuming around them and just trick them to death" ie charm them into helping her etc. Not very feminist if you ask me. And she's said a TON of sh*t like that over the years. I mean, jeebus, she let Jimmy push her downstairs into his basement to hide her away from Tom and she put up with it. WTF??
please tell me what you referred to regarding Jimmy pushing jher into a basement.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
please tell me what you referred to regarding Jimmy pushing jher into a basement.
You can watch The Defiant Ones and her full Rock and Roll Hall of Fame acceptance speech to hear about the basement, and the pizza bagels too.

Push wasn't meant that he made her tumble down stairs; push as in shoo, demand, direct, or force - not place his hands on her and thrust.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Amazing how the threads in the Stevie forum are the only ones with any action here.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Amazing how the threads in the Stevie forum are the only ones with any action here.
What a brilliant and award-worthy post. Did you attend Harvard or Yale?!