User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Its been a week and I miss my Buttons.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 09-01-2016, 06:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Are you going to get yourself a new cat? If so, do you have a good rescue centre near you?

My two cats (Lottie and Solo) are from a rescue centre. Lottie lived with a family that mistreated her. When she was expecting a litter of kittens the family dog chewed her leg off so the family threw her out. A passer-by found her in a storm in a drain- only one of the litter survived (Solo). We've had them for about 6 years now. Lottie gets around well with only three legs. She's quite funny to watch when she gets into an argument with other cats- she forgets she only has three legs and waves her stump around in the air menacingly.
I'd recommend pets from a shelter.

I know you are grieving over Buttons but a seeing a new cat might help you to move on.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:39 AM
Registered

Quote:
you should go find a a rescue or 2

Obviously you need the companionship and they need to have a loving home , just remember there will be an adjustment period but it will be good for both of you .

you Obviously loved Buttons ,and he best way to honor her memory is to give a home to one in need and it will do wonders for your own well being .
Old 09-01-2016, 08:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post

Obviously you need the companionship and they need to have a loving home , just remember there will be an adjustment period but it will be good for both of you .

you Obviously loved Buttons ,and he best way to honor her memory is to give a home to one in need and it will do wonders for your own well being .
I've heard people to often say "but I couldn't replace my pet". Yet it isn't about replacing them, it is about giving another animal a home that doesn't have one. Which is why I don't like pet shops and the like. There are enough animals around that have no homes without more being bred. Which is why we have four cats and a dog.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:24 AM

I agree with everyone up. It's hard when you lose a pet because they're a member of your family, almost like a child since you do have to take care of them and we end up investing a lot of affection and bond strongly with them. That's particularly true if it's our first animal or an animal that accompanied us for long during our life.
Since you can't re-adopt another right away and maybe you still don't feel ready, try doing some little charity work with animals to help you during your grieving. Even if there's not a shelter near your house, you can help stray cats in your neighborhood. Me and my family (as well as other families) have arranged some sheltered beddings for stray cats and bring them food.
I assure you that even when you''ll have another pet it won't tarnish the memories you had with Buttons, I think none of us have forgotten even slightly any pet we had.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the advice and kind words guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I agree with everyone up. It's hard when you lose a pet because they're a member of your family, almost like a child since you do have to take care of them and we end up investing a lot of affection and bond strongly with them. That's particularly true if it's our first animal or an animal that accompanied us for long during our life.
Since you can't re-adopt another right away and maybe you still don't feel ready, try doing some little charity work with animals to help you during your grieving. Even if there's not a shelter near your house, you can help stray cats in your neighborhood. Me and my family (as well as other families) have arranged some sheltered beddings for stray cats and bring them food.
I assure you that even when you''ll have another pet it won't tarnish the memories you had with Buttons, I think none of us have forgotten even slightly any pet we had.
Thank You.Yes .Thats what I'm thinks to got down to the center and help out in her name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
I've heard people to often say "but I couldn't replace my pet". Yet it isn't about replacing them, it is about giving another animal a home that doesn't have one. Which is why I don't like pet shops and the like. There are enough animals around that have no homes without more being bred. Which is why we have four cats and a dog.
Yes .I agree.Yes .Get them neutered and spayed like Bob Barker for years and now Drew Carey saying on The Price is Right game show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Are you going to get yourself a new cat? If so, do you have a good rescue centre near you?

My two cats (Lottie and Solo) are from a rescue centre. Lottie lived with a family that mistreated her. When she was expecting a litter of kittens the family dog chewed her leg off so the family threw her out. A passer-by found her in a storm in a drain- only one of the litter survived (Solo). We've had them for about 6 years now. Lottie gets around well with only three legs. She's quite funny to watch when she gets into an argument with other cats- she forgets she only has three legs and waves her stump around in the air menacingly.
I'd recommend pets from a shelter.

I know you are grieving over Buttons but a seeing a new cat might help you to move on.
Yes I got the local shelter here and towns around me that I can make my rounds when I'm ready.Most of them are connected to the www.petfinder.com website which I've been looking at now.I'll go to the local shelter first since its a couple miles from here and its not on Petfinder.com. .I read the pros and cons online about getting the same cat fur color and reusing names .I do want a another black cat since I think they are cool and makes me think of the Sheba cat food commercial.I should have no problem finding one since some people dont like black cats since they are bad luck in their mind.I if I dont like her current name .I would like to rename her Stephanie or Rhiannon which was my first cats name.I probably nick name her Buttons Jr .It would be cool if Stevie used a black cat in her Rhiannon photos.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Yes I got the local shelter here and towns around me that I can make my rounds when I'm ready.Most of them are connected to the www.petfinder.com website which I've been looking at now.I'll go to the local shelter first since its a couple miles from here and its not on Petfinder.com. .I read the pros and cons online about getting the same cat fur color and reusing names .I do want a another black cat since I think they are cool and makes me think of the Sheba cat food commercial.I should have no problem finding one since some people dont like black cats since they are bad luck in their mind.I if I dont like her current name .I would like to rename her Stephanie or Rhiannon which was my first cats name.I probably nick name her Buttons Jr. It would be cool if Stevie used a black cat in her Rhiannon photos.
Good luck, you're doing the right thing. And names usually have to adapt to their personality, after you'll get to know your new pet you'll know what name is right for him/her.
And yes, every cat is cool, but black cats are especially cool for me too, my Perla was a total brilliant black. In the bad luck that struck me with my computer, it still happened that the software engineering company found some old photos of her that I had forgotten about in my hard drive:

Old 09-02-2016, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Good luck, you're doing the right thing. And names usually have to adapt to their personality, after you'll get to know your new pet you'll know what name is right for him/her.
And yes, every cat is cool, but black cats are especially cool for me too, my Perla was a total brilliant black. In the bad luck that struck me with my computer, it still happened that the software engineering company found some old photos of her that I had forgotten about in my hard drive:

Thank you .Yes .I agree. Wow. She's beautiful and looks like Buttons.I'm glad they found and saved it for you from cyberspace. .

Old 09-14-2016, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

. Now its been 3 weeks at this time at 2pm that I lost Buttons.I miss her so much.My guilt on not keeping her in check with the fleas and vet trips.The house is quiet.I wish its a freaking nightmare and I wake up and shes right there in front of me.

Heres some more photos of her.

At this time .What is strange is Stevie coming out of the woodwork with her upcoming tour and her appearance on America's Got Talent tonight.I really need that now.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love all your pictures of Buttons. She was such a beautiful girl. Its all so hard. The guilt is the worst part it will eat you up and destroy you if you let it. What helped for me was just keeping myself very busy and going away on a few vacations. Having that extra time to relax made me think about things so much more clearly.
Tank was the first cat I ever had pass away and I still constantly cry about him. Our beautiful boy was only 12 when he passed and never had an issue until he turned 11. It started out with having to have a few teeth removed and then with blood work is was discovered his ALT was raised and then over the course of a few months he would have bouts where he wasnt eating and puking. My other cat had his gallbladder out around the same time so I took Tank to the same internal medicine doc at a place called PVSEC in Pittsburgh. He would get better but in July they did a liver aspirate to see if he had Lymphoma and at the time it came back negative. September hit and he completely stopped eating again and a feeding tube was put in and he tested positive for lymphoma in November. We took him every week for chemo and he did really well he was such a trooper and gave all the techs and docs kisses he was just such a loving cat that really just wanted to be held and petted 24/7.
After a few months they changed his chemo to every 3 weeks and around April it was discovered that his bile duct kept dilating. The docs kept an eye on it and then on May 12th they decided to operate on him and sew his gallbladder to his small intestine. His bile duct at that point was 1.7 cm and they were very worried it was going to rupture. At the time Tank only had a few remaining cancer cells left in his liver but he was steadily losing weight even though he was eating a lot of food. When they did the surgery they also took biopsies of his small intestine and liver and stuff and then they put in a feeding tube.
We lost Tank on May 17th. We got to take him home on that Monday and he looked great but very skinny. The next morning he kept laying in his litter box and didnt want anything to do with me but he was still on pain meds so I figured he was just being weird from those. I went to feed him through his tube that day at 1:30 and I am pretty sure he passed just a few minutes later after he violently threw up. I wasnt quite sure if he was still alive so I rushed him to PVSEC and they brought him back but said that since he was without oxygen for a while he would never be the same so we had to put him down. It was the most heart wrenching thing I have ever gone through to have seen my baby boy pass away twice and to be the one feeding him when it happened. There is always a part of me that will always question what really happened because even though aspiration was listed as the final cause of his death I still believe something else was going on. I have pictures of him earlier that day and he didnt even look like himself. My hubby and I loved him with all our hearts and pray that one day we get to see him again.
We will get more cats someday but not right now since we still have Gimzo our IBD cat to take care of. We are so happy to still have Gizmo. I always say he is a miracle cat every single day he's here is a blessing. He's had a hiatal hernia, IBD, ulcers, cholangeohepatitis, pancreatitis and his gallbladder removed and he still is the happiest boy in the world. I think animals really are just so amazing and to find that unconditional love is really something special.
Here is a pic of our baby T that was taken just a few months before he passed. He always looked like a kitten to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13344774_10154260713242460_2675064922148631415_n.jpg (64.1 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by kak125; 09-14-2016 at 02:53 PM..
Old 09-14-2016, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kak125 View Post
I love all your pictures of Buttons. She was such a beautiful girl. Its all so hard. The guilt is the worst part it will eat you up and destroy you if you let it. What helped for me was just keeping myself very busy and going away on a few vacations. Having that extra time to relax made me think about things so much more clearly.
Tank was the first cat I ever had pass away and I still constantly cry about him. Our beautiful boy was only 12 when he passed and never had an issue until he turned 11. It started out with having to have a few teeth removed and then with blood work is was discovered his ALT was raised and then over the course of a few months he would have bouts where he wasnt eating and puking. My other cat had his gallbladder out around the same time so I took Tank to the same internal medicine doc at a place called PVSEC in Pittsburgh. He would get better but in July they did a liver aspirate to see if he had Lymphoma and at the time it came back negative. September hit and he completely stopped eating again and a feeding tube was put in and he tested positive for lymphoma in November. We took him every week for chemo and he did really well he was such a trooper and gave all the techs and docs kisses he was just such a loving cat that really just wanted to be held and petted 24/7.
After a few months they changed his chemo to every 3 weeks and around April it was discovered that his bile duct kept dilating. The docs kept an eye on it and then on May 12th they decided to operate on him and sew his gallbladder to his small intestine. His bile duct at that point was 1.7 cm and they were very worried it was going to rupture. At the time Tank only had a few remaining cancer cells left in his liver but he was steadily losing weight even though he was eating a lot of food. When they did the surgery they also took biopsies of his small intestine and liver and stuff and then they put in a feeding tube.
We lost Tank on May 17th. We got to take him home on that Monday and he looked great but very skinny. The next morning he kept laying in his litter box and didnt want anything to do with me but he was still on pain meds so I figured he was just being weird from those. I went to feed him through his tube that day at 1:30 and I am pretty sure he passed just a few minutes later after he violently threw up. I wasnt quite sure if he was still alive so I rushed him to PVSEC and they brought him back but said that since he was without oxygen for a while he would never be the same so we had to put him down. It was the most heart wrenching thing I have ever gone through to have seen my baby boy pass away twice and to be the one feeding him when it happened. There is always a part of me that will always question what really happened because even though aspiration was listed as the final cause of his death I still believe something else was going on. I have pictures of him earlier that day and he didnt even look like himself. My hubby and I loved him with all our hearts and pray that one day we get to see him again.
We will get more cats someday but not right now since we still have Gimzo our IBD cat to take care of. We are so happy to still have Gizmo. I always say he is a miracle cat every single day he's here is a blessing. He's had a hiatal hernia, IBD, ulcers, cholangeohepatitis, pancreatitis and his gallbladder removed and he still is the happiest boy in the world. I think animals really are just so amazing and to find that unconditional love is really something special.
Here is a pic of our baby T that was taken just a few months before he passed. He always looked like a kitten to me.
Thanks for the kind word about Buttons.I wish I was more alert with her issues that were coming up quickly .Sorry to hear about your Tank.He went through alot I see Gizmo has too and I will say prayers for Gizmo to be with you for a long time.Animals insides run like ours and they need to be taking care of like us when we get ill.They cant speak like us saying "I dont feel good" .Thats a beautiful pix of Tank.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wish I can have a cat like Creme Puff.

38 years old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creme_Puff_(cat)

Old 09-15-2016, 08:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks for the kind word about Buttons.I wish I was more alert with her issues that were coming up quickly .Sorry to hear about your Tank.He went through alot I see Gizmo has too and I will say prayers for Gizmo to be with you for a long time.Animals insides run like ours and they need to be taking care of like us when we get ill.They cant speak like us saying "I dont feel good" .Thats a beautiful pix of Tank.
You are very welcome. Please dont beat yourself up over this you took good care of Buttons. You loved her and she loved you. You did the best you could for her and she will be in your heart forever. Thank you very much for the nice words about Tank and for praying for Gizmo. I look at him every single day and tell him he needs to live to at least be 20. Its so true animals cant tell us whats wrong which sometimes makes it so hard to figure out how they are really feeling. One thing I can say is through this ordeal I have learned so much and realized that I am way stronger than I ever thought I was. You will figure this out too but it takes time. Just try not to rush yourself through this grieving process its hard but you will get through it I know that. If you ever need to talk you can always pm me too.
Thank you I loved taking pics of Tank. He was so photogenic and would just light up the room. He was just so happy all the time I always called him my little ray of sunshine.
Sending you lots of hugs.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

38 years old.

Wow that would be awesome!!
Old 09-15-2016, 10:28 AM
Registered

Quote:

38 years old.

go get a Cat NOW you need to

there is a shelter cat who needs a home and you need a cat it's a Win/Win situation

shelter may be putting a hold on cats especially black ones as we approach Halloween

you are not replacing buttons But saving a life

JUST DO IT !
you will feel better