The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Rock A Little track listing - November 1984 - And More!

I was rummaging through my Stevie Boxes to find the lyrics to "Night Hawk" for APerfectLie (still, the Night Hawk eludes me!), and I found some ancient fanzines with some cool info. The "What might have beens" and unreleased recordings have always fascinated me, and I thought I'd share a few cool things I read.

In the November 1984 issue of Dreams, the editor is given an update on Rock A Little by Ginny Kamano, the woman who used to do Stevie's fan mail. Ginny says that 21 songs were recorded for Rock A Little in Dallas and Los Angeles, and that it will be released on January 15, 1985. She lists several of the tracks recorded for possible inclusion:

"Mirror, Mirror" ~ The lead single to precede the album's release!
"Chanel, Chanel"
"Lady From The Mountains"
"One More Big Time Rock And Roll Star"
"The Dealer"
"Thousand Days"
"Rock A Little"
"Battle Of The Dragon" ~ With Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers

Of course, Rock A Little was not released in January 1985, and in August 1985, the new release date was October 1985, with 25 songs now fully recorded for the album, including:

"Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You?"
"She Still Loves Him"
"Sister Honey"

Isn't it wild that only 3 of those songs made it onto the official album? Also, while I've heard Rock A Little era recordings of "Lady From The Mountains", I've never heard any version of "The Dealer" from then! Wow!

It's also noted that Don Henley sang back-up on two songs(one of which is presumably "Reconsider Me") and Lindsey on one. Also, Dave Stewart produced two tracks for Stevie as well! "Don't Come Around Here No More", which she gave up and... ?
Old 09-25-2010, 08:06 AM
Registered

Fascinating what might have been, and exciting that any possible deluxe reissue of 'RAL' easily could be 2 cds. I'd love a deluxe RAL with all the unissued tracks. I can only imagine how many photo sessions in all those delays they went through, also. Could be an awesome booklet and a really excellent re-release. Think it will ever happen?
Old 09-25-2010, 08:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
Fascinating what might have been, and exciting that any possible deluxe reissue of 'RAL' easily could be 2 cds. I'd love a deluxe RAL with all the unissued tracks. I can only imagine how many photo sessions in all those delays they went through, also. Could be an awesome booklet and a really excellent re-release. Think it will ever happen?
I hope so!!! With lots of gorgeous never-before-seen photos of Stevie! Diana Ross did it. Stevie can do it!

I meant to mention above that "Whole Lotta Trouble" was going to be a b-side for one of Tango's singles, since it was bumped off of the album proper for "Welcome To The Room... Sara".
Old 09-25-2010, 08:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That August 1985 issue of Dreams said that Stevie had been recording in L.A. in May with Jimmy Iovine and Rick Nowels. That sparked a few things in my head. If "Mirror, Mirror" was going to be the lead single, and TPTB decided it wouldn't be as effective as another song, was this when Stevie was "encouraged" to record Warren Zevon's "Reconsider Me", to give her a hit single?

Also, when Stevie performed at the Bodega Bay with (then boyfriend) Les Dudek in May 1985, before she sang "Talk To Me", she said, "This is a very new song!" (BTW, mind-blowingly crazily wonderfully wild ragged version, IMO!!!!). So, another song Stevie didn't write coming in later on, possible to boost the commerciality of Rock A Little.

"Chanel, Chanel" ~ Well, the recording we all have is from circa 1998 with Sheryl, yes, so it's another oldie Stevie dredged up from the Vault, since it was on the track listings for Rock A Little in Late 1984. I really like the lyrics to that song! I wonder what the Rock A Little version sounds like!!!
Old 09-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebise View Post
"Chanel, Chanel" ~ Well, the recording we all have is from circa 1998 with Sheryl, yes, so it's another oldie Stevie dredged up from the Vault, since it was on the track listings for Rock A Little in Late 1984. I really like the lyrics to that song! I wonder what the Rock A Little version sounds like!!!
I would give my right arm (or left) to hear the RAL version of Chanel, Chanel! You guys know that's like my favorite song ever.
Who ever is out there keeping it all to themselves I beg of you, give up the RAL Chanel!!

Or better yet, Stevie release it on your new album!
Old 09-10-2011, 12:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireSister View Post
I would give my right arm (or left) to hear the RAL version of Chanel, Chanel! You guys know that's like my favorite song ever.
Who ever is out there keeping it all to themselves I beg of you, give up the RAL Chanel!!

Or better yet, Stevie release it on your new album!
Yes, if someone can post a link to a download f or this version please do!
Old 09-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Nikolaj
This message has been deleted by Nikolaj. Reason: unneccesary rehash and not too relevant!
Old 09-25-2010, 08:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

In the 11th issue of Velvet Underground (April 1987), they mention how "Welcome To The Room... Sara" was very important for Stevie to include on the album after she came out of the Betty Ford Clinic, so it bumped off one of her other songs on Tango In The Night. Stevie had recorded at least seven songs for the album, and one of the axed songs was... "Whole Lotta Trouble"!!! This is April 1987 when it was published. All these long lost mysterious things.

BTW, the album's original title was Forbidden, then The Last Tango, before finally settling with Tango In The Night. Stevie was originally only going to be allowed to have two songs on the album, but Warner Bros. insisted she have three.

"Seven Wonders"
"Welcome To The Room... Sara"
"When I See You Again"
"Joan Of Arc"
"What Has Rock And Roll Ever Done For You?" (I've never heard a FM version of this, only Stevie solo)
"Juliet"
"Whole Lotta Trouble" (I wonder how this sounds!!! Off in some vault!)
Old 09-25-2010, 08:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is from the Affairs Of The Heart fanzine from the Netherlands:

September 1992 - STREET ANGEL is "completed", just needing mixing and mastering, with a Spring 1993 release date expected. "Thousand Days" has been recorded with another producer (Chris Lord-Alge) and may or may not make it on the Glyn Johns-produced album. "Kick It" is mentioned. "Street Angel" is said to have been written about homeless children during the L.A. riots.

Again, an alternate version of "Silver Springs" is supposed to be on the upcoming FM Box Set. "Paper Doll" is named as Stevie's new song on the box.

Stevie's recorded a duet, "Secret", with Robin Zander, to be released in 1992.

April 1994 - Track listing for STREET ANGEL:
Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind
Blue Denim
Unconditional Love
Destiny
Listen To The Rain
Rose Garden
Street Angel
Just Like A Woman
I Call You Missing
Kick It
Inspiration
Greta
Jane's Song
Docklands
Old 09-25-2010, 08:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Interesting...this is the first I think it's ever been mentioned that "Chanel, Chanel" is actually from the RAL era. Weird. I think most just assumed that it's a much more recent song.

http://www.twitter.com/jtwill84
Old 09-25-2010, 08:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Stevie had recorded at least seven songs for the album, and one of the axed songs was... "Whole Lotta Trouble"!!! This is April 1987 when it was published. All these long lost mysterious things.
Billboard magazine from October 11, 1986 reports that Stevie cut a single titled "Whole Lot Of Trouble" for a future Fleetwood Mac album at Ardent Studios in Memphis (Joe Hardy engineerd and Pat Taylor assisted)

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/
Old 09-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanne2 View Post
Billboard magazine from October 11, 1986 reports that Stevie cut a single titled "Whole Lot Of Trouble" for a future Fleetwood Mac album at Ardent Studios in Memphis (Joe Hardy engineerd and Pat Taylor assisted)
How exciting! Can you imagine what it sounds like??? Open the Vaults!!! Reissues!!!!
Old 09-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanne2 View Post
WLT was definitely around in '86. Stevie sang the line, "this could be a whole lotta trouble for you" after one of the songs at one of the Jones Beach RAL shows.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In the 11th issue of Velvet Underground
BTW, the album's original title was Forbidden, then The Last Tango, before finally settling with Tango In The Night. Stevie was originally only going to be allowed to have two songs on the album, but Warner Bros. insisted she have three.
Scandalous. Now that is some major band resentment towards her.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Another interesting thing I noticed in an old Billboard issue from september 1986: Atlantic announces the release of "The Best Of Stevie Nicks" in November that year!
I guess they realised it was a bit early.

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/