Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stevie's manager is dead

I think Sheryl Louis is still her main manager, but Howard K was her management company.

http://www.pollstarpro.com/NewsConte...ticleID=829048

HOWARD KAUFMAN PASSES AWAY
By Joe Reinartz
Posted Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 10:12 am

Music manager Howard Kaufman has passed away, Pollstar has confirmed.

Kaufman was one of the most powerful managers in the industry despite keeping a low profile. At the time of his death his company, H.K. Management, shepherded acts like Stevie Nicks, Aerosmith, Jimmy Buffett, Jeff Lynne’s ELO, Lenny Kravitz, Chicago, and Def Leppard, along with co-managing Fleetwood Mac.

Kaufman and Irving Azoff ran Front Line Management from 1974 to the early '80s until Azoff was named prexy of MCA records. The two merged their companies in 2005 and resurrected the moniker.

Kaufman became a special adviser to Azoff when Ticketmaster bought the company in 2008 and Azoff was named CEO of Ticketmaster Entertainment. He is also credited, during his days at IFA, with encouraging Fred Bohlander and Dan Weiner to step out on their own and form Monterey Peninsula Artists.
Developing.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And the follow-up from Fleetwood Mac's manager...

http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=829055

Azoff Issues Statement Regarding Kaufman's Passing
01:01 PM Thursday 1/19/17 0 | |

Irving Azoff has released a short but moving statement about the passing of his former partner, Howard Kaufman.

Howard was a giant among men. He never sought the spotlight, but was the best in the business.

We worked together for more than 45 years. He was a great influence on me and taught me a lot.

Despite his major health issues, he always wanted to work till the end and I’m glad he got his wish.

It’s a tragic loss for our industry. He will be missed by me as well as scores of others he touched.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:11 AM

I wonder if this will somehow influence bureaucratically Stevie's and FM's careers.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

FRONTLINE.......BABY !!!! Well, you've held her prisoner after all these years.....well as well as you knew her!!!

OH, the self-induced DRAMA !!!!
Old 01-20-2017, 11:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The big HK. That's surprising news.

Michele
Old 01-21-2017, 02:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

RIP, my heart goes out to his loved ones.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.billboard.com/articles/bu...howard-kaufman

Stevie Nicks, Joe Walsh, Members of Def Leppard Honor Late Manager Howard Kaufman
1/26/2017 by Shirley Halperin/Billboard

A reception for the industry veteran drew a rock star-worthy crowd.

A reception for veteran music manager Howard Kaufman, who died unexpectedly in the early morning hours of Jan. 19, drew a rock star-worthy crowd to Los Angeles' Hillcrest Country Club on Jan. 25.

Among the musicians to pay their respects were longtime clients Stevie Nicks, members of Def Leppard (Joe Elliott, Rick Savage) and Aerosmith (Steven Tyler) along with Fleetwood Mac's Mick Fleetwood, The Eagles' Joe Walsh and Poison's Bret Michaels.

Many industry heavy-hitters were also in attendance, including Irving Azoff and his wife Shelli; CAA head of music Rob Light and agent Mitch Rose; Michael Jackson estate co-executor John Branca; Maverick Management's Larry Rudolph (Britney Spears); Songwriter Diane Warren; Hertz Lichtenstein & Young attorney Jamie Young; former Capitol chief executives Andy Slater and Phil Quartararo; Universal Music Enterprises CEO Bruce Resnikoff; and PR veterans Mitch Schneider and Marcee Rondon of MSO, and Liz Rosenberg, longtime rep for Kaufman clients Nicks and Chris Isaak, the latter of whom told the Los Angeles Times that Kaufman was “the Fred Astaire of management."

A graduate of UCLA , Kaufman started out in management working with Chicago while the group was still in its nascent stage. He went on to form Front Line Management with Azoff in 1974. Later, he launched HK Management where he represented and advised the likes of Janet Jackson, Lenny Kravitz and Jimmy Buffett.

Kaufman is survived by his wife, Caroline; son, Brett; daughters Brooke Halsband and Elle Kaufman; and three grandchildren.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Howard Kaufman, manager for the Eagles, Aerosmith and Stevie Nicks, dies at 79

Steve Marble
Veteran music manager Howard Kaufman, who guided the careers of the Eagles, Aerosmith and Stevie Nicks and helped pull off some of the mightiest rock ’n’ roll world tours of his day, has died at 79.

Kaufman died Thursday and had continued working until the day before his death, said Craig Fruin, a longtime business associate.

In an industry filled with larger-than-life personalities and supercharged egos, Kaufman was an even-keeled executive who blended an accountant’s mastery of number-crunching with a fatherly sense of rewarding his clients with long careers and sustained success, friends and clients said.

“He wasn’t stereotype Hollywood, at all. He was low-key, non-hype,” singer and sometimes-actor Chris Isaak said Tuesday. “He was that rare little island of reality.”

Over the decades, Kaufman managed or assisted a distinguished stable of musicians and rock acts — the Eagles, Steely Dan, Heart, Janet Jackson, Boston, Boz Scaggs, Three Dog Night, The Go-Go’s, Fiona Apple, Don Henley.

Though long past conventional retirement age, Kaufman continued to handle clients through his management agency, HK Management, including Jimmy Buffett, Aerosmith, Chicago, Lenny Kravitz, Nicks and Isaak.

Isaak said he had a deep admiration for Kaufman’s nearly innate money-management skills.

“You could be at lunch planning a 50-date tour and, off the top of his head, he could tell you how many seats you sold in Kansas City last time, what you could expect this time, what size the venue was, whether it would work and — this was all while he was just passing the bread,” Isaak said. “He was the Fred Astaire of management, so good, you know, you just loved watching him.”

Kaufman graduated from UCLA in 1960, served in the Army and set out on a career as an accountant. In 1969, he became a partner and business manager at Caribou Management, getting his first taste of rock stardom when he worked with Chicago, then still an emerging rock band.

A decade later, he joined Irving Azoff at Front Line Management, one of the dominate forces in entertainment management. Kaufman later bought out Azoff and rebranded the company as HK Management.

In addition to juggling the careers, tour schedules and album releases of top recording artists, he managed or served as a consultant on often extravagant and complex world tours for the Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac and Paul McCartney’s Wings Across America tour in the mid-’70s, when McCartney first began injecting his Beatles standards into his performances.

Kaufman also was involved in the production and music coordination of several films, including “Urban Cowboy” and “Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Nicks, in an interview Tuesday, said that Kaufman — with his this-is-how-we’re-going-to-do-it attitude — likely kept her from running out of money during her early days with Fleetwood Mac.

“Let’s face it. We were all a little high, we were all a little stupid and without Howard, I’m sure I would have been broke,” Nicks said. “He’d say, ‘You don’t need to have three houses, Stevie. You need to put some of that money away in savings.’ ”

Though wonkish when it came to numbers, Kaufman also was a fierce negotiator.

Nicks said that Kaufman once held her father’s feet to the fire when he balked at paying her usual six-figure guarantee for making a tour stop at a concert venue he owned in the Phoenix area. She said her father later called her to complain.

“I said, ‘Dad, you always told me to have a manager I trusted.’ ” She said that her father eventually relented and that the concert proceeds easily covered the guarantee.

Isaak had similar memories.

“When you’re going to a meeting and everyone has their guns and knives out, take Howard Kaufman,” he said. “The guy just didn’t have a back-down gear.”

Fruin worked with Kaufman for 40 years and said despite his successes and an always-impressive roster of famous clients, his friend remained selfless and grounded.

“His joy was his family, and his reward was helping people succeed,” Fruin said.

Kaufman is survived by his wife, Caroline; son, Brett; daughters Brooke Halsband and Elle Kaufman; and three grandchildren.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituar...124-story.html

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 01-27-2017 at 12:03 AM..
Old 01-27-2017, 10:12 AM
Registered

really

all about money
Old 01-27-2017, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
really

all about money
Yes, it would be totally weird if she talked about money when addressing the relationship she had with her manager.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:04 AM

Harry Sandler, Rock Photographer & Famed Tour Manager, Dies at 73

Harry Sandler passed away on Saturday (Sept. 2) after a brief fight against cancer. Sandler had spent much of his career as a tour manager working with Irving Azoff, assisting with the careers and tours of artists like John Mellencamp, Eagles, Katy Perry, Billy Joel, Jewel, Van Halen, Bruce Springsteen and Stevie Nicks.

Sandler retired in 2008, returning to photography as the digital revolution was taking over, focusing both on music and, later, landscape photography. He met his partner Debra Rathwell of AEG Presents in 1980 when she was a promoter for Bass Clef Entertainment and he was tour managing Springsteen. As the story goes, they argued over some obstructed seats, she pretended to cry, the argument was dropped, they stayed friends and became romantically involved in 2002. They lived together in a white center hall colonial house in Mount Vernon, New York, where Sandler's studio occupied the third floor.

"He started out in the music business as a photographer but it was too difficult to earn a living that way, so he became a tour manager," Rathwell tells Billboard. "But he always continued taking photographs. He liked black and white odd photos and music photos and landscapes. He was two people in that way -- photographer and tour manager."

Sandler was born in Tallahassee, Florida, in 1944 and spent his childhood in Atlantic City, where his large extended family owned a summer boarding house. When he was 18, Sandler enlisted in the military and was stationed in the demilitarized zone between South and North Korea.

"He describes his type of work in the army as being the Company Clerk -- just like the Radar O’Reilly character from the TV show MASH," Rathwell tells Billboard. "When the ship docked back into San Francisco in 1964, his choices were to take the tab of acid that his cousin brought with him when he met Harry at the ship, or go back to the Bronx and marry his girlfriend. He took the tab of acid and moved to Haight-Ashbury where he became immersed in the music business for the rest of his life."

Sandler worked for Bill Graham at the Fillmore East in the early days of his career and was involved in a number of high-profile events including the US Festival, tour managing Barbra Streisand, running the Big Apple Circus, producing Simon & Garfunkel's 1981 Central Park concert and working with artists like Debbie Harry, Joan Jett and Nicks. He briefly came out of retirement in 2012 to work with Perry, who referred to Sandler as the "Papa Smurf of our tour family" with "a heart of gold to all.

"Words are inadequate, to sum up what Harry Sandler meant to everyone he touched during his incredible life," Perry tells Billboard. "I will be forever honored he came out of retirement for me. We will all miss his unwavering warmth and kindness, which created a coziness only he could instill, making every new city stop feel just like home for us. We were all inspired by his constant curiosity and enthusiastic outlook on life displayed through his brilliant photographs as he documented tour life," adding "His spirit and smile will forever be our mantra, city after city."

Sandler spent nearly a decade working with Irving Azoff's management company and Azoff described Sandler as "one of most accomplished tour managers I have ever known."

He was also an earlier pioneer in VIP ticketing, working with Azoff to create a company called ILoveAllAccess that eventually was merged into Artist Nation after the two left Live Nation.

"It was the first real VIP experience that gave fans real customer service and an experience and not just a ticket and a piece of merchandise," Azoff tells Billboard. "He was an incredible mentor to his son Jesse, who has become a road warrior and accomplished touring executive just like his dad, and to [daughter] Emilie, who has also become a road warrior."

Jesse Sandler now works as a production manager and tour director for acts that include Bon Jovi, Phish and Nickelback. In 1999, his father invited Sandler to tour the country with Mellencamp -- "I jumped at the opportunity to do so," Jesse Sandler tells Billboard.

"Touring with him as an adult shaped me," Jesse Sandler added. "I looked up to him. He unknowingly pushed me to be the best person and touring professional I could be. We worked together on Mellencamp, The Eagles, Don Henley, Dancing With The Stars and Rock Band tours together in my early years. I was blessed to have him as my mentor. I always wanted to be like him."

Emilie Sandler works for Good Sense and Company in Brooklyn and tells Billboard, "As a teenager I spent a couple weeks on the road with dad during the summers helping out where I could," adding, "I began my touring career as a VIP coordinator for Van Halen, the Eagles and Def Leppard. I quickly moved on to be a production coordinator, road manager and assistant tour manager for bands including John Mellencamp, Phish, Katy Perry and the Grateful Dead."

Rathwell's daughter, Marcella Grimaux, also works in the business, moving to Montreal in 2009 to assist Dominic Champagne, show director of Love for Cirque du Soleil, on a project. She is now in video content creation.

Sandler was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer on June 29 and died 66 days later.

"Recently after his diagnosis, he was incredibly positive and calm," Azoff tells Billboard. "He convinced me he was winning the battle but no one wins against this horrible disease. I can't think of enough nice things to say about Harry's work ethic, demeanor, and skills. He will not be replaced!"

Following his death, tributes came pouring in from the people whose lives were touched by Sandler, like Dennis Arfa from Artist Group International, who calls Sandler "a man of integrity, honesty and always a straight shooter."

Perry's co-manager, Direct Management's Steve Jensen, described Sandler "as a man of many things to many people: seasoned tour manager, master tour accountant, sage advisor and ticketing expert. Most of all, he was our cherished friend and will forever be in our hearts."

Jensen also noted that Sandler was "a very talented and passionate photographer" who "beautifully captured great moments on the concert stage, serene landscapes and wrangling cowboys, all for us to enjoy and remember forever. I personally owe Harry my sincerest gratitude for his partnership in Katy Perry's touring. Harry was one-of-a kind and will be sorely missed."

Shelley Lazar with Live Nation's SLO said Sandler was a consummate professional. "From the Fillmore East to the Far East," adding that "he was always straightforward, smart and concerned with what was best, not only for the touring artists he represented but for all of us working with him. I will miss his 'always there' support and smile and the great stories we always told about the 'good old days.'"

CAA booking agent Carole Kinzel recalled rooming with Sandler "in a magical house in Philadelphia in the '70s with the members of the Edison Electric Band," who Sandler was managing at the time and whose members TJ Tindall, Mark Jordan and Freebo went on to successful music careers.

"Harry was the official photographer and creator of good cheer. I was just starting out with Electric Factory Concerts. We really were free spirits. We had such great hopes and dreams and were pure of heart if not always of action, and the music business had an emphasis on music not business," Kinzel said. "Last year we lost TJ and Harry and I were so distraught we spoke all of the time of our lost youth and how we loved those carefree days. We drove Debra crazy. No one made me laugh like Harry. He really understood me and still saw me as that young girl in love with music. I will miss him every day."

Many remember that Sandler often went out of his way to create special experiences everyone around him, even those he barely knew.

"I remember being a 32-year-old facility GM in Richmond and we were lucky enough to lure the Eagles to not only play, but rehearse for a week," says Larry Wilson, who now works at SMG. "We had an amazing week. I think they played the sold-out show on the Friday. On Thursday, the band was rehearsing at like 9 p.m. and I remember Harry coming up to my office and saying, 'I have a surprise for you.' He walked me into the arena and sat me down on the front row. He said, 'This one is for you' and the Eagles played "Hotel California" for this kid who knew nothing about the entertainment industry. We have spoken often over the years and I will never forget him or that moment. He was tough but made me feel like I was on top of the world for that four-minute song."

As a veteran and former military man, Sandler cared deeply for the non-profit Veterans Matter and worked to raise money for the group. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations in Sandler's name go to Veterans Matter.org/donate. Funeral arrangements are pending.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/bu...anager-dies-73