Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default FM is the 2nd Most Pirated

[This news surprised me about FM]

The Beatles are the most popular 'pirated' pop stars

Fleetwood Mac is second By Dave Neal Fri Nov 08 2013, 15:42 The Inquirer
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...ated-pop-stars

MOP TOP COMBO The Beatles are the most commonly found music group on filesharing 'pirate' websites, according to Muso, an organisation that keeps an eye on that sort of thing.

Muso reported that it has had a good look at online cyberlockers and filesharing web portals and found a great many examples of the Fab Four.

The report from the "complete anti-piracy solutions provider" was covered by Music Week. It said that a study of filelocker and Bittorrent websites found a large number of files related to The Beatles.

187,687 online Beatles files were found in the study. Second in the ranking was Fleetwood Mac, with 72,984 uploaded files, while Bob Marley was represented by 60,024 files, and Led Zeppelin by 59,011 files.

The list was culled from websites that respect takedown notices, so not all will be included.

The Beatles were late to the download party and only, we say only, appeared on iTunes in 2010. It seems like just yesterday.

All parties were glad when the Fab Four fell into the Apple fold, and Steve Jobs, who might have named Apple after the Beatles' Apple record label, was glowing at the time.

"We love the Beatles and are honored and thrilled to welcome them to iTunes," said Jobs, who was then Apple's CEO. "It has been a long and winding road to get here. Thanks to the Beatles and EMI, we are now realizing a dream we've had since we launched iTunes ten years ago," Jobs added.

"I am particularly glad to no longer be asked when the Beatles are coming to iTunes," added drummer Ringo Starr at the time. "At last, if you want it - you can get it now - The Beatles from Liverpool to now! Peace and Love, Ringo."

Muso reckons that each file probably will have been downloaded 1,000 times. It estimates that this puts the Beatles' traffic at 190 million downloads a year. µ
Old 11-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
[This news surprised me about FM]

The Beatles are the most popular 'pirated' pop stars

Fleetwood Mac is second By Dave Neal Fri Nov 08 2013, 15:42 The Inquirer
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...ated-pop-stars

MOP TOP COMBO The Beatles are the most commonly found music group on filesharing 'pirate' websites, according to Muso, an organisation that keeps an eye on that sort of thing.

Muso reported that it has had a good look at online cyberlockers and filesharing web portals and found a great many examples of the Fab Four.

The report from the "complete anti-piracy solutions provider" was covered by Music Week. It said that a study of filelocker and Bittorrent websites found a large number of files related to The Beatles.

187,687 online Beatles files were found in the study. Second in the ranking was Fleetwood Mac, with 72,984 uploaded files, while Bob Marley was represented by 60,024 files, and Led Zeppelin by 59,011 files.

The list was culled from websites that respect takedown notices, so not all will be included.

The Beatles were late to the download party and only, we say only, appeared on iTunes in 2010. It seems like just yesterday.

All parties were glad when the Fab Four fell into the Apple fold, and Steve Jobs, who might have named Apple after the Beatles' Apple record label, was glowing at the time.

"We love the Beatles and are honored and thrilled to welcome them to iTunes," said Jobs, who was then Apple's CEO. "It has been a long and winding road to get here. Thanks to the Beatles and EMI, we are now realizing a dream we've had since we launched iTunes ten years ago," Jobs added.

"I am particularly glad to no longer be asked when the Beatles are coming to iTunes," added drummer Ringo Starr at the time. "At last, if you want it - you can get it now - The Beatles from Liverpool to now! Peace and Love, Ringo."

Muso reckons that each file probably will have been downloaded 1,000 times. It estimates that this puts the Beatles' traffic at 190 million downloads a year. µ
Fleetwood Mac, with 72,984 uploaded files... Now Stevie knows what became of her lost, stolen and misplaced demos
It is surprising that FM & Bob Marley were so high on the list...
Old 11-08-2013, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
Fleetwood Mac, with 72,984 uploaded files... Now Stevie knows what became of her lost, stolen and misplaced demos
It is surprising that FM & Bob Marley were so high on the list...
I know you are joking, but I bet the demos/outttakes/live song versions are exactly what propelled Fleetwood Mac to #2 on this list. I'm not surprised at all FM landed so high. Like the Beatles, Fleetwood Mac (especially the Stevie Nicks faithful) have such a rabid cult following who are fascinated by the legend of the band. They eat up any & every little morsel which helps them piece together more of the puzzle. And honestly, the demos/outtakes/rare live songs floating around only add to the allure & popularity of the band. Hence why they still rake in such big cash on their tours, completely trouncing newer bands.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
And honestly, the demos/outtakes/rare live songs floating around only add to the allure & popularity of the band. Hence why they still rake in such big cash on their tours, completely trouncing newer bands.
I love the sound of this.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't let Stevie hear this, or we'll never hear the end of it.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow.Now I can understand why she's pissed.

I guess the Stones and Elvis is not on the top of the list.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 11-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post

I guess the Stones and Elvis is not on the top of the list.

As far as physical product goes Elvis is at
or near the top of being bootlegged.

Just over ten years ago RCA/BMG/SONY and
Elvis' estate came up with an ingenious plan
to release his original performances along
with unreleased outtakes from his studio
sessions and live appearances.

The FTD Label (Follow That Dream) should be
an example for all classic artists and their record
companies to follow.

To date there have been over 100 separate releases.
Usually comprising of 2 CD sets. With the first CD
containing the original studio master takes (most
remastered using the original master tapes) and the
second CD full of unreleased outtakes. And numerous
concerts from multi-track tapes, soundboard tapes
and even audience recordings.

FTD has learned from the bootleggers (imports as
they are called today). When an Elvis release hits
the market from one of the import labels, FTD has
countered quickly with a release of the same material.
Often in better quality audio and packaging.

It's a win-win situation for the artist and fans. And
I can't understand why legacy artist such as Fleetwood
Mac doesn't follow suit. Everyone wins - except the
bootleggers.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Really surprised the Grateful Dead weren't in the top 2.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I suppose this is both good and bad. Good that FM are so popular and bad that FM don't understand how popular they are and how much fans crave their material.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Really surprised the Grateful Dead weren't in the top 2.
A lot of illegal downloads are coming from outside USA I guess. GD are not as huge outside America than inside.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Dead did allow fans record their shows and swap them.As long the fans dont sell and profit from them.

I have a friend taped and traded the Dead shows.

Thanks iamnotafraid for the info.

I did not know that with Elvis tunes.

The local fleamarket here in Wallyworld is always loaded with those fake DVD's and CD's and they busted all the time there for selling this junk there.

A different set of sellers come back the following week with a new batch of fakes.

As I remember they always have the currents and not so much older artists there.

My friend got ripped off when he picked up a CD for his daughter and found out it was a dud that would not play in his CD player.

I found a boot B/N CD at a local used CD shop in town. It played great.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016

Last edited by Macfanforever; 11-10-2013 at 05:55 PM..
Old 11-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It would be important if the study broke down what was downloaded into categories. I mean, if we could prove that it was demos and boots that were the most downloaded, that would actually disprove Stevie's point.

We could show her that people don't bother stealing what is commercially available any more (like they used to in the Napster days, before ITunes made legal downloading simple). We could get Stevie in court and say to her that now people just download what they can't buy. If that case could be made, then that means they should put out more music and the excuse that "there's no need to record since they steal it anyway" would fly out the window.

Michele
Old 11-11-2013, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
It would be important if the study broke down what was downloaded into categories. I mean, if we could prove that it was demos and boots that were the most downloaded, that would actually disprove Stevie's point.

We could show her that people don't bother stealing what is commercially available any more (like they used to in the Napster days, before ITunes made legal downloading simple). We could get Stevie in court and say to her that now people just download what they can't buy. If that case could be made, then that means they should put out more music and the excuse that "there's no need to record since they steal it anyway" would fly out the window.

Michele
Which is what I assume is why the surviving Beatles release EVERYTHING these days. A live album from every tour, "deluxe versions" of albums including as bonus tracks probably most of the unreleased songs that were recorded during their sessions, DVDs of every tour, etc. Just to attempt to be one step ahead of bootleggers.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool They tried...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Which is what I assume is why the surviving Beatles release EVERYTHING these days. Just to attempt to be one step ahead of bootleggers.
and I believe in my opinion they failed...I read somewhere back in early 2009 the newest Beatles remasters were a direct result of fan created bootlegs, such as the ones by "Dr.Ebbett's Sound System" which smoke the living ____ out of the officially released version in terms of sonics...I swear to God, why are albums these days so poor sonically (I just ran some Dynamic Range test on a bunch of new releases, and the highest number was a 10...Which is barely in the transition range)

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

As for FM #2, I personally doubt that to be honest...Believe me, from my experience with bootlegs/pirated music, FM is not even in the ballpark...There are MANY other websites that have music for download outside the UK/US that would make one wonder "just how the hell did someone in Russia get that before I did here in the US?"

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."