User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:06 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
You know, I remember reading, shortly after she and John married, that Peter Green made some comment about them at a show, and she came up on stage and basically made a few Jewish jokes at his expense.
well, if we're going to go in that direction... what kind of person shows up at a Halloween party dressed in blackface in the late 1970's? That has always bothered me. Forget about political correctness (ex- I'm willing to recognize Al Jolson as a spectacular entertainer) what inspired her to make that specific choice?
Old 06-30-2009, 11:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
well, if we're going to go in that direction... what kind of person shows up at a Halloween party dressed in blackface in the late 1970's? That has always bothered me. Forget about political correctness (ex- I'm willing to recognize Al Jolson as a spectacular entertainer) what inspired her to make that specific choice?
OK, well I haven't read any of this thread, but I just wanted to say, don't get me started on Al Jolson. My Grandma was one of the founding members of the Al Jolson Society, so I know alllll about Jolson. (I even belong to the society. :/) She has about 3 rooms in her house dedicated to him. And most of the walls are covered with memorabilia, along with TONS of live shows and stuff. Most of which is on records. Sorry if I just wasted one minute of your life ranting about Al Jolson.

Would it last forever? You and I together, hand in hand
we run away♥
Old 07-01-2009, 01:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I don't like that she made comments about Jews or wore black face, that's pretty out there. I can picture the bluesy group meeting the mod-hippy boogie group in all the feathers, ruffles and stuff though... a bit like that scene in Black Adder where Edmund is trying to be the Earl of Doncaster, an absurd picture, but then I laughed at all the morris dancers jokes too so I'm kind of weird. I definitely tend to prefer self-depricating humour to the put-down sort the Brits often wallow in.

Al Jolson should've lived longer just so he could have covered Which Way You Goin' Billy by The Poppy Family. "Billy, don't ya know me Billy? Which Way Ya Goin'? Oh Billy boy, Can I come too?" I saw a movie of his where he dances with giant watermelon slices and it was just so dumb it was kind of enthralling in an Eraserhead sort of way.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:56 AM

Quote:
wasn't she Aunt Jermima ?... i can't remember the pic exactly...
Old 07-01-2009, 07:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Based on everything we've read and known about Christine, I think its pretty safe to say that she's every bit the alcoholic that John is (although its effects manifested differently and more problematically with John). I have had concern for her in this regard, since she's an admitted recluse as it is.

I'm not saying any of this in a judgmental way- there's nothing wrong with the life she has chosen for herself. Its just an observation.
she apparently doesn't drink any more which is a good thing. the recluse thing has been overplayed I think. Just because we don't see or read about her in newspapers doesn't mean to say she's a recluse. she's retired.

Gail
Old 07-01-2009, 07:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There is a certain level of outrageous behavior that is taken for granted among show business people that doesn't exist in normal social circles. There's usually a flamboyant side to someone who makes it in show biz, and they enjoy being able to show it. I also think this type of outrageousness serves as a sort of mutual self-defense technique among show business people. The very fact of being an entertainer means you're out there being scrutinized by the public, all the time. Thirty years later something you wore once is getting criticized by fans, for instance. (Cf. this thread.)

My point in saying this is that you really can't draw any conclusions about a show business person's real attitudes about Jews/blacks/gays/any minority because of a party costume or joke they told. If you see a pattern of behavior over time, then you can start drawing conclusions.

By the way, I think that performance of "Over and Over" is fabulous. I love Fleetwood Mac when they're a little rough around the edges. I don't think Chris sounds drunk in the sound clip. I think at the beginning she sounds hesitant, like she's having trouble getting the tempo of the song right, but she recovers halfway through the song. I think Mick/John save the day on this clip ... steady as a rock rhythm section.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
wasn't she Aunt Jermima ?... i can't remember the pic exactly...
Here's a picture from that Halloween party. John is dressed up as a Nazi. Pretty embarrassing...lol.

I don't like her gay, Jewish(I think she referred to Peter Green as a cocky Jew boy at one time) jokes & blackface at that party. But times were a bit different in those days. She'd never get away with that these days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 018 nd69f_3.jpg (65.8 KB, 79 views)
Old 07-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
You know, I remember reading, shortly after she and John married, that Peter Green made some comment about them at a show, and she came up on stage and basically made a few Jewish jokes at his expense.
I don't remember that but I do remember reading parts of a biography of Peter Green where FM was onstage and Peter was introducing the band. This was before John & Christine married (I think). He mentioned that John was shy and took 6 months to pluck up enough courage to hold Christine's hand never mind "f**k the arse off her". John apparently got very cross and called him a "f**kin Jew".

You have to remember that this was a long time ago and language like that was common place. I'm not condoning it just pointing out that people in those days didn't even consider whether that might be disrepectful or hurtful in any way.

I heard Paul McCartney talking quite recently about Brian Epstein and he admitted that at the time they didn't say he was gay just "a poof"

Gail

Last edited by Gailh; 07-01-2009 at 07:21 AM..
Old 07-01-2009, 08:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
what inspired her to make that specific choice?
it was hysterical

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 07-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
she apparently doesn't drink any more which is a good thing. the recluse thing has been overplayed I think. Just because we don't see or read about her in newspapers doesn't mean to say she's a recluse. she's retired.

Gail

I remember reading she was quitting smoking, not drinking but I could be wrong.

I also think it was easy for her to escape the spot light because other than The Dance she's been out of the spotlight since 1991 or so, with the exception of ITM, which was not a major success. Plus., she lives in a small town.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
I remember reading she was quitting smoking, not drinking but I could be wrong.

I also think it was easy for her to escape the spot light because other than The Dance she's been out of the spotlight since 1991 or so, with the exception of ITM, which was not a major success. Plus., she lives in a small town.
Martin Wyatt has said she doesn't drink any more but I believe she started smoking again after her second marriage broke up.

Gail
Old 07-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
Martin Wyatt has said she doesn't drink any more but I believe she started smoking again after her second marriage broke up.

Gail
Ah ha!

Old 07-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ah ha!

Ah ha what?

Gail
Old 07-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Al Jolson! He has been dead 50 years at least. He was in the first talking picture though. Actually it was silent except for one scene. Sorry. I recently read the Warner Brothers biography and tells about it.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
it was hysterical
i thought so... isn't halloween the one time you're allowed to do stereotypes or characters in good fun???

what's wrong with being black?

i need to take you guys to the west hollywood parade on halloweeen...

As far Christine or John's costume goes on the "off the meter scale"... not even close to groundbreaking....

Laughter is the best medicine...