User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
how awesome is this?????? thanks so much for digging it back out and sharing. i still regret not even knowing who he was then, and missing this tour. and The Chain?? how FANTASTIC is his solo version of The Chain?

and now i really want You Do Or You Don't on the Anthology tour. it's on the collection so there's some hope!
This is The Time is fantastic live... needs beefier drums (Lindsey and drums!!) but it cranks live.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Fans would be more generous if the band’s first foot forward wasn’t anemic covers of classic material. If they’d done something unusual or adventurous—or played a new song—I’d have respected their effort, even if I didn’t like the result (and I might have liked it). But instead, they’ve done what they’ve often done, which is the least amount of work possible. If they’re going to be called a new band, act like one. Citing the conservative approach of previous new lineups as they started isn’t going to cut it this time. The band made a bold move by firing Lyndsey/hiring Mike and Neil: their approach to music making should reflect this. They lost a real opportunity on Ellen. But their decision was sadly predictable.
Wow I'm used to all the Lindsays but this is the very first time I have seen Lyndsey

Old 09-13-2018, 12:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Wow I'm used to all the Lindsays but this is the very first time I have seen Lyndsey
He was fantastic in The Bionic Woman.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
He was fantastic in The Bionic Woman.
Yep along with Stevie Austin.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And his bionic tambourine. He could jingle that thing like a mother ******!
Old 09-13-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
We can rebuild him. We have the technology.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wow—that’s what was extrapolated from my post—the where’s Waldo misspelling. Fun!
Old 09-13-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Wow—that’s what was extrapolated from my post—the where’s Waldo misspelling. Fun!
You poets think you can make your own language!!

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 09-13-2018 at 09:37 AM..
Old 09-13-2018, 09:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
You poets think you can make your own language!!
You wouldn’t say that to Bob Dylan!
Old 09-13-2018, 10:05 AM
Senior Ledgie

Steve, I agree with many of your points. The old band has had many dud TV performances, as have Stevie solo and BM. And it’s very possible (and likely) that this band will be much stronger/better live.

That doesn’t mean they didn’t suck and that they missed an opportunity to really come out swinging.

However, I think The Chain is sacred. Clearly more than the band does. I didn’t know Lindsey sang it on solo tours but I think that’s a shame. I didn’t like it when the post-Tango band sang it either.

The song is the heart and anchor of Rumours and the closest FM has to a full band song. No one standing out. And it’s highly personal.

I don’t like when it’s covered by anyone, from Melissa Etheridge in Queen Latifah show to Harry Styles.

Same with this new FM. The song means nothing to Finn/Campbell. And it showed with the awkwardness/no chemistry.

Moreover, I absolutely think it showed zero respect for the many diehard fans who have stood by this band and who are highly disappointed (understatement) by what has happened. To introduce themselves, they chose the one song that defines Rumours 5 the most. It was a crass, thoughtless move.

If they wanted to open with a song that shows the new band as a whole and that everyone knows, they should’ve chosen Don’t Stop.

Last edited by Buster; 09-13-2018 at 11:52 AM..
Old 09-13-2018, 10:40 AM

I agree, Buster. I think it was thoughtless. They just didn't think about it. They went through the motions.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Steve, I agree with many of your points. The old band has had many dud TV performances, as have Stevie solo and BM. And it’s very possible (and likely) that this band will be much stronger/better live.

That doesn’t mean they didn’t suck and that they missed an opportunity to really come out swinging.

However, I think The Chain is sacred. Clearly more than the band does. I didn’t know Lindsey sang it on solo tours but I think that’s a shame. I didn’t like it when the post-Tango band sang it either.

The song is the heart and anchor of Rumours and the closest FM has to a full band song. No one standing out. And it’s highly personal.

I don’t like when it’s covered by anyone, from Melissa Etheridge in Queen Latifah show to Harry Styles. I think it is disrespectful.

Same with this new FM. The song means nothing to Finn/Campbell. And it showed with the awkwardness/no chemistry.

Moreover, I absolutely think it showed zero respect for the many diehard fans who have stood by this band and who are highly disappointed (understatement) by what has happened. To introduce themselves, they chose the one song that defines Rumours 5 the most. It was a crass, thoughtless move.

If they wanted to open with a song that shows the new band as a whole and that everyone knows, the should’ve chosen Don’t Stop.

I think people seem to be under the impression these people have some sort of degree of sentimentality. Perhaps they once did... a long time ago.
Somebody questioned in a thread (bwboy???) whether critics of the current incarnation actually like the band. That has to be a good question. I'd say its possible to be a fan of the music but its increasingly becoming difficult to be a fan of the people. I once idolized all of them. Over the years I've come to realize they are all deeply flawed in character.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 09-13-2018, 11:08 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
That said, not a word about the abbreviated version of “Gypsy” in 2014, but it’s somehow a big deal in 2018? It wasn’t as obvious now as it was then that it was shortened for TV?
I'm not sure what the big deal is? People like the solo and missed it during this performance. No one HAD to acknowledge that it was missing during the 2014 Today Show performance because Lindsey was still in the band and it wasn't a risk that the solo might not be a part of future gigs. Will it be played in future gigs with Neil and Mike? Yeah, probably. But then again, lots of folks acknowledged that in the "Fleetwood Mac on Ellen" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanketMan View Post
Yeah, I didn't hear Lindsey's "Lightning strikes, maybe once, maybe twice," but maybe this was a condensed version to fit into the TV time, and Neil will sing it on their tour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Why TF is Mike playing keyboards on Gypsy? They definitely need more keyboard players on stage...

I HATE $tevie'$ singing on the bridge of Gypsy.

I'd guess they dropped the guitar solo at the end, because Lindsey OWNS that f*cking solo. Anyone else playing it is a charlatan and a thief(yes, I realize it was probably dropped for TV time).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Blade View Post
I expect that might have to do with television show time constraints on how long the performances could be. We'll see what happens at the iheartradio gig coming up and at the tour shows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
I watched it. Gypsy actually sounded a lot like it always does, minus Lindsey’s guitar solo and harmonies I thought it was fine. Maybe it was because of TV they cut it but I am thinking it might be permanent. It identifies to closely to him in my opinion. I agree with another poster that Gypsy sounds better on her solo tours
Old 09-13-2018, 11:23 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeets2000 View Post
I'm not sure what the big deal is? People like the solo and missed it during this performance. No one HAD to acknowledge that it was missing during the 2014 Today Show performance because Lindsey was still in the band and it wasn't a risk that the solo might not be a part of future gigs. Will it be played in future gigs with Neil and Mike? Yeah, probably. But then again, lots of folks acknowledged that in the "Fleetwood Mac on Ellen" thread.
So what you're saying is: People here did acknowledge it was probably due to TV.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post

I don’t like when it’s covered by anyone, from Melissa Etheridge in Queen Latifah show to Harry Styles.

If they wanted to open with a song that shows the new band as a whole and that everyone knows, they should’ve chosen Don’t Stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I think people seem to be under the impression these people have some sort of degree of sentimentality. Perhaps they once did... a long time ago.
Somebody questioned in a thread (bwboy???) whether critics of the current incarnation actually like the band. That has to be a good question. I'd say its possible to be a fan of the music but its increasingly becoming difficult to be a fan of the people. I once idolized all of them. Over the years I've come to realize they are all deeply flawed in character.

Well said, both of you.

I would possibly disagree however, that the choice of The Chain was thoughtless.

I think it was done with full awareness.

I think it was meant as a F. U. to a certain someone. Whether from the band to him or just from Stevie (and Mick?) I dunno. And before the troll sh*tshow starts, no, I can't PROVE it. I just feel it, and given the above mentioned deeply flawed characters involved, it seems very plausible to me. If you don't agree, well, it's a free country.