The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like music from the fifties and sixties and I found Oh Diane a nice throwback to those eras. It's not a favorite of mine, but I don't mind it at all.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 07-06-2014 at 03:25 PM..
Old 07-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I actually haven't noticed this sentiment at all. The only negative attitudes I see towards Tango are those coming from fans who clearly have difficulty accepting the fact that Stevie is (by far) the clear weakest link on that album.
I've come across a fair few comments from people who think that Tango in the Night is a rubbish pop album that brings shame to the original Fleetwood Mac. I've replied to a few of them, explaining that it's simply an album of its time. I don't get why people give FM a hard time over TITN, a lot of other 1960s and 1970s bands and singers released albums with a more poppy sound in the 1980s, it was the fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
For me, I think that 'Gypsy' should've been a massive hit but it wasn't, only in the US sadly. We Brits have never actually gone wild for any singles written and sung by Stevie. Surprisingly her highest charting lead vocal single here was her own and not with FM with 'Rooms on Fire' which peaked at #16 thanks to the overwhelming reception to 'Tango in the Night' which top 10 singles were either Lindsey's or Christine's.
This has always confused me. I know the Rumours incarnation of the band haven’t accumulated a lot of top 10 singles in the UK overall, but Stevie hasn’t had a single top 10 hit in the UK, whereas Christine has had two (though she did have to wait till TITN to achieve them) and Lindsey has had three. Dreams was the highest charting single in the UK from Rumours, but I wonder why Sara, Gypsy and Seven Wonders didn't chart higher. It just shows you that chart positions aren’t the be-all and end-all.

Last edited by He's So Unusual; 07-06-2014 at 03:34 PM..
Old 07-06-2014, 04:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by He's So Unusual View Post
It just shows you that chart positions aren’t the be-all and end-all.
Precisely. My favourite songs (to name only a few good examples) are 'Gypsy' (US#12/UK#46), 'Sisters of The Moon' (US#86), 'Seven Wonders' (US#19/UK#56), and 'Rhiannon' (US#11/UK#46).

These are my favourite singles which aren't considered the more successful hits. I've always wondered why 'Rhiannon' was always considered such a 'hit' when it only reached #11 in the US? This is why it's in my list. It was their second top 20 after 'Over My Head' and 'Say You Love Me' also reached #11 only a couple of months later, so what's all the fuss about?
Old 07-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
Precisely. My favourite songs (to name only a few good examples) are 'Gypsy' (US#12/UK#46), 'Sisters of The Moon' (US#86), 'Seven Wonders' (US#19/UK#56), and 'Rhiannon' (US#11/UK#46).

These are my favourite singles which aren't considered the more successful hits. I've always wondered why 'Rhiannon' was always considered such a 'hit' when it only reached #11 in the US? This is why it's in my list. It was their second top 20 after 'Over My Head' and 'Say You Love Me' also reached #11 only a couple of months later, so what's all the fuss about?
I think a lot of the fuss is because Fleetwood Mac had never had a top 20 hit in the US prior to FM '75, suddenly they had three of them from one album. Plus a #11 peak on the chart was pretty decent back then, quite a few other classic rock tracks also never made the top 10 (Life in the Fast Lane, Barracuda). I think a lot of classic songs have become so ingrained in the public's consciousness over the years that I don't think people really care that some of them didn't peak as high they might assume they did, it's not important. Rhiannon has been a staple on radio for decades whereas some songs that charted higher around the same time probably aren't as remembered or as widely played nowadays. It's cool that Stevie has some of the most loved Fleetwood Mac songs despite hardly any of them charting very high outside of the US.

Last edited by He's So Unusual; 07-06-2014 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: Added something.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Family Man

I always thought "Family Man" has the potential to be fantastic as a live acoustic solo piece. I personally would keep the Spanish sounding guitar parts and massively re-work the rest to bring it into the 21st Century. I thought that would make a good replacement for NGBA (LB solo or FM tours), although that will never happen. Die hard fans always hope for deep cuts or re-worked songs in concert (e.g., "Say You Love Me" from The Dance), but the band seems content to just cash it in and give the casual fans what they expect. They might as well just play the entire Rumours album in concert and fill in the rest of the concert with the White album hits.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I like music from the fifties and sixties and I found Oh Diane a nice throwback to those eras. It's not a favorite of mine, but I don't mind it at all.

Michele
Same here. I'm at peace with Oh Diane, a little blip of a song. It has a simple Buddy Holly quality to it. And Family Man is one of those songs that can be forgiven as a product of its time. It's enjoyable and interesting to listen to to, but I don't expect too much from it.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-06-2014 at 11:20 PM..
Old 07-07-2014, 12:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"Oh Diane" always reminded me of a Chris Isaak song, its appeal is very retro and I'm cool with it. Not a stunning piece of song craft, obviously, but I think it's cute enough.

"Family Man" I'm very meh about though, although I do really like the guitar part. It's just that that's kind of it (oh and yes the rhythm). I'm also just not a huge 80s person outside of things like punk/new wave.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=chiliD;1133761]Yeah, and so was "Oh Diane"...another Buckingham stinker of a "song".

"Family Man", I like (yeah, the lyrics suck, but when I like the instrument tracks, the lyrics are disposable)

"Oh Diane" ?? ****-can worthy. [/QUOTE

Here's the link to a very rare LIP SYNC Fleetwood Mac performance of "Oh Diane". I always thought it odd, because The Mac were just NEVER a lip synching band. I guess they just showed up at the Top of the Pops studios and said, "Hey, we're lip syncing our hit "Oh Diane" today. It's also amusing to watch Stevie attempt to lip sync harmony vocals to a song that doesn't even sound like she sang on it. Alas, Stevie does a wonderful job and looks stunning as ever, shaking her tambourine and stalking the stage. You go, girl! By the way, who is "Diane"?

Fleetwood Mac with the British hit, "Oh Diane".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txA4jXCXun0
Old 07-07-2014, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Top of The Pops is a lip sync show. Everyone who appears on it lip syncs (including Stevie in 1989), it's just what they're set up for. You lip sync or you don't go in the show, and at that time the exposure was too immense to pass up.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird View Post
"Oh Diane" always reminded me of a Chris Isaak song, its appeal is very retro and I'm cool with it. Not a stunning piece of song craft, obviously, but I think it's cute enough.
I always thought Oh Diane was more of a nod to Neil Sedaka. I'd never thought of Chris Isaak. He was quite cool at one stage in the late 80's. Perhaps Oh Diane was ahead of its time. Perhaps its a really cool song after all.

I'd always assumed it was a 'live' Top of the Pops studio performance (I never payed much attention to it). When you look closely you see they are actually playing on a big screen in the studio (ie, they weren't actually in the studio).
I think it was either a specially recorded promo performance (to sell it in Europe) or a 'live' feed from the states.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Top of The Pops is a lip sync show. Everyone who appears on it lip syncs (including Stevie in 1989), it's just what they're set up for. You lip sync or you don't go in the show, and at that time the exposure was too immense to pass up.
I am familiar with Top of the Pops requiring all acts to lip sync, just as its American counterpart "Solid Gold" required lip sync performances. It was just odd to see Fleetwood Mac agree to this. You're right, the exposure from the show may have been partially responsible for "Oh Diane" becoming somewhat of a hit single in the UK.

I have heard Stevie says that she HATES to lip sync. As a matter of fact, she was perhaps THE ONLY act in the history of the U.S. television show "Solid Gold" to refuse to lip sync. Her two performances from that show feature her LIVE vocals with the band performing to a track.

Thus, her Top of the Pops performance of "Rooms on Fire" is very interesting.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey Buckingham is hands down the worst lip-syncher I have ever seen. Pretty funny in a music industry that demands its "artists" be much better at lip-synching than they are at actually singing, since they do it so often.

Last edited by bethelblues; 07-07-2014 at 06:11 PM..
Old 07-07-2014, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I always thought Oh Diane was more of a nod to Neil Sedaka.
Yes, like Oh Carol.

Michele
Old 07-07-2014, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
I have heard Stevie says that she HATES to lip sync. As a matter of fact, she was perhaps THE ONLY act in the history of the U.S. television show "Solid Gold" to refuse to lip sync. Her two performances from that show feature her LIVE vocals with the band performing to a track.
She wasn't. Deborah Harry sang live on that show twice. I can't recall any other examples though. Makes you wonder how they determine who does and who doesn't.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by He's So Unusual View Post
I've noticed that Tango in the Night seems to quite a bit of hate from some people, mainly those who see it as nothing more than a rubbish, throwaway 1980s pop album.
I'm not a huge TINT fan. It's my least favourite of the Rumours line up and I prefer BTM overall, but not because it's a "throwaway 1980's pop album".

My problem with Tango is that it has some amazing songs in it, but all the band members sound so distant from eachother. It sounds like solo songs shoved together and branded "Fleetwood Mac", which is afterall how the album started out.

There are some brilliant songs - "Big Love" and "Seven Wonders" are brilliant and "Isn't It Midnight" is Christine's finest moment. But overall, it doesn't work and it has more stinkers on it than any other album of that era (You & I, When I See You Again, Mystified).

"Family Man" is ok. I agree with the comments about the cheesey cartoon vocal and the crappy lyrics, but musically, it's great.

"Oh Diane" is an appalling abortion of a song, both musically and lyrically. That songs takes the title, for me, of worst Fleetwood Mac song ever.

I'm in agreement with the bafflement that both were hits in the UK (although Family Man only made it to #54).