Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Lindsey & John

How do you reckon they get on...In the past and more recently. I gather that they are not exactly the best of friends. In interviews Lindsey if complementing him seems to put a subtle dig at the same time. Such that he was described as Mick's "Halo point" and in Behind the Music where he points out Christine was writing songs about him but he couldn't write anything back.

What do you folks think ?
Old 02-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually, the comment about John not being able to write anything back to Christine sounded like male support to me, not a dig. I think he was saying that John's side of the story didn't get heard because he wasn't a songwriter. He wasn't impugning John for not being a song writer. To me, he was saying that John didn't get fair representation in discussing the divorce.

I would say more recently Lindsey has had more laudatory things to say about John and they weren't tempered with any type of criticism whatsoever. But I don't think they see each other outside of Fleetwood Mac. I know after SYW Lindsey said that he heard from Christine once a year and that he and John had ever been that close. It gave me the impression that as little as he communicated with Chris, it was more than with John.

I did love Christine's Dance comment when they were working, about seeing John and Lindsey walk away from her with their arms around each other. She never thought she'd witness that. Then, she told the interviewer not to get any ideas about John and Lindsey being lovers.

She commented that the bandmates weren't blood brothers, but then she said actually they were closer than real brothers and sisters, in a way.

Now, in Cory's diary, she wrote something about Lindsey keeping the band waiting, so after that John kept Lindsey waiting, to make a point. So, I think they do passive aggressive stuff to each other.

Michele
Old 02-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Actually, the comment about John not being able to write anything back to Christine sounded like male support to me, not a dig. I think he was saying that John's side of the story didn't get heard because he wasn't a songwriter. He wasn't impugning John for not being a song writer. To me, he was saying that John didn't get fair representation in discussing the divorce.

I would say more recently Lindsey has had more laudatory things to say about John and they weren't tempered with any type of criticism whatsoever. But I don't think they see each other outside of Fleetwood Mac. I know after SYW Lindsey said that he heard from Christine once a year and that he and John had ever been that close. It gave me the impression that as little as he communicated with Chris, it was more than with John.

I did love Christine's Dance comment when they were working, about seeing John and Lindsey walk away from her with their arms around each other. She never thought she'd witness that. Then, she told the interviewer not to get any ideas about John and Lindsey being lovers.

She commented that the bandmates weren't blood brothers, but then she said actually they were closer than real brothers and sisters, in a way.

Now, in Cory's diary, she wrote something about Lindsey keeping the band waiting, so after that John kept Lindsey waiting, to make a point. So, I think they do passive aggressive stuff to each other.

Michele
What is that from??? I'd LOVE to see it. Is it on video somewhere???
Old 02-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey and John

I think a lot of the friction, as Lindsey has previously commented, that Lindsey would typically play most, if not all of the instruments on his songs. Lindsey played bass in Fritz (someone else owned the "fuzz"). I think it reached a boiling point during the making of Tusk when Lindsey came into the studio with bass and drum tracks already completed and John especially took offense and reportedly commented he did not want people to think he played so badly.

John and Lindsey's relationship appears to be all business oriented. They never seemed to talk about social activities. During the Say You Will tour, Lindsey stayed in the hotel and wrote songs for Under the Skin and Gift of Screws. Lindsey is an anal studio rat whereas John appears to be laid back and would rather be sailing. They tour together for the cash.

That's my opinion/two cents worth.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
What is that from??? I'd LOVE to see it. Is it on video somewhere???
I don't think it's on video. But here's the written interview.

http://fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/archive/orlando.htm
Old 02-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I don't think it's on video. But here's the written interview.

http://fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/archive/orlando.htm
THANKS! It's nice to hear from Christine
Old 02-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey has said that he used to think John's bass line was too busy, but, once he learned to just accept it, that he also came to appreciate John's playing/skill. Didn't Ken Callait say in his interview that the two were like "oil and water"? On the other hand, I love the part on the Destiny Rules DVD where John says ( of Mick and Lindsey ) that "they're nice guys". They seemed to get along fine at that time, and still today. Just not much in common - except for love of music. So I think they like each other, but, just have nothing much to talk about, and no particular reason to hang out together.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, on the Unleashed Tour Lindsey would go over to John on Rhiannon and sort of jam for a bit before the chorus kicked back in.

Also, another thing that comes to my mind, on the SYW documentary, Lindsey gets emotional talking about the band getting back together and i remember a quote "and seeing John".
Old 02-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love it in the Tusk doc, where John takes a drink of Lindsey's beer. There couldn't be hate there, could there? Would you drink after someone you didn't like?
Old 02-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwoodmark View Post
How do you reckon they get on...In the past and more recently. I gather that they are not exactly the best of friends. In interviews Lindsey if complementing him seems to put a subtle dig at the same time. Such that he was described as Mick's "Halo point" and in Behind the Music where he points out Christine was writing songs about him but he couldn't write anything back.

What do you folks think ?
See, I didn't really detect that malice in what LB said in his "Behind the Music." I think he was just being straight-up. He was probably saying something John would have said to the band himself, "I couldn't write any songs back..." Now if it was meant as a dig, that is not nice. But I personally didn't feel it was a dig. John and LB appear to have a healthy working camaraderie. I don't think they're best friends, but then again I don't think LB is best friends with the other members either. In fact, the only person I could ever see LB ever being "besties" with (and that's a stretch) is someone like Brett Tuggle. Just because they appear to get along fabulously well and even have that teasing type of thing going- where you know they're comfortable with each other enough to say certain things out loud and in front of each other.

But I digress... imo John and Lindsey do get along, play music together brilliantly, and when the day is done go on to their separate lives. I think there is a definite mutual respect and they are probably comfortable enough to give each other an opposing opinion or two. Just not too many more than that.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL

Last edited by Nico; 02-13-2010 at 05:14 PM..
Old 02-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Senior Ledgie

I've always wondered more about Mick and Lindsey's relationship, moreso than John and Lindsey. Do you think that Lindsey feels that he partially owes his success to Mick? I've always wondered why they've stayed in touch, even though Mick seems fame/money hungry, and Lindsey seems "dedicated to artistic integrity"

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Old 02-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Senior Ledgie

Fair does,

I feel John being typically Britishly understated I think he feels Lindsey is a tad over the top a lot of the time....maybe they have learned over the years to respect each other !
Old 02-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Fair does,

I feel John being typically Britishly understated I think he feels Lindsey is a tad over the top a lot of the time....maybe they have learned over the years to respect each other !
This would make a LOT of sense. People in America seem so much more friendly than people in the UK. I've heard that in stores over there people talk to eachother and make contact like people actually should (Yes, shock horror, British Public) Over here, we talk very little to eachother and I know for a fact in shops the money is echanged and people do leave without having said hello, thankyou or goodbye. For John being british, I imagine meeting Lindsey before he knew him properly would be really... overwhelming? If that's the right way to put it?

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 02-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
This would make a LOT of sense. People in America seem so much more friendly than people in the UK. I've heard that in stores over there people talk to eachother and make contact like people actually should (Yes, shock horror, British Public) Over here, we talk very little to eachother and I know for a fact in shops the money is echanged and people do leave without having said hello, thankyou or goodbye. For John being british, I imagine meeting Lindsey before he knew him properly would be really... overwhelming? If that's the right way to put it?
Haha, I meant British in the sense that John wouldn't go about blowing his own trumpet like Lindsey & Stevie are quite good at

Where on earth do you stay by the way ?
Old 02-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Haha, I meant British in the sense that John wouldn't go about blowing his own trumpet like Lindsey & Stevie are quite good at

Where on earth do you stay by the way ?
I've not been over (yet ) But my uncle frequently visits all over and always comes back saying how much more helpful and polite people are in general.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr