Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
You Make Loving Fun was the single that sent me to the store to buy Rumours in the Summer of 1978. But when I got home and played the album, hearing Gold Dust Woman and The Chain for the first time was the bomb. GDW
is still my favorite Stevie album track-EVER.

I always thought the release date was February 4, 1977??
I thought it was, too, oh well, never hurts to celebrate early!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveFM View Post
Me too

However, I love Rumours! So Happy Birthday Rumours!!!!!!!!!!! I plan on naming one of my children Rumour (I know, I'm strange), but anyway my favorite song(s) are Dreams, Go Your Own Way, Songbird, and GDW
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMlex View Post
Whaaaaaaaat. When I think of Rumour, I think of Bruce Willis' not-so-attractive daughter.

It's only me who'd like to wrap around your dreams...
But it's no Sara Lily Amber Rhiannon.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Ledgie

Silver Springs....it was meant to be there in the first place and did wind up on the re-issue.......so.........it's by far the best song on the lp!
Old 02-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Ledgie

Default Happy Birthday

Hi~Good luck on tat. Sounds like its going to be pretty! I was pretty young when Rumours came out but remember hearing it CONSTANTLY on the radio. It was amazing~Everywhere and all the time those awesome songs were played. I did'nt buy it until I was a teen and had some money,,then rebought it on a cd when those came out. As technology advances Im sure I'll be rebuying it again! Happy Birthday Rumours! ~Joan (newbie here)
Old 02-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Senior Ledgie

Happy Birthday Rumours! Such an amazing album that I listen to quite a bit, actually. It's hard to pick a favorite song as I love them all, but I'd have to say "Dreams."

I think I'll have to go listen to celebrate . . .

A
Old 02-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My favorite song is either "The Chain" or "Gold Dust Woman"-- obviously for very different reasons.

February 4th is a great day. Think about how different Fleetwood Mac would be today if that album never existed.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
My favorite song is either "The Chain" or "Gold Dust Woman"-- obviously for very different reasons.

February 4th is a great day. Think about how different Fleetwood Mac would be today if that album never existed.
We'd be Lost. In fact I'm recording the season opener of Lost on TV right now Dani.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RUMOURS!
Old 02-03-2010, 12:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

stevie nicks tattoo

this may not be the place but here is my tattoo! i am very pleased with it, especially considering all the details that are in it.

sorry if the release date is February 4th, but the nicksfix has it listed as the 2nd
Old 02-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilthefirefades View Post
stevie nicks tattoo

this may not be the place but here is my tattoo! i am very pleased with it, especially considering all the details that are in it.

sorry if the release date is February 4th, but the nicksfix has it listed as the 2nd
It looks good....yet painful!! I hope you had a great birthday as well!!! Was this a present to yourself?
Old 02-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, it's the 4th of February here in Australia at the moment, so I can confidently say:
Happy 33rd birthday Rumours!
As for a favourite song... how can you choose?!
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 02-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The purchase of this album can change your life!
Thank you Fleetwood Mac for Rumours!
Old 02-04-2010, 12:06 AM
Registered

I remember it well. I was a pre-teen (ok, dangit, I was very close to 13, but technically not a teenager 'til the summer!) Well, anyway, the handful or less of stores that sold albums in CT, could not keep 'Rumours' in stock. I'd get a ride every other day or so to record outlets, and back then the albums were stocked alphabetically by artist/group, and also with a wall of 'Top 50' albums- and 'Rumours' was in the #1 slot in the stores charts (not Billboard, but the stores had their own weekly charts), and the #1 slot would be empty...Under 'Fleetwood Mac' there would be no 'Rumours'...(I recall the dept. stores that sold albums were Caldor, Bradlees, and Sears nearby where my parents lived)-- and I'd ask the clerks, after school, to hear 'we got some in this morning but they were gone by noon'-- 'we might get another shipment on Thursday, and normally we only get shipments once a week'--- this was Connecticut, and it wasn't able to be kept in stock. I remember reading this was a problem throughout all of the United States, the albums couldn't be manufactured fast enough to meet sales demand!
I think I got the album in March, finally, older friends of my sister and cousins had the 8track in their cars, so I'd heard it, plus 'Silver Springs' and 'The Chain' were all over FM radio from the start, along with 'Dreams' and 'Go Your Own Way' and 'Gold Dust Woman' also got FM play right away).-- "Silver Springs' actually got heavy airplay in late '76 when it was on the flip of 'Go Your Own Way', released a few months before 'Rumours' came out--
It's a largely forgotten fact that Warner Brothers "literally" (an over-used word if ever one existed, but in this case, the right word) could not print the albums fast enough and before long the label decided to hire other manufacturing facilities, or record labels, to print up more copies because it was selling so fast. I'm sure someone will know the exact wording, because I'm not saying it exactly right, but it was like all of Warner Bros. plants were working round the clock to print the album sleeves, inserts and mass-produce the vinyl, and still couldn't keep up with the demand, so they went to another source for help, say RSO or RCA or some competitor that they paid to help fill the orders. This fact has been documented in books and articles should anyone want to try to look it up... But that tells all those too young to really know, how huge the album was, which they may know, but it might be unknown that from February into the spring of 1977, the album was really hard to come by!

Last edited by Nikolaj; 02-04-2010 at 12:11 AM..
Old 02-04-2010, 12:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
It looks good....yet painful!! I hope you had a great birthday as well!!! Was this a present to yourself?
it is my first tattoo and i must say that i am very surprised at how little it hurt. yes this was basically the only present i got, and paid for it myself
Old 02-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Classic Rumours
February 4, 2010
By cleanerlife

February 4th is the anniversary of the release of Rumours.

Not many bands can claim the kind of success Fleetwood Mac has known. The band began when guitarist Peter Green, drummer Mick Fleetwood and bassist John McVie, then members of John Mayall's famous Bluesbreakers, used some free recording time given to them by Mayall to record five songs together. Green named the fifth song, and instrumental, "Fleetwood Mac" after the rhythm section.

Like Eric Clapton, whose position he took over in the Bluesbreakers, Green decided to only stay with the band for one album. He convinced Fleetwood to join him on his new project, which he named Fleetwood Mac in hopes that McVie would also join them. He didn't, at first, but changed his mind just weeks after the band made it's debut in 1967 at the Windsor Jazz and Blues Festival.

Fleetwood Mac enjoyed quite a bit of success while Peter Green was the front man, but health and possibly drug related problems force him to leave the band in 1970. Shortly after that, Christine Perfect, now known as Christine McVie after marrying John, officially joined as a song writer and the group's keyboardist.

The band continued on, but it wasn't until Lindsey Buckingham of Buckingham Nicks joined with his then girlfriend and writing partner, Stevie Nicks (the other half of said group), that Fleetwood Mac would find their greatest success.

The new album, their second self-titled release, contained three hit singles ("Over My Head", "Rhiannon" and "Say You Love Me") and firmly placed them on the list as one of US radio's favorite Rock acts. It didn't do well in the UK, but charted at #1 in the US. The album also set them on track to record their best loved and best selling album ever, 1977's Rumours.

Rumours was born out of a lot of inner turmoil for the band as Christine and John divorced, Stevie and Lindsey were on the verge of a break up so they were often fighting and Mick's marriage fell apart when he learned that his wife had been having an affair with his best friend.

During the recording of the album, there were plenty of rumors and fake stories going around about the band, including one that said that previous members of the band would be rejoining them for the new album and Christine being in the hospital with a serious illness. In the end, John decided on the name Rumours because he felt that their songs were journals and diaries written about each other through music.

Whatever problems the band went through during the making of this album, it cannot be denied that it is one of the greatest Rock albums ever as it is currently the 14th best selling album in UK history and the 10th in US history.

Written by Stevie Nicks, "Dreams" became a #1 hit single in the US.

Written by Buckingham about Nicks, "Go Your Own way" became a top 10 hit in the US, is on Rolling Stone Magazine's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time and one of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll.

Although "The Chain" was not a hit, it became their signature song, and is the only song to be credited to all five members of the band.

"Don't Stop" reached #3 in the US. In 1992, then Presidential candidate, Bill Clinton used the song as his theme. After winning the US Presidency he convinced the golden era (1975 - 1987) members of Fleetwood Mac to reunite and perform at the inaugural ball in '93:

The Rumours album closed out with Stevie Nicks' "Gold Dust Woman". It was released as the B-side of "You Make Loving Fun" and has been rerecorded by other artists including Waylon Jennings, Sister Hazel, Sheryl Crow and Hole (who's 1996 version became a hit in the US).

Sheryl Crow was going to join Fleetwood Mac in 2008 as a replacement for Christine McVie, who retired from touring in 1998. That plan fell through, but the four other members from from the Rumours days did complete a very successful world tour in December 2009.

A co-headlining tour with the Eagles has been announced for 2010, so the final verse of Fleetwood Mac has yet to be sung!

http://my-tunes.crabbysbeach.com/blogs/classic-rumours/