The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Should Walk A Thin Line in discog be listed as different mix on Chain box to Tusk mix
Yes, and I'll list my title suggestion (i.e. Alternate Mix") below 0 0%
No, it should remain linked with the Tusk mix 4 100.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question Walk A Thin Line: Listed as a different mix on box in discog?

Per discussion in another thread, this is to decide whether we should list Walk A Thin Line on the Chain box as including a different mix instead of it being linked to the Tusk version in the Penguin Discogrpahy (as it is now).

We're just looking for votes in this thread but if you feel it should be listed as a different mix please say in this thread how you think it should be listed (i.e. "Alternate Mix" etc.) but please keep it as brief as possible since there's not much room to list such details but we need to put something there so those visiting the page will know why it's separated from the Tusk version.

Naturally, the most votes here wins and I'm not wedded to either outcome but I'd only say that I don't think we should open a can of worms in that there's no point having a database set up there if it gets to the point where people feel every compilation has a "different (something) to each track for a milisecond" then we have none linked together. Please use judgement regarding these kinds of things. Yes, audiophiles probably will notice very small things about each pressing of a particular recording but let's be reasonable about it. Like I said in the other thread, let's determine how many extra/different seconds it has to be to merit it being called a "different mix" or whatever (because rarely, is it always going to match up time wise perfectly due to different pressings being manufactured as slightly different speeds etc.

Thanks in advance for your input.

John
Old 02-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

As for running time of the song, both 25 Years the Chain and Tusk (I listened to a CD, but not the 2004 reissue) have it at 3:44.... Listened to the 2004 version as well. all have 3:44 as running time.

Last edited by holidayroad; 02-15-2010 at 11:07 AM..
Old 02-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
As for running time of the song, both 25 Years the Chain and Tusk (I listened to a CD, but not the 2004 reissue) have it at 3:44.... Listened to the 2004 version as well. all have 3:44 as running time.
I just used running time as an example relevant to some cases where we should draw the line regarding what we should call a "different mix/version/edit/whatever".

Like I think most would agree that, while remastered, You Make Loving Fun on the '88 GH album is the same recording as on Rumours but it clocks in one second less on GH as it does on Rumours but it would be silly to call that a different performance of some kind. The 4:37 Sara edit vs. the full 6:26 I can understand because it's substantially shorter but the main point of linking performances is so when people buy a comp, they want to know that the version they want is there.

Say someone wants the studio version of Big Love and they were thinking of getting the '02 Very Best Of. Well, if they look at our discog page they'll see it includes the Dance version so we saved them from wasting their money on the wrong item.

Again, I know these are obvious examples but it's good we have these polls so we can determine how finite we want to be on this is all.

John
Old 02-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Since this ended with no votes wanting this change, I guess we'll leave it as is. Thanks for your participation.

John
Old 02-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you for doing these polls, John, and for all your help with this boxset/remix stuff!

Jimmy