Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The last Song from Rumors......

What was your least favorite song from Rumors when it was released/or first time you listened to it?

It was Oh Daddy for me. I like it but it was at the bottom of the list. Over the years it has become one of my favorites. After hearing the alternative version with more of Stevie’s vocals prominent gave me even more appreciation for the track. The song is another masterpiece.

Last edited by BLY; 05-29-2020 at 08:13 PM..
Old 05-29-2020, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I’m weird. “Rumours” was the last studio album by that lineup I bought (late 87-early 88). I was also familiar with “Mystery..,” “Law & Order,” and some Peter Green era stuff before “Rumours.”

NGBA was probably my least favorite, but I loved the whole album from the start. Obviously I knew the hits, and I had heard “The Chain” from the Mirage tour on VH-1’s Fleetwood Mac Weekend (which is why I bought the cassette). But, I liked that song.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-29-2020, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I never cared for Songbird. There have been a few live versions over the years that were good. I would have gladly traded that song for Silver Springs though.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've never been a big fan of Oh Daddy. It's snoozeville.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I loved (and love) everything on it, but love NGBA less than the others. Pretty tune. But not one that feels as essential as the others.

But then I also love “Oh Daddy” more than most songs on the album...
Old 05-30-2020, 09:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
What was your least favorite song from Rumors when it was released/or first time you listened to it?

It was Oh Daddy for me. I like it but it was at the bottom of the list. Over the years it has become one of my favorites. After hearing the alternative version with more of Stevie’s vocals prominent gave me even more appreciation for the track. The song is another masterpiece.
I like all of them, but "I Don't Want To Know" was the least consequential IMO. Caillat talks about album length side and how important it was to keep each side under 22 minutes, but "Silver Springs" could have fit in place of this song, and I think it would have been the better choice.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

For a long time I considered Oh Daddy and I Don't Want to Know as the least essential songs. However, I've come to appreciate them much more.
Don't Stop is now probably the one I can live without hearing.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 05-31-2020, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Definitely “Oh, Daddy”. Never liked it and probably never will.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Oh Daddy"
Old 05-31-2020, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
For a long time I considered Oh Daddy and I Don't Want to Know as the least essential songs. However, I've come to appreciate them much more.
Don't Stop is now probably the one I can live without hearing.
I LOVE Idwtk. Always have. It's the first guitar solo I ever learned to play!
Old 05-31-2020, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I LOVE Idwtk. Always have. It's the first guitar solo I ever learned to play!

IDWTK is the song that got me hooked. It’s my number #1.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Oh Daddy is one of the most beautiful tracks the Mac has ever recorded. I admit when I first got Rumours I was young and did not understand music so much. However, Oh Daddy is pure brilliance.

I would still axe Never Going Back again and I Don't Want To Know for Silver Springs
Old 06-01-2020, 07:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Oh Daddy is one of the most beautiful tracks the Mac has ever recorded. I admit when I first got Rumours I was young and did not understand music so much. However, Oh Daddy is pure brilliance.

I would still axe Never Going Back again and I Don't Want To Know for Silver Springs
Fully agreed on Oh Daddy. I am always amazed to realize that anything ballad-like or slow gets ignored or disliked by so many people.

My last song on Rumours is I Don't Want to Know. But I would not replace it with the original Silver Springs which, in demo form, sounds too thin to fit into the Rumours album.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Fully agreed on Oh Daddy. I am always amazed to realize that anything ballad-like or slow gets ignored or disliked by so many people.

My last song on Rumours is I Don't Want to Know. But I would not replace it with the original Silver Springs which, in demo form, sounds too thin to fit into the Rumours album.
Not that Christine's singing ruins the song but has anyone listened to the track without singing. It covers all the bases what made the Mac a super group. Lindsey's guitar is incredible. Christine's playing is so mystical. Micks percussion is so good. IMHO, the track is more Lindsey but its the perfect creation of Lindsey and Christine playing around each other. Take a listen. Its pure magic. There is not a bigger example of Christine and Lindsey's interwoven talents than this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfc3y0G511Y

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-01-2020 at 08:50 AM..
Old 06-01-2020, 08:17 PM

Never Going Back Again was my least favorite. (Love it now)

Oh Daddy is one of the best tunes FM has ever written. The Stevie backing vocal demo is so beautiful.

I'm glad SS wasn't added to the album. The Dance version of that song blows away any Rumors version. That moment when they brought back SS during The Dance is huge. The piano intro and nuance, the sweet guitar, the harmonies, the performance, and the behavior of B/N completely blew us away.