The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Does anyone from/associated with Fleetwood Mac visit The Ledge?

This forum is essentially full of die-hard fans who pretty much know Fleetwood Mac better than they know themselves. It's ground central for anyone who wants to check the pulse of the band's constituency.

On the (likely wrong) assumption that they would even want to put together a revamped set list,with an entirely new order, featuring songs they have never or rarely performed, or recasting well-worn songs, this would be the best place to get ideas! Ledgies have a plethora of interesting, out-of-the box, viable ideas.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-02-2014 at 02:47 PM..
Old 07-02-2014, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

To the best of my knowledge, Jeremy Spencer is the last one who is still active on the Ledge. Ken Caillat used to post on here from time to time, but his participation seemed to drop off after he wrote his book. Bob Welch was a member until his death; his wife was very active until her recent banning. Dave Stewart joined a few years back, but never posted.

We've had lots of great Q&A sessions, but most of those folks never joined the Ledge (that I know of):

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/fwm/inde...d=28&Itemid=42

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
This forum is essentially full of die-hard fans who(somewhat) know Fleetwood Mac better than they know themselves. It's ground central for anyone who wants to check the pulse of their constituency.

On the (likely wrong) assumption that they would even want to put together a revamped set list,with an entirely new order, featuring songs they have never or rarely performed, or recasting well-worn songs, this would be the best place to get ideas! Ledgies have a plethora of interesting and viable ideas.
There is no doubt in my mind that what goes on at the Ledge gets passed on to the band. Back in late 2001 Ken Caillat did a Q&A, and I asked him about Smile At You. The song then ended up appearing on Say You Will. Ledge members used to decry the absence of Sara & Sisters Of The Moon in the setlist, and both songs have been brought back. Ledgies used to fawn over how they'd never hear deep cuts like Storms or Beautiful Child live... they have both been performed now. Fans used to wish Stevie (for instance) would perform at small venues. During the In Your Dreams tour, Stevie booked 2 such shows, but only ended up performing at one (due to illness). I could go on... but I feel it's safe to say the Ledge is used to mine information for the band.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Dave Stewart joined a few years back, but never posted.

There is no doubt in my mind that what goes on at the Ledge gets passed on to the band. Back in late 2001 Ken Caillat did a Q&A, and I asked him about Smile At You. The song then ended up appearing on Say You Will.

During the In Your Dreams tour, Stevie booked 2 such shows, but only ended up performing at one (due to illness). I could go on... but I feel it's safe to say the Ledge is used to mine information for the band.
Wow. I had no clue. This bodes well (I hope) for Stevie using some old demos from us Ledgie's "wish lists" on her new record. And hopefully the band will revamp the set list for this upcoming tour. We can hope, can't we?

Last edited by sorcerer999; 07-02-2014 at 05:38 PM..
Old 07-02-2014, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge, Jeremy Spencer is the last one who is still active on the Ledge. Ken Caillat used to post on here from time to time, but his participation seemed to drop off after he wrote his book. Bob Welch was a member until his death; his wife was very active until her recent banning. Dave Stewart joined a few years back, but never posted.
John posted once re his birthday. I don't think he visits the Ledge, but I know he read Lisa Adelson's Mcvie story, because he asked me about it.

There are a lot of places you can go to get FM fan feedback on twitter and Facebook these days, so those affiliated with the musicians have a wealth of places to look. But I did smile a few years ago when Stevie was doing Q & A sessions and she said they were talking about her red shawl online, because we had a thread about her red shawl going at the time.

Michele
Old 07-02-2014, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, if anything here gets passed on to the band, then I should say this: Christine, thank you for coming back!!! And thank you for being the impetus for a new Mac album. I doubted there would be another. Your return is a dream.

Message sent....received?
Old 07-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Over the years, I suspect there have been a few sick fks who wanted us to think they had a connection.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

We've had lots of great Q&A sessions, but most of those folks never joined the Ledge (that I know of):

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/fwm/inde...d=28&Itemid=42

There is no doubt in my mind that what goes on at the Ledge gets passed on to the band. Back in late 2001 Ken Caillat did a Q&A, and I asked him about Smile At You. The song then ended up appearing on Say You Will. Ledge members used to decry the absence of Sara & Sisters Of The Moon in the setlist, and both songs have been brought back. Ledgies used to fawn over how they'd never hear deep cuts like Storms or Beautiful Child live... they have both been performed now. Fans used to wish Stevie (for instance) would perform at small venues. During the In Your Dreams tour, Stevie booked 2 such shows, but only ended up performing at one (due to illness). I could go on... but I feel it's safe to say the Ledge is used to mine information for the band.

Then hopefully they will see the high demand for Hold Me. I love that song so much. I never thought I would ever get to see all five of them live, so it would just top it off so amazingly if they played Hold Me.

Last edited by Wdm6789; 07-02-2014 at 09:06 PM..
Old 07-02-2014, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wish there was more band connection with fans. That could exist in many different ways. The Rolling Stones, for instance, allow fans to vote for a song before concerts. These bands have outstanding back catalogues. It's a shame when tours show zero fluidity and great songs don't get played (and music critics don't call out the bands); I know if I were playing the same set night after night I would be bored out of my mind. Very funny that fans know Fleetwood Mac "better than they know themselves." Was ever that the case last year when the band seemed to have no idea how they used to play Sisters of the Moon. I wonder what role Marty Hom plays in setting/running up the tour, whether certain pressures are placed on the band?

Last edited by bethelblues; 07-03-2014 at 12:03 AM..
Old 07-02-2014, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
John posted once re his birthday. I don't think he visits the Ledge, but I know he read Lisa Adelson's Mcvie story, because he asked me about it.

There are a lot of places you can go to get FM fan feedback on twitter and Facebook these days, so those affiliated with the musicians have a wealth of places to look. But I did smile a few years ago when Stevie was doing Q & A sessions and she said they were talking about her red shawl online, because we had a thread about her red shawl going at the time.

Michele
"They're talking about it on the fan line." She said it at one of the summer IYD shows, I can't remember which one.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
I wish there was more band connection with fans. That could exist in many different ways. The Rolling Stones, for instance, allow fans to vote for a song before concerts. These bands have outstanding back catalogues. It's a shame when tours show zero fluidity and great songs don't get paid (and music critics don't call out the bands); I know if I were playing the same set night after night I would be bored out of my mind. Very funny that fans know Fleetwood Mac "better than they know themselves." Was ever that the case last year when the band seemed to have no idea how they used to play Sisters of the Moon. I wonder what role Marty Hom plays in setting/running up the tour, whether certain pressures are placed on the band?
I loved your post!

Some bands are just like Fleetwood Mac. They see their set list much like a play or Broadway stage show. It's tightly planned and paced for the entire tour. Variation is not an option, except for minor adjustments. Just remember your lines. Other bands are more fluid and loose, often changing up the song list or song sequence, even during tours, playing one-off songs whenever they they feel like it. Some artists mine hundreds of songs from their catalog. Others stick to the hits and more familiar songs, never straying too far off the beaten path or past.

Regarding their recent performance of Sisters of the Moon. I don't mind when artists take liberty to change/reinvent the arrangement of an old song in a live performance. Sometimes it's better, sometime not. Maybe Stevie is holding back a bit to preserve her voice and maintain her energy. As such, her current approach to the song can't hold a candle to the her original performance (the quintessential live performance being that was filmed for the Mirage concert video tape, 32 years later). Her current rendering of the song was, understandingly, a disappointment to many who had high hopes for it. I'm just glad she finally dusted it off, if only for a moment.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-03-2014 at 12:32 AM..
Old 07-03-2014, 12:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Regarding their recent performance of Sisters of the Moon. I don't mind when artists take liberty to change/reinvent the arrangement of an old song in a live performance. Sometimes it's better, sometime not.

She has learned how to pace herself over the years, maybe holding back a bit to preserve her voice and maintain her energy. As such, her current approach to the song can't hold a candle to the her original performance (the quintessential live performance being that was filmed for the Mirage concert video tape, 32 years later.

Her current rendering of the song was, understandingly, a disappointment to many who had high hopes for it. I'm just glad she finally dusted it off for a moment.
Great points on differences in how bands tour, very true. Dave Matthews is one many people run to see because the shows night to night can be so different. Though he's playing a different kind of show and venue than Fleetwood Mac.

But then, when you go to a show that is the same for an entire tour you don't really know whether you are seeing something special. The artists are probably steamrolling through their classics, playing solos they can do in their sleep; and it's hard to tell the vocal/sound differences night by night. One dream of mine was that Fleetwood Mac played a small venue like the Beacon Theater in NYC for a taped 50th anniversary concert directed by Martin Scorsese or Jonathan Demme (or another director who is a fan) honoring the history of the band....there's a huge opportunity there, special guests, rather intimate setting, more than just Rumours.

I should have clarified on Sisters of the Moon. I thought Stevie brought it for the vocal. I was more disappointed with the instrumental arrangement, the setting of Lindsey's guitar, the slower pace and softer feel, the inserted vocal over the instrumental refrain, how it just seemed to end.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's usually the band's support staff that visits sites like The Ledge, rather than the artists themselves. Once they've moved on in their careers, they never visit again. So there probably isn't anyone consistently monitoring the site.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I get the impression Lindsey's quite vain.
As he's pretty tech-savvy I cant believe he wouldn't sneak a peek on here every now and then.

Hey Lindsey, vanity isn't necessarily a bad trait- cant wait for the tour and album btw. Please play Tango In the Night. Cheers mate!