Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I just got John's Solo Album

First of all the whole concept of a John solo album was just too hard for me to wrap my head around. I had forgotten it even existed for awhile. But then about a week ago I ordered it off amazon new for about 3.50 plus shipping, just to say I have it. Now I felt if John was going put his name on the cover then his bass better be at the freaking center of every song. I expected at least 3 or 4 chain like bass solos. And every song should've been a Miles Away or Smile At You type song with lots of in your face bass. It's a John freaking McVie album. Thats not what I got, but what he did was just put together a really awseome band where all players were great and the bass was just enough in the center of every song although not as in your face as I would've liked.

Now this Lola Thomas chick, can SING. Why is there no record of her before or after this album. She is incredible. She has elements of Janis, Ann, Stevie, and Christine all wrapped into one. I like every song on this album except The Bigger the Love. And its thanks about 50 percent to her awseome voice and 50 percent to that great sounding band led by John. John should've invited her to join Fleetwood Mac instead of Bekka. Or hell she should've been the second woman this tour instead of Sheryl. She could've even sang all of Stevie's songs for her up until Landslide She is clearly inspired by Stevie lyrically. One of the four songs she wrote are "Lost What You Had" which screams I just listened to Dreams and wrote this song. And tell me if im right you musicians is the bass line to "all that i was guilty of" very similar to the one in Dreams? to my ears it is, but i coul be wrong.

The two best songs for me are Step Aside for just being the best all around song complete with what I originall expected, with John's bass clearly at the center and All that I Was Guilty of for being my favorite vocal from Lola.

Seriously I think this might be my favorite Fleetwood Mac related release of the 90's. I much prefer the sound of John's band with Lola Thomas to lindsey's self indulgent playing on Out of the Cradle. And from start to finish Lola's songs are way better then Stevie's from start to finish on Street Angel. And the production on Behind the Mask is too much for me. So Go John, I wish I had owned this when you were doing your Q and A. I would've asked a question or two concearning it.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 05-08-2009, 07:21 PM

I really wanted him to do a bass statement with his solo album...
Old 05-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, but that would've been out of character for John. That's actually one of his great strentgths as a bassist.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-08-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Yeah, but that would've been out of character for John. That's actually one of his great strentgths as a bassist.
You got that right..... my comment was about me not him...
Old 05-09-2009, 01:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah but he does have those certain songs where his playing is right out in freaking center of the song. Miles Away and Smile At You are the two that always come to mind, where the bass is not adding subtly to the song, but it is the focus and center of the song. I just felt logically that Gotta Band would be all those types of songs together.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 05-09-2009, 03:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I never believed that John really intended this album to be anything but fun. I think he met Lola, thought he could lend his name to promote her talent, and went into the studio to have a good time.

It certainly is one of the more enjoyable solo releases by an FM member. It was reasonably lightweight, but personally I don't think it was ever meant to be anything else.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

i have it too~ i don't mind it, i put it in from time to time~
Old 05-09-2009, 08:08 AM
Senior Ledgie

I really like this album too! I'd love to hear Loloa do more music....saddely it appears not to be!
Old 05-10-2009, 02:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, the Gotta Band is a great band, and Lola Thomas really can sing beautifully. I would have loved to hear another album from her, too. When I asked about her and why she isn't googleable, on this board a few years ago, people told me that she has gotten married and retired from music. I hope she's doing just fine and wish her family all the best.

Her album is still great anyway. And I think it's mainly her album, not John's. Kudos to John for giving her that moment in the limelight.