Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Discuss Say You Love Me

I really enjoyed responding to and reading everyone else's Dreams disscussions, I thought I'd start a new thread for a new song, and randomly picked Say You Love Me, well not completely random. I feel Say You Love Me is another EXTREMELY poplular Fleetwood Mac, that may get swept under the rug by us die hards for being played to death on the radio and in concert (when Chris was in the band) This song while obviously one of teh bands absolute most commercial and pop sounding song, is still very deep in ways.

For me, Say You Love Me is the best exampke of any Fleetwood Mac song out there, where the rythym section steals the show. I'm not saying Mick doesn't have some better drum performances out there and John has some better bass lines, but on SYLM, the drumming and bass lines are the MAIN attraction, they absolutely make the song, and take would could've been Fleetwood Mac's most sugary purely pop song and gives it a slightly bluesy rock sound that puts Fleetwood Mac above some over similar bands. It starts with just that classic piano riff alone until abou 0:05 when Mick's drums kick in, 3-4 seconds later John comes in to take the song into outer space along with Chris's awseome vocals, and may I add really good lyrics. And 2nd to the rythym section in importance to SYLM are those INCREDIBLE harmonies on the chorus, and especially on teh ending Falling Falling Fallings>

When you think about it, Say You Love Me has got to be Chris's signiture song. Don't Stop may be a bit more popular and Chris wrote it, but it's hard to call it her signiture song when Lindsey sings 70 percent of the lead vocals. I think thats a general rule, that you should be the main vocal on your signiture song. So taking out Don't Stop, it's really a dead heat between Say You Love Me and You Make Loving Fun.

The only negative thing I have to say about SYLM is that I feel it was a lousy choice to open all those concerts with. The song was not particularly great live in general to me until The Dance Tour, and it sure as hell was dull as an opener. The

He Will Burn You Down
Old 02-27-2007, 02:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

I would love to discuss it, but you nailed it pretty hard with your post. I would add the keyboard to the drumming and bass as main attractions, the whole rhythm section is stunning. I used to sit and marvel about how many different rhythms there were going on that were fast and all fit together in a perfectly even way. So even that the song sounds simple, but it isn't at all if you listen to everything that is going on. FM always did that, made what was really "a lot going on" sound like something easy and lovely, fitting together seamlessly.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 02-27-2007, 07:31 AM
Senior Ledgie

Simply one of the best pop songs ever written and recorded.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Great description, Hawkeye. I agree with everything you said, except that I loved it live on The Dance tour. Esp. Lindsey's little banjo (right?) intro. This is a pop song in the truest sense of the word, but it's not a fluffy piece of forgettable music like so many pop songs are.

And did anyone else not know the actual lyrics for a long time? I initially thought it was "rule me" not "woo me."
Old 02-27-2007, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
And did anyone else not know the actual lyrics for a long time? I initially thought it was "rule me" not "woo me."
Psshht. You're so lame. "Rule me"??? C'mon!!! *scoff*. I always knew what it was. I can't for the life of me figure out how you could have mistaken that lyric.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 02-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
Great description, Hawkeye. I agree with everything you said, except that I loved it live on The Dance tour. ."
well then I guess you agree with everything I said then since what I was trying to say os I disliked all the live versions EXCEPT The Dance, which I really liked.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 02-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
well then I guess you agree with everything I said then since what I was trying to say os I disliked all the live versions EXCEPT The Dance, which I really liked.
Ah, I misread. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Love, love, love when Lindsey plays the banjo!! I wish he played it more. The Dance version is awesome. When they're all at the front of the stage together and they all look so happy, it makes me happy. And Lindsey's yeahhhhh at the end is the bomb.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like The Dance version. But I LOVE the 75 white album version. Everytime I hear it I get excited, genuinely excited.

Chris has often said it was with this song that she first felt the magic of the Linsdey-Stevie-Chris vocal formula. That may be true, but it's hr own lead signing that gives me goosbumps every time I hear it. I epsecially love the way she sings that last verse.

I'm nuts about this song. Can't you tell? It's commercial and yet, ironically, unlike anything else I've heard in rock music.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Say You Love Me" is a great pop song. I tend to take it for granted since Chris has written so many great pop songs. My favorite version is the single version that's on the White Album re-issue. I thought it was a great way to open their live shows. Chris even opened her solo tour with it.

By the way, "woo me" is my favorite lyric from the song.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is my second favourite of Christine's songs, after YMLF, I think. I love the jazzed-up single version they released with FM:FM, but I absolutely love The Dance version. On the DVD, when they are all together at the front of the stage, you can feel the old magic and it's a great variant on the established version. I am a fan of the Live Album version as well but more because I like to hear how it was played when the band was at its height.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The first time I heard SYLM was from the LIVE album. For 6 years it was the only version I new, until I got the white tape in 1988. Years later it came the Dance version. All versions are really good. I enjoy this song each time I listen it

Not the same with Over my head, the Dance version sucked. The LIVE version is faaaar better
Old 02-28-2007, 12:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I really enjoy these kinda of threads. So far most of the songs posted are song's I like. This is a good song. I can't honestly say this is one of my favorite Chris/Mac songs but I really do like it. I like singing the chours and dancing to it. So I have it listed as a workout song.

I dunno about anybody else but SYML always reminded me of "Think About Me." Both have that sugary pop sound (although TAM is a little rockier), catchy chours, similar tone, great tune to dance to etc. I perfered the latter when I first got into FM and now I perfer SYWL (I still like TAM). I like the harmonies more and while I agree that the rythym section is good..its' Chris's piano that makes the song for me. I also like the bridge (I think's that is what you call a bridge..can someone correct me? I am curious) when they're no vocals and you just hear Lindsey's guitar part.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post

The only negative thing I have to say about SYLM is that I feel it was a lousy choice to open all those concerts with. The song was not particularly great live in general to me until The Dance Tour, and it sure as hell was dull as an opener. The
I could not disagree with you more! I will never forget my first Fleetwood Mac concert (Shake the Cage Tour 1987), and those first few seconds of darkness. Then suddenly a single spotlight shines on Christine as she plays the opening chords on the keybooard, and then, POW- the entire stage is lit up and the rest of the band kicks in. Very powerful! I have always loved that song, but I loved it even more after that moment.

This is one of those songs that I don't try to pick apart in the technical sense. The keyboard part is rather simple, and the rhythm is a bit tricky, as previously mentioned. All I know is that the song is like a cup of sunshine whenever I hear it. No matter what I am doing or how bummed I am, when I hear this song, I get a little spring in my step. To be honest, I hate the Dance version; that keyboard part is crucial to the song... and the magic of those three voices harmonizing is drowned out by the addition of all of those additional vocalists. I admire their willingness to do something different, but I wish they could have given the unplugged treatment to something like "Everywhere" or "Little Lies."