User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
I don't do downloads, I have no mechanisms for playback except my laptop.
You can copy them to CD and play them in your car, cd stereo, anywhere cds are played.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmaletic View Post
Agreed.
I wish I remembered the name of his new book.. ??

Joyland. He also released "Guns", a non-fiction essay on gun violence in America this past January.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
From Fleetwoodmacnews.com:

At #143 (down from #63) The new EP "Extended Play" extended it's stay on the top 200 indie chart selling a further 672 units for the sales week down 53% vs the previous week where it sold 1,435 units. Total U.S. sales since it's release April 30th is an abysmal 10,709.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Not surprising. I don't really think the whole EP thing was the way to go anyway. But good for them for trying.

Also, I think minimal Stevie presence was a mistake as well, sales-wise.

But we'll never really know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
That is abysmal, especially for new product under the name Fleetwood Mac. I was hoping that the EP would've sold at least 20-25K units by now, but considering the fact that this was an Indie release, quietly distributed via Itunes & Amazon for digital download only, I guess that I shouldn't be all that surprised. But whoever overlooked the opportunity to sell hard copy CD's of this EP at their merchadise table should be shot, because otherwise I would anticipate that they could've easily sold between 10-20K more copies by now to the fans (mostly older) who'd be more drawn to a physical copy. I have to think that the 10K+ units sold so far only further perpetuates Stevie's notion that the majority of people do not want new music, much less a full length record.
Question: Is this EP considered a flop? Too soon to tell?
Old 05-29-2013, 03:27 PM
Senior Ledgie

I don't know if it's a flop or not. This is the first time they've done anything like this. I suppose a band as "big" as Fleetwood Mac should be able to move more than 11,000 copies of anything they put out there, regardless of the format. But in this case there was very little, if any, push behind the product. Yes, Lindsey talked about it at shows, but he was very vague about release dates. Then it kind of just appeared. They did do some posting on Facebook and it did get reviewed pretty widely, but there was no radio support or any kind of advertising or other promotion accompanying it (no appearance on The Tonight Show, for example).

I think it was brave of them to go digital-only, but given their audience, perhaps it wasn't the right thing to do at this point. Plus, there was very little Stevie on it and the one song she did contribute was old and, to be frank, not very well produced.

So, in the larger scheme of things, this EP will probably be considered a flop (even though I think that's a bit unfair), but the real test will come when they put out an actual CD. If that doesn't sell well in the first week, then they're in trouble.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by editme2 View Post
Ithe real test will come when they put out an actual CD. If that doesn't sell well in the first week, then they're in trouble.
with the risk of sounding like TrueFaith:

they will not do a whole CD after this. even though they can only blame themselves for making it practically impossible to find after the first week (i'm pretty sure almost the whole 10,000 are first week sales) and next to no promotion, SN must be now even more convinced that nobody wants to buy their music.

we are lucky we got this EP, and we will be even more lucky if Lindsey and Mick keep pushing to put more new music out and we get a few subsequent EPs.

and SN fans will be really lucky if she accepts Lindsey's offer and uses his melodies for the poems she has in her vaults and they put that out too.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-29-2013, 08:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There was absolutely zero marketing for this EP...so it's very unfair to call it a flop. I'm sure it will be Stevie's excuse not to do anymore new music. Of course she'll turn around and do a full solo album.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by editme2 View Post
I don't know if it's a flop or not. This is the first time they've done anything like this. I suppose a band as "big" as Fleetwood Mac should be able to move more than 11,000 copies of anything they put out there, regardless of the format. But in this case there was very little, if any, push behind the product. Yes, Lindsey talked about it at shows, but he was very vague about release dates. Then it kind of just appeared.
Even now, he could be more specific about where it is. He could actually say the words "Itunes" and "Amazon." He could call it "Extended Play" so people would know what to search for, instead of just putting in the words "Fleetwood Mac" and hoping they get lucky.

He does say the title "Sad Angel." I guess you could leave the venue with those words in your head and go searching for the song. But you have to be determined.

It's true that most of the sales probably occurred the first week, because that is when it showed up on the Itunes page as a featured selection, so people could impulse buy it. Not to mention that that's when most of us bought it.

Michele
Old 05-30-2013, 06:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
with the risk of sounding like TrueFaith:
what's so bad about that?!

Quote:
they will not do a whole CD after this.:
agreed

Quote:
and SN fans will be really lucky if she accepts Lindsey's offer and uses his melodies for the poems she has in her vaults and they put that out too.
to what does this refer?!

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
what's so bad about that?!

agreed

to what does this refer?!
In a recent interview, Lindsey said that he felt his work was mostly done in terms of contributing to a possible new Fleetwood Mac album (he's right - he has cut 8 tracks and that is plenty). The quote you've included refers to how he said in the same interview that he has a lot of raw, instrumental tracks which he has not written lyrics for - and he went on to say that he could send these to Stevie and they could co-write/collaborate, he does the music and she does the words. He seemed excited by this possibility saying it was something they have never done before. Lindsey also said the only way an album would happen is if Stevie contributes some new material, as we all know already.

I wish Fleetwood Mac could just see past their wallets and realise that they are rich and it does not really matter if they make a record and it does not sell well. People will buy it and they could have a great time making music together (maybe just once not by hijacking a LB solo project). If they recorded even just two or three songs written by and performed with Chris McVie people would go crazy for that record. Just do not understand why they insist on saying people don't want new music, or that if Christine wants to record with them, she can if she tours otherwise she can forget about it. (Nonsense!)
Old 05-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
There was absolutely zero marketing for this EP...so it's very unfair to call it a flop. I'm sure it will be Stevie's excuse not to do anymore new music. Of course she'll turn around and do a full solo album.
Jeez, it sounds like you're referring to the Time album (which so far, has outsold this new EP) So, in your face, Time-haters!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Ledgie

Don't know how music as good as what's on the EP can be called a flop. Commercially? By whose standards? Don't think the band cares all that much or they would've gone on Letterman/Leno/Kimmel/Fallon et al and done Sad Angel & Miss Fantasy.
Do wish it was a full album but it's the first new music from FM in TEN years. AND it's GREAT! Until we get a new album I've slotted the songs into Say You Will, replaced a few of the weaker tunes and made SYW a much more satisfying listen.
It's all good.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Don't know how music as good as what's on the EP can be called a flop. Commercially? By whose standards? Don't think the band cares all that much or they would've gone on Letterman/Leno/Kimmel/Fallon et al and done Sad Angel & Miss Fantasy.
Whose standards? Fleetwood Mac's standards. And Stevie made it clear that she does care in that she based the prospects of further new music on the success of this EP. Why the band didn't promote it I really don't know.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Jeez, it sounds like you're referring to the Time album (which so far, has outsold this new EP) So, in your face, Time-haters!
Touche! Although I think it's important to remember that Time was released in a different time (har har). Their sales expectations must be considerably tempered by this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
Whose standards? Fleetwood Mac's standards. And Stevie made it clear that she does care in that she based the prospects of further new music on the success of this EP. Why the band didn't promote it I really don't know.
Yes, I think it's fair to say that the band has demonstrated over the years that they do have a commercial mindset, particularly Stevie and Mick, but I think all of them to a degree. I recently watched the Destiny Rules documentary and I swear almost half of the screentime was centred around the band's angsting over whether people would actually buy Say You Will. But then, they must be aware of how little they did to promote the EP. It'll be interesting to find out how they all are reacting to this.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:31 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
Makes it kind of a blackmail scenario doesn't it? Buy this EP or I won't do an album. Interesting sales strategy, isn't it? Hearing something like this might turn off the average fan (Not us hardcores though).

Old 05-30-2013, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Makes it kind of a blackmail scenario doesn't it? Buy this EP or I won't do an album. Interesting sales strategy, isn't it? Hearing something like this might turn off the average fan (Not us hardcores though).
I don't think they meant to frame it that way. Most bands use their popularity to gauge whether or not another project is going to be worthwhile, and record sales are still going to be a part of measuring people's interest. People want to make enough money to at least cover their recording costs and feel compensated for their time working. I think that's fair enough.