Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:44 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default So.... What song defines...

To me, there's only a few songs that kinda describes the inside vibe of FM...
For me... Fireflies seems to describe the flavor of where they were at that time..
What do you think other songs shows what actually was really going on within the dynamics of the band...
The Chain gets so much attention... But it's really more of a mission statement...

When you don't know what it is
But you can't get enough of it
Old 04-18-2012, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The 1975 recording of Crystal defines the mix of nostalgia and tentative hope in the band that year. Stevie talks of going to Hawaii soon after recording it, listening to the wandering Multimoog part on the outro while lying on the carpet in her hotel room.

That wonderful extemporized melody encapsulates all the elements of the band: the British countryside, the waning Northern California hippie scene, AM pop radio (bigger than FM at the time), recurrent phases of success and failure, and a touching resolve not to throw in the towel.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-18-2012, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

People like to make much of Rumours, but I think Tusk really gives us a no holds barred kind of insight into what the band was going through at the height of their popularity and in the midst of the craziness that was the juggernaut of FM. This was the album that really highlighted their unravelling relationships and their parting of the ways musically. This album, to me, was their real break up album both individually and as a band. The coming years' albums were just the band essentially going through the motions. Nothing as groundbreaking, innovative or heartfelt followed. I think the rawness of the band greatly diminished after Tusk.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Maybe the lyrics have little or nothing to do with Lindsey departure, but when I listen You and I part II, I feel like Lindsey was saying Goodbye to the band. Specially at the end when the sounds starts to get low and low... and dissapears, like if he is going far away.

Sometimes I imagine it's Mick hoping tomorrow will never come, cause tomorrow Lindsey will not be there. But actually it's more the sound than the lyrics that gives me that feeling. Just my feeling.