Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 04:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
Yeah, we pretty much gotta go with these three singles. Funny how low a profile "Think About Me" has, though. Only performed a few times in concert, not on the radio these days, and never included in compilations. Personally, I love it.
I agree, too. Think About Me is in my top 10 FM songs. It makes every "my hits" compilation. It's just plain pop rock perfection.
"Every every ONCE in awhiiiiillllle".

The most magical of FM singles, IMO, were the Chris/Lindsey duets. Think About Me, Hold Me, Don't Stop(even though y'all hate it).
Old 03-03-2012, 08:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I share the love for Think About Me and wonder if it would be a different story if it had been released as the first single. That maybe would have taken a bit of the edge of Tusk when it first sent shockwaves over the radio in '79. I'm really surprised that Sisters of the Moon didn't do better as a single but by mid 1980, Tusk had run of out of steam despite the long tour to support it. The world wasn't ready for the brilliance of this album back in '79, but I'm not really sure which era it should've landed in, maybe right about now
Old 03-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Now I LOVE SOTM. It's in my top 3 mac songs ever. But I can't help but feel they should've went with Angel as the 4th single

He Will Burn You Down
Old 03-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Now I LOVE SOTM. It's in my top 3 mac songs ever. But I can't help but feel they should've went with Angel as the 4th single
i love both SOTM and Angel. in fact other than Sara, i really love all SN songs on Tusk (very different for me - there is just a handful of her non-tusk songs that i like).

... and other than SMAP and TAFE, i LOVE all LB songs on Tusk.

... and i also love Think About Me and agree with several people who said that CM songs with strong LB vocal presence are all really enjoyable to listen to. other CM songs on Tusk are just too slow for me. i probably should give them a chance but i never had the patience so far.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
... and i also love Think About Me and agree with several people who said that CM songs with strong LB vocal presence are all really enjoyable to listen to. other CM songs on Tusk are just too slow for me. i probably should give them a chance but i never had the patience so far.
I too love pretty much all of Lindsey's songs on Tusk. Even the slower ones, like SMAP, are musically interesting enough, to hold me.

But Storms? Zzzzzz. Beautiful Child? Almost as sleepy. Seems to drag on forever(both of them, actually). I pretty much feel the same way about Honey Hi, and Never Forget, but AT LEAST they are short and sweet. It's one thing to nap for 3 minutes....5 minutes is another story.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So are we going with Sara, Tusk, and Think About Me as the hits?
Old 03-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
I share the love for Think About Me and wonder if it would be a different story if it had been released as the first single. That maybe would have taken a bit of the edge of Tusk when it first sent shockwaves over the radio in '79.

Think About Me should def have been the first single from the album. It had that signature make sound but still sounded fresh and edgy. Sara should have come next and then Tusk. Then Angel opening the door for I Know I'm Not Wrong.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm glad "Tusk" was the lead single. People loved it, & it helped build buzz around the band that stretched beyond the kids who listened to FM radio. The whole tie-in with USC & the Trojan Marching Band was brilliant (aside from the musical aspect) because the song became so famous at the Coliseum for all the USC home games, when it was played as the fist-pumping theme whenever the team made a great play.

By the way, have you all seen the Coliseum video of the USC-Arizona State halftime show in October 1980 when Lindsey, Stevie, & Mick went onto the field & performed "Tusk" with the marching band? It's probably on YouTube by now.

The fact that the Rolling Stone critics (Rolling Stone was a music magazine in 1980, kiddies) voted "Tusk" the best single of 1980 just made the whole year extra special.

I think "Sara" was a great choice for the second single. Even though Christine is next in line, I don't hear any stand-out singles from any of the writers beyond "Tusk" & "Sara" because the album just isn't a singles album like the white album or "Rumours." I think of "Tusk" more like Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" or Bowie's "Low."

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
[from the perspective of how known these songs are today, still kinda funny to count Think About Me as a hit, and SHN as non-hit, isn't it? ]
Well, not really... "Second Hand News" never charted on Billboard, or elsewhere. It didn't "hit" the charts. It's certainly a well-known radio & concert staple however. As are "The Chain," "Gold Dust Woman" and others. Not being considered a hit doesn't take away from how memorable they are.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Ledgie

i'm pretty sure this song wasn't a huge hit, but i effing love it and it's sexy as hell: "Brown Eyes." i feel like that song is so under-rated, it's a shame i can't find live performances of it.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmersxa View Post
i'm pretty sure this song wasn't a huge hit, but i effing love it and it's sexy as hell: "Brown Eyes." i feel like that song is so under-rated, it's a shame i can't find live performances of it.
Listen to Mirage Tour tapes. You'll find it there.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel69 View Post
Think About Me should def have been the first single from the album. It had that signature make sound but still sounded fresh and edgy. Sara should have come next and then Tusk. Then Angel opening the door for I Know I'm Not Wrong.
I don't know if you were a fan of the band in 1979 or if you were even born yet but I must tell you the anticipation for that album was so immense. This was the followup to Rumours! Tusk was the perfect lead off single. I'll never forget the first day they played in on the radio in Sept. of '79 & my jaw almost dropped to the floor. It was so bizarre yet awesome at the same time. Everyone who heard it was like WTF, but in a cool way.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Listen to Mirage Tour tapes. You'll find it there.
thanks!!!
Old 03-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
Well, not really... "Second Hand News" never charted on Billboard, or elsewhere. It didn't "hit" the charts. It's certainly a well-known radio & concert staple however. As are "The Chain," "Gold Dust Woman" and others. Not being considered a hit doesn't take away from how memorable they are.
when you put it that way. SHN, GDW and The Chain were never released as [classic] singles and didn't hit the charts, but are still hitting various air-waves on most classic rock stations. unlike some of the chart-hitting songs.

see to me, this board is fun and play, not anything serious. so i don't really think we need to define what is a hit according to some billboard or music business definition or playbook. here what we want goes. so i think what MSB is doing now is a good way to go - he's collecting the votes of people that might be interested in his polls and selecting the songs according to the feedback he gets.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
see to me, this board is fun and play, not anything serious. so i don't really think we need to define what is a hit according to some billboard or music business definition or playbook. here what we want goes. so i think what MSB is doing now is a good way to go - he's collecting the votes of people that might be interested in his polls and selecting the songs according to the feedback he gets.
Thanks, elle. We Ledgies make the rules and play by them! It's all really good discussion, too.

I still say the songs that aren't featured live anymore kinda have a disadvantage as far as the perception of a "hit".
Closed Thread