The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:10 AM
Ledgie

Christine's songs are usually very strong, but the production on Love In Store and Only Over you are bland. Both needed to be beefed up.

Hold Me is a great song.

I was actually thinking about Wish You Were Here the other day. Again, the production let's it down. Can you imagine how great it would have sounded with an orchestra accompanying the band?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenC View Post
I was actually thinking about Wish You Were Here the other day. Again, the production let's it down. Can you imagine how great it would have sounded with an orchestra accompanying the band?
I have a theory about this song, which doesn't sound like anything else on Mirage. It's a sound that seemed to be very popular, which consisted of a very dry, spare sound and very simple, unadorned, crisp instrumentation with prominent drums- not unlike albums released by Billy Joel, Carly Simon, Jackson Browne, and, most notably, John Lennon around the same time. John Lennon's Double Fantasy kind of perfected that sonic template, especially on his greatest song ever- "Watching the Wheels." Other artists, namely Elton John ("Empty Garden") and Queen ("Life Is Real") issued Lennon tributes that kind of paid homage to this particular sound. I think "Wish You Were Here" was Fleetwood Mac's own tribute to John Lennon. No, there is nothing particularly Lennon-specific about the lyrics, but that mournful sentiment of someone who has passed on is there along with the decidedly Double Fantasy-like vocal and instrumental arrangements.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine wrote at least two gems for the "Mirage" album. The first is "Love In Store". This song is so infectiously catchy and has wonderful harmonies shared by Lindsay and Stevie. The lyrics are rather lighthearted but who can blame her? Christine has never been a poetic lyricist or something. With funny video and strong promotion this could have served as another single from the album. The second gem is "Only Over You". This song is so dreamy, much in the vein of "Warm Ways" from "Fleetwood Mac" album. Her voice is at its creamy-candy best here. As was the case with aforementioned song "Only Over You" in lyrical department can't be mistaken for poem but luckily it doesn't take away anything from this beautiful song.

"Hold Me" was the biggest hit from the album but I don't think it was that strong. It's just decent Pop song but truly nothing memorable if you ask me. And then there's "Wish You Were Here" which is dull and drags towards the end.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishStevieFan View Post
Christine wrote at least two gems for the "Mirage" album. The first is "Love In Store". This song is so infectiously catchy and has wonderful harmonies shared by Lindsay and Stevie.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Lindsay was the girl on the back of the White album, right?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishStevieFan View Post
Christine wrote at least two gems for the "Mirage" album. The first is "Love In Store". This song is so infectiously catchy and has wonderful harmonies shared by Lindsay and Stevie. The lyrics are rather lighthearted but who can blame her? Christine has never been a poetic lyricist or something. With funny video and strong promotion this could have served as another single from the album.
"Love In Store" was released as the third single from Mirage in the U.S. and reached #22 in Billboard.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I'm surprised Only Over You is so vilified! There's no other like it in her catalog of songs. It has a cool ethereal quality to it. I have always enjoyed it. People say I'm crazy. but they don't know!
I think it's beautiful and the swelling instrumentation at the end only heightens it.

Michele
Old 02-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Lindsay was the girl on the back of the White album, right?
Sorry Lindsey of course!
Old 02-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Senior Ledgie

Love In Store - 1960's folk rock in the 1980's...harmonies remind me of The Mamas And The Papas.
Only Over You - Dark, melancholic, well-expressed, vulnerable.
Hold Me - Catchy. Lovely video, too. Stevie looked great.
Wish You Were Here - Beautiful piano intro, interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
I'd totally believe Stevie singing 'I'm out of my mind'--
Christine's persona just seemed too 'cool, calm and collected' emotionally, or too stable, to pull that song off.
I think Miss Rock A Little with her Wild Heart would've been spellbinding on the vocal ...."People say I'm crazy..." Of course, they did!
I think it's a case of Christine having written a song that would have been great had Stevie sung it! (I'm out of my mind, well, baby, and its only, you know, over-over you- I'm still out of my mind, baby, well, well well, still I am out...of my mind, baby, and it's only over you!)
That's so true.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I think it's beautiful and the swelling instrumentation at the end only heightens it.

Michele
I totally understand what you mean. I get this really beautiful sensation as the tune ends.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I totally understand what you mean. I get this really beautiful sensation as the tune ends.
I also get it on "As Long As You Follow" at the outro
Old 02-28-2012, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Totally agree with the comments. Lindsey and Stevie's harmonies in Love in Store, Only over you melancholic and well-expressed, Stevie's look in the video of Hold Me (well... ), and the intro of Wish you were here, used in Silver Springs of The Dance! The last song of the album is just amazing, incredible, so cute!
Old 03-03-2012, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Love in Store as an opener, I know it opens with a bang, but to these ears, the bang should've been a little more dramatic and less mellow. I would've liked a little rougher electric guitar sound, but that being said, the harmonies don't get much better than that. Hold Me is also one of my all time favourites and still hear it on the radio occasionally today. A very melodic song and the shared vocal with Lindsey again works so well on McVie's tunes. I like the comments about Stevie singing Only Over You, (a thought just occurred to me that they could've had Christine do If You were My Love as a closer rather than I wish You Were Here, which I found bland and kind of contrived sounding. It just misses that sincerity that was present on Christine's other ballads. Her vocals throughout too, are simply amazing.