User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by APerfectLie View Post
Love In Store- I really like this song actually. However, I think Stevie does it better. I actually wish they would have pulled it out during Unleashed.

Hold Me- Christ, I never knew so many people loved this song. Don't get me wrong, I like it, it's catchy, and I usually listen to it if it happens to pop up, but it has never been one of my favorites. I can't say that I ever intentionally play hold me unless I am in some weird ass mood.

Wish You Were Here- I simply CANNOT listen to this song and not think of Silver Springs. But it's alright.

Only Over You- Such a bummer to have this song come after Gypsy. Gypsy is fun and amazing and then this comes along and is just bleh.

I have to say, I think Christine's songs on Tusk are far superior to her songs on Mirage and her songs on Tango take the cake.
Wow, I agree with ALL of this except I am confused about Love in Store. Do you have a recording of just Stevie singing it?
Old 10-16-2010, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
Only Over You: The only song of hers I truly despise. (Well, that and One More Night). The moment she begins with, "I'm out of my mind," I hit the skip button, wrote GypsySorcerer.

Haha- reminds me of a funny thread a year or more ago- so many of us seemed to have cringed at Christine's 'I'm out of my mind' reading- and thought we were the only ones, and there were tons of us. The Ledge sure can make ya feel less lonely!
What is it about Christine singing that line? The inflection, I think, the sort of fluttery falsetto (or is it?), it's kind of like chalk on a blackboard! Somehow, from Christine it doesn't 'ring true' at all--
I'd totally believe Stevie singing 'I'm out of my mind'--
Christine's persona just seemed too 'cool, calm and collected' emotionally, or too stable, to pull that song off.
I think Miss Rock A Little with her Wild Heart would've been spellbinding on the vocal ...."People say I'm crazy..." Of course, they did!
I think it's a case of Christine having written a song that would have been great had Stevie sung it! (I'm out of my mind, well, baby, and its only, you know, over-over you- I'm still out of my mind, baby, well, well well, still I am out...of my mind, baby, and it's only over you!)
I agree it has 'Stevie' lyrics, but I always took it as Chris saying 'Look, this isn't usually me, but I'm so in love with this person that I feel that way this time around. Still, don't think I'll let him treat me badly, I may be totally in love, "but I'm not a fool".'
Old 10-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
I agree it has 'Stevie' lyrics, but I always took it as Chris saying 'Look, this isn't usually me, but I'm so in love with this person that I feel that way this time around. Still, don't think I'll let him treat me badly, I may be totally in love, "but I'm not a fool".'
Actually, Christine's lyrics always have her being overcome by love and loss. Her lyrics are more dependent than she actually is. She is often passive in love, used, lyrically. Whether she is usually "out of her mind" is a different story, but I always loved the song. I don't see the difference between being out of her mind and over her head.

Being an Ozzie and Harriet collector, I always loved it that Kristen Nelson Tinker (Rick Nelson's ex) named her book "Out of My Mind." It wasn't a nod to Christine, but it always reminded me of that song.

Michele
Old 10-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Wow, I agree with ALL of this except I am confused about Love in Store. Do you have a recording of just Stevie singing it?
OH how I wish I did! But alas, I do not. However, in the ever amazing Rolling Stone video of her singing Wild Heart, she starts singing Love In Store and then goes into Wild Heart. She doesn't sing much of it, but what she does sing has always made me long for a full version of her singing it!

Love In Store is within the first 52 seconds..

Old 10-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Something about Stevie singing abit of a Christine song just makes my heart warm.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by APerfectLie View Post
OH how I wish I did! But alas, I do not. However, in the ever amazing Rolling Stone video of her singing Wild Heart, she starts singing Love In Store and then goes into Wild Heart. She doesn't sing much of it, but what she does sing has always made me long for a full version of her singing it!

Love In Store is within the first 52 seconds..

You are right again. It even sounded better with Lori's harmony, dontcha think?
Old 10-17-2010, 10:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Sounds definitely better with Christine in the lead.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've only heard it in MP3 form, but has anyone ever heard Christine sing Rhiannon? It's from Rumours rehearsals and it's hilarious (in fact, at one point, she makes fun of the end by saying "Dreams unwind, etc. etc.")

You can add me on Facebook
Old 10-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I don't see the difference between being out of her mind and over her head.
Michele

Oh, there's a difference! Having been both, I would know!
You are so wise and level-headed, Michelej1! It's not that I disagree with you- from a logical and mentally healthy person's perspective, 'out of my mind' and 'over my head' would seem similar!
Oh, but no, very different
"Out of my mind" would require a totally different med than 'over my head' which a valium or xanax- or a glass of wine, would help.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
You are right again. It even sounded better with Lori's harmony, dontcha think?
Yes!

(10char)
Old 10-19-2010, 12:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
Oh, there's a difference! Having been both, I would know!
You are so wise and level-headed, Michelej1! It's not that I disagree with you- from a logical and mentally healthy person's perspective, 'out of my mind' and 'over my head' would seem similar!
Oh, but no, very different
"Out of my mind" would require a totally different med than 'over my head' which a valium or xanax- or a glass of wine, would help.
Nice. Now, that you mention it, I see the distinction between needing a valium and needing counseling!

From a realistic point of view, "over my head" just means overwhelmed, in too deep and is very different from being a little crazy. So, in real life, it really does matter. Lyric wise, I always thought of them as the same.

Michele
Old 02-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi! After a few days listening to Mirage, I suppose I could write about all the songs! I start with Christine's songs, one by one...

1. Love in Store. Beautiful, nice way to start the album. I really like the backing vocals of Stevie (like a duet in some parts) and Lindsey (so strong!). Nice to see it in some compilations!
2. Only Over You. Amazing. Christine's style in its best moment. A big ballad, with beautiful harmonies and her unique voice...
3. Hold Me. I know she wrote it with another guy (I don't remember now his name), so I'll put here. Is a nice song, I made all the posible to build an instrumental version to song it myself, and I found that bass, guitar and drums are really good!
4. Wish You Were Here. As I said with the first, I can say the same with the last. Incredible way to finish an album. A quiet song, emotional end with guitar and piano mixed.

So, that's all folks! Regards!!
Old 02-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=ryan4136;914685]

Hold Me---probably nearly everyones favorite, not just for CM, but for the Mac on this album. Great upbeat song, one of the best duets you'll find in pop music. JM's bass in this song doesn't get the credit it deserves, the transitions seem flawless here. I'm always left wanting to press repeat, but I can't help but feeling that it could've used another verse...2 minutes of Hold Me, Hold Me etc.....I get it...I'll hold you.
QUOTE]

hahaha this is great
Old 02-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLoki View Post
I've only heard it in MP3 form, but has anyone ever heard Christine sing Rhiannon? It's from Rumours rehearsals and it's hilarious (in fact, at one point, she makes fun of the end by saying "Dreams unwind, etc. etc.")
Would anyone be willing to post the link to this?
Old 02-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Love In Store- Not one of my favorites, but I do enjoy listening to this one. it sets the tone for the record, and the harmonies are really well defined here.
Only Over You- The guitar in this is really beautiful, but the melody and lyrics quickly become monotonous.
Hold Me- Adds some much-needed energy. Love it! I am obsessed with the video for this, it's hilarious.
Wish You Were Here- This is a good way to close the record. I like the line "because I feel like a child tonight." This is probably my second favorite Christine song on Mirage.