The Cruzados (1987)
No opening act in 1990
Roger McGuinn (ex-Byrds) (1994)
No opening act in 1997 or 2003

Acts that I've seen Fleetwood Mac open FOR:

Loggins & Messina (1975)
Rod Stewart & Faces (1975)
Dave Mason Band (1976)

If there is an opening act, PLEASE get there early and support them. Of all the concerts I've been to, I've discovered some great music by being there early to watch the opening band(s). There've been LESS than a handful of concerts where the opening act has been just terrible. Of the over 200 concerts I've seen, maybe less than FIVE have had an opening act that I didn't like.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Danny Douma (1979)
Plus you saw Christopher Cross open in 1980 -- not memorable save for an appearance by Nicolette Larson, who sang that wonderfully plaintive tune "Lotta Love."

Quote:
No opening act in 1990
Didn't you see Squeeze open for Mac in 1990 at Irvine Meadows in June?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-14-2009, 05:15 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If there is an opening act, PLEASE get there early and support them. Of all the concerts I've been to, I've discovered some great music by being there early to watch the opening band(s). There've been LESS than a handful of concerts where the opening act has been just terrible. Of the over 200 concerts I've seen, maybe less than FIVE have had an opening act that I didn't like.
This. I've found some of my current favorite bands because they opened for bands that I went to see headline. I won't lie, it's not always an appealing thought to wait through a band you don't particularly want to see while waiting for the band you DO want to see, but a lot of the time, it's worth it and I've ended up pleasantly surprised way more times than not. This past tour, my favorite band had two openers and a co-headliner and I ended up loving all three! Not only that, but I've been on the other end where the person I love is opening for someone else and know that a supportive audience really helps make that person's set more enjoyable.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Ledgie

I don't like support acts for FM and I'm annoyed the Australian promoter has chosen to do this when US and Europe didn't. If Silver Springs gets dropped because the concert runs over there will be a lot of very pissed-off fans!
Old 11-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
I don't like support acts for FM and I'm annoyed the Australian promoter has chosen to do this when US and Europe didn't. If Silver Springs gets dropped because the concert runs over there will be a lot of very pissed-off fans!
I don't blame you for worrying. Sorry folks, but I have no use for opening acts at this stage of the game. Years ago, now that's another story. In 1980 I saw The Little River Band and Heart open up for The Eagles. Both of those bands were better than the headliner.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:14 PM
trackaghost
Old 11-15-2009, 12:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
You guys bitching about support acts must never go to concerts because it's a pretty standard thing on the whole.
You're right Sharon, but I make it a point to skip the opening act unless I am familiar with their music. Even for Stevie and FM I'm usually running into the arena at the last minute anyways. And in my stoner days I was out in the parking lot puffing away during the opening act of any band I had paid to see.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:40 AM
trackaghost
Old 11-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
That said, I've discovered some amazing bands through support slots. I mean, let's not forget Fleetwood Mac have been a support band in the past, even Fritz, as Stevie reminds us every concert, started out as the opening band for people like Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin.
I think the nature of the support acts in the FM world has changed from, say, thirty years ago to fifteen/twenty years ago up to the present.

Back when Mac was super-big & even Stevie Nicks was super-big, the support acts were usually bands or singers with current or former hit singles anyway: Kenny Loggins, Bob Welch, Christopher Cross, Men at Work, John Stewart, Joe Walsh, Peter Frampton, Michael McDonald, Boz Scaggs, Glenn Frey, Zombies, Squeeze &c.

But later on, most of the support acts were unknowns or little-knowns: Darden Smith in 1994, the guy in 1991. And now Fleetwood & Stevie & Lindsey all play most of the time without any support act.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-15-2009, 12:15 PM
trackaghost
Old 11-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Plus you saw Christopher Cross open in 1980 -- not memorable save for an appearance by Nicolette Larson, who sang that wonderfully plaintive tune "Lotta Love."

Didn't you see Squeeze open for Mac in 1990 at Irvine Meadows in June?
Ahhh...yes...Christoper Cross. I was walking in the Hollywood Bowl when he was singing "Sailing"...I think Nicolette came on after that...then he was full on into his set closer "Ride Like The Wind" by the time I got to my seat. (My one & only "limo ride concert"...almost missed CC due to "extra curricular backseat activities" on the way there...ooops! "TMI".... )

Oh, and let's not forget the late Peter Ivers at the Universal Amphitheatre show in the summer of '76. (when they debuted "You Make Loving Fun")

No, I didn't make that Irvine Meadows show...too bad, too, some of the "Skies The Limit" video footage was taken there that night (although a majority of the video footage is from Red Rocks in Colorado).
Old 11-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ahhh...yes...Christoper Cross. I was walking in the Hollywood Bowl when he was singing "Sailing"...I think Nicolette came on after that...then he was full on into his set closer "Ride Like The Wind" by the time I got to my seat.
Steve, check in with me & let me know how things are doing. I don't have your new e-mail address. Are you practicing piano today? I'm practicing.

moviekinks.blogspot.com