The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So, he thinks Without Love is about him and, I guess, he remembers all songs that are about him.

Her short story long is great.

Thanks for putting it up.

Michele
Old 03-19-2014, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

24.09.2013 - London

Song

Intro

Download

1. http://www.mediafire.com/download/e6....13_(5.41).mp4 [05.41 mins, 14MB]

What Was Said

S: Okay, so in the beginning Lindsey and I lived in San Francisco. In 1971 or 2 – somewhere around there – we decided to go to Los Angeles. But before that, I wrote a poem. And it was probably – We’d been going out for awhile and, not for very long, I think, a small amount of time, and I wrote a very beautiful poem – if I do say so myself – about Lindsey and I. Mostly about him. And it was probably and is and remains to this day the nicest thing that I ever wrote about him or the two of us or our relationship. So this is a very critical poem. The poem went in the pocket and in the drawer next to the bed or somewhere. And then Lindsey and I hopped in our car, his car – I think it was your car. I had a car too but...

L: ???

S: Did we drive separately? *laughs*

L: ??? Toyota (?)

S: I had a Toyota. Looked like a Rolls Royce. Not really but I thought it did. Okay, so we drive down to Los Angeles and move in with our producer Keith and, cos obviously we had no money. So poem in hand – I never put the poem to music. So we record the Buckingham Nicks album and it’s great. I know. And then they drop the Buckingham Nicks album, Polydor Records. *sarcastically* Thank you so much, Polydor. And the poem somehow, after the Buckingham Nicks album got dropped, was put to music and became this really beautiful song. And then it was put on cassette and then I think was kinda lost in the couch and somebody – One of our sleazy friends, probably - we didn’t have that many friends so we could probably trace them down – either took it or borrowed it and probably re-recorded it from cassette to cassette and then brought it back and put it back in the couch. And then Lindsey and I found it and then we lost it again. So the song was, for a long time, gone. Years and years later, a hundred years later, in 2010, some friends of mine came up to me and said “We’ve found this great song.” On guess what? YouTube. I don’t have a computer and I don’t YouTube. I’m like “Are you kidding?!” ??? So they play it for me and I’m like “the song that was lost twice”. So I play it for Lindsey and I go “Do you remember this song?” and he’s like “Yeah. Yeah, I do. I mean, I’m playing the fantastic guitar part.” And I said “Okay, so what do you think? We should record this for Fleetwood Mac, we should record it.” This was like last year. And so we did. We went to his house and we recorded this song. Okay, here’s where I usually get lost but not tonight! *makes almost screechy noises* So Mick Fleetwood told me “Don’t forget to remind the audience-” Am I on track? I think I’m on track.

L: I think you are.

S: He says “Don’t forget to tell the audiences that this song, the way you sing, the way Lindsey sings, the way he plays guitar, you guys are in counterpoint and that’s what makes you really special.” And I agree. That is what makes us really special. And he said “Don’t forget to tell the audience that this is what attracted me to you guys when I first met you and heard your music.” So I said “Okay, thank you. Thank you, Mick.” Then we go on the road and I tell this story pretty much how I’m doing it now except it’s a little longer. And I said, I was telling this every night and one night Lindsey said “But no! That was not what Mick Fleetwood was attracted to.” And I’m like *pauses* “Oh, well, then what was he attracted to?” And he goes “They needed, if you remember, they were looking for a smokin’ hot lead guitar player!” And I’m like “Oh! That’s right!” It’s all his fault, your fault. So I realised of course that he was totally right and in my little girl’s head (?) I go back and that’s what they were looking for. And nowhere in the words of ‘guitar player’ does it say ‘and his hippie girlfriend’.

L: Did I say that? (???)

S: Exactly. I think you did. You said ‘they don’t want you’.

L: I didn’t say that!

S: I know! (???) What did you say? Jump in.

L: No, no, I just said, uh, well I mean, Mick heard my guitar playing and a couple of weeks later called me up and said “Lindsey, would you like to join Fleetwood Mac?” Right? And I said “Well, Mick, if you take me, you gotta take my girlfriend too!” But it worked out.

S: It did work out. And out of that whole really long story that you’ll probably never forget til the day you die but I hope the day you die, you do think of this story because [video ends]

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 03-20-2014, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

25.09.2013 - London

Song

???

Intro

Download

1. http://www.mediafire.com/download/zq....13_(8.06).mp4 [08.06 minutes, 22MB]

What Was Said

S: ...song got lost and found again and it started out in the States to be like a three minute story and then over 47 different nights it turned into a like 10 minute story. So I tried to shorten it but every time I try and shorten the story – it’s like a snake, it gets longer. So I’m going to try again

M: No. (???)

S: *looks over at Mick* Thank you, Mick. Thank you, Mick. He doesn’t mean it. I’m going to try to not shorten it, Mick, but, y’know, put it in the confines of we could do three more songs. Um, anyway, so at the beginning of Lindsey’s and my’s relationship, we had already been working together for a couple of years but this was 1971, 1972 and we lived in San Francisco. I was already writing songs for a long time so I wrote a poem and, um, it was probably the nicest, the most loving, the most absolutely non ego-ed out poem I have ever written about anyone and it was written about Lindsey and therefore somewhat about me. So this poem didn’t get put to music right away; it got either put in, it got put in my jeans or it got put, y’know, under the – I don’t know, it got dropped somewhere. Anyway, I found it again right before we moved to Los Angeles. So we hopped in the car and drove down to LA, poem in hand, and somehow it didn’t really get put to music when we got to LA either. So, but it was always kind of in my head. So we practiced, we do the Buckingham Nicks album. Buckingham Nicks album gets dropped. Horrible experience. Um, so we were back to scratch. We were back to the very beginning.

So I pull out the poem that’s been just laying around for three years and I, uh, put it to music. And I’m laughing because only one other time I actually said to Lindsey “I don’t think I can play this good so you must’ve helped me put it to music because I’m not that good on guitar.” Anywayyy, the song ended up to be this amazing song and it was really about the very beginning of where he and I came from. And so I said “Well, guess what? Some friends of mine just came to me and said that they found our missing song on –oh, yes, you guessed it – YouTube.” Duh. I’m not on, I don’t have a computer or Facebook or Spaceface or anything so ??? like that. So they’re like “Look at this!” and I’m like *puts hands up* “Shhh-!” I’m not swearing, I’m going “Oh my god, my missing song is found.” So I show Lindsey and I go “Can you believe it? It’s back.” And he says “Well, yeah, okay, where’s it been?” And “I don’t know, I thought it got lost.” It got lost once. We think a friend of ours - *sarcastically* a friend – stole it and then copied it and then put it back and then he and I lost it. So it was lost twice. So when it was found I said “Let’s record it!” So at the end of last year we went to Lindsey’s house and we recorded it. And it came out great. We recorded it exactly as we had recorded it when it was written in probably 1974. And so Mick said to me – this is where the whole story came from – he said “Don’t forget to tell the audience that this is one of the things that attracted me to you and Lindsey was the way you guys sing to the way that Lindsey plays.” Cos we sing almost in counterpoint to the way he plays. I think that’s what makes us special and Mick agrees. So Mick said to remind the audience of that and I said – *laughs* Lindsey, are you sweating? *laughs*

L: Yeah, I’m getting nervous up here.

S: I know you are! Okay, so, back to the story. So, anyway, *Lindsey mops brow with sweat towel* um, I said “Okay”. So we go on the road and we have our little EP in hand and it’s very similar to what we did in 1974. And so I’m telling the story and I’m going “...that was what attracted Mick Fleetwood to Lindsey and Stevie.” And Lindsey let me tell this story for probably, oh, a week, maybe ten days and all of a sudden, one night I’m going “...and that was what attracted Mick” and Lindsey goes “But no!” You think I should have done Shakespearean actress, don’t you? I’m in the right place. I said “What do you mean ‘but no!’?” And he says “because that’s not true. What attracted Mick Fleetwood to you and me was not *laughs* basically was not you. It was me.” Him. And he said “They needed a guitar player. Their guitar player had just quit and they needed a guitar player.” And I’m thinking ‘he’s totally right.’ They needed a smokin’ hot, fantastic lead guitarist. Nowhere in those words did it mention ‘and his hippie girlfriend’. Okay, Lindsey, take it!

L: What do you want me to say?

S: Jump in.

L: Jump in?

S: Jump in.

L: Uhhhhhhh –

S: *prompting* So...

L: So. Sure. Uh, well, yeah, I can say what I remember about how that went down. Which was just very simply that Mick did hear my guitar playing in the studio one day and then a couple of weeks later called me up and he said “Lindsey, would you like to join Fleetwood Mac?” And I said – because I loved you so much *gives thumbs up* - I said “Well, Mick, if you take me, you gotta take my girlfriend too!”

S: We’re having a moment. (???)

L: And where did that get me?

S: No! You did not just say thaaaat!!! *Lindsey hides behind Mick* Alright, what happened was – you hide behind Mick! Mick, just hit him with the stick. So, now you know the story. And what happened was, was this wonderful song , as most wonderful songs that get lost, it did resurface and we are going to play it for you and it is just as it was in 1974. And I, I want to thank Lindsey Buckingham for actually taking me with him into Fleetwood Mac because he didn’t have to. And Lindsey, I appreciate that. I will always appreciate it. *Lindsey blows Stevie multiple kisses*

L: Well I, I think it was our destiny.

S: It was our destiny. *Lindsey nods* Our destiny took a, like a right turn. And he knew I didn’t want to be a waitress anymore and he went with that too. And Mick, thank you for inviting us to be in Fleetwood Mac. And John McVie, thank you for inviting us to be in Fleetwood Mac. Johnny Mac! So with all that long story being said, this is it. It’s called Without You. Just as it was in 1974.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"