User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-07-2023, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post

I've always assumed that Fleetwood Mac needed Buckingham & Nicks to break through. I now think it might be the other way around.
These past few months I’ve been listening a lot to HEROES. It’s remarkable how polished the core trio sounds through the entire album. You could play the entire set of songs just isolating the drums-bass-keyboards and hear a distinctive SOUND. Even a debatably “lesser” album track like “Born Enchanter” impressed: it plays like an Otis Span blues with a definite jazz swing.

“She’s Changing Me” is a bit of non-derivative Eagles-So Cal rock, before Blue Letter.

And “Bad Loser” paves the way for the driving blues-rock extrapolation that was World Turning.

FM knew what they were and what they wanted. They just needed a bit more market appeal, of which BN, once they settled into the band, could easily provide.
Old 10-08-2023, 12:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
You could play the entire set of songs just isolating the drums-bass-keyboards and hear a distinctive SOUND.

FM knew what they were and what they wanted. They just needed a bit more market appeal, of which BN, once they settled into the band, could easily provide.
You can even kind of hear it as early as Mr. Wonderful (especially “Rollin’ Man”).

Bob Welch’s strength was also his weakness. He was a weird looking, not mainstream musician. Even his poppy love songs had intellectual lyrics. But, it was his Carlos Castaneda-inspired jazz-soul-funk that stood out. It made for compelling music that holds up, but it had a ceiling as far as commercial potential went.

Christine was Christine. Stevie and Lindsey completed a mainstream pop package. They had the look, the sound, and the pop songs that complimented what Christine had already been doing. Furthermore, they believed they’d be rock songs, which Bob really didn’t. That gave Fleetwood Mac five people who thought it was possible and believed they were going to do it.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 10-08-2023 at 12:17 AM..
Old 10-08-2023, 01:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
What is the name of the Stevie Nicks song that begins at 32:00? It is somewhat reminiscent of what would later become "Silver Springs".

I've always assumed that Fleetwood Mac needed Buckingham & Nicks to break through. I now think it might be the other way around.
The music of that song is incredibly catchy!

The beauty of the Rumours 5 for me was that they needed each other. I truly believe that their success hinged on each member, especially the three songwriters. Without even one, I truly don’t believe they would have had the success they had.
Old 10-08-2023, 08:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, Mick mentions it while telling about the BN farewell tour.

At the last show, Lindsey announced that they were joining Fleetwood Mac, and the audience could only gape, silently. What, Lindsey Buckingham wondered, were they getting themselves into?
But their luck had turned.
Years later, Stevie confided: "We fell into the American Dream out of nowhere. We were just nowhere."
Old 10-08-2023, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Yes, Mick mentions it while telling about the BN farewell tour.

At the last show, Lindsey announced that they were joining Fleetwood Mac, and the audience could only gape, silently. What, Lindsey Buckingham wondered, were they getting themselves into?
But their luck had turned.
Years later, Stevie confided: "We fell into the American Dream out of nowhere. We were just nowhere."
Stevie said in the early 80s that they were better then then they were now. Do you remember the interview I think with Mary Turner where Stevie bashes the Rolling Stone review that calls her voice callow? This is the interview I am talking about. The interviewer says something like "but your voice is so unique" and Stevie tells the Rolling Stone story. But then she adds " We exactly did not get people falling out of their chairs telling us how good we were before we joined Fleetwood Mac. But we were better then than we are now because we worked and practiced every day.'
Granted Stevie was projecting a bit because she was ditching recording for partying in those days. But you could sense the resentment in her voice that joining Fleetwood Mac had people falling out of their chairs telling them how good they were.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-08-2023 at 02:53 PM..
Old 10-09-2023, 04:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rumours is considered one of the best albums of all time. This concert gives glimpses into that album and actually includes a song on Rumours. To hear these organic samples from that album is really incredible.
Old 10-09-2023, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
"We exactly did not get people falling out of their chairs telling us how good we were before we joined Fleetwood Mac. But we were better then than we are now because we worked and practiced every day.'
Granted Stevie was projecting a bit because she was ditching recording for partying in those days. But you could sense the resentment in her voice that joining Fleetwood Mac had people falling out of their chairs telling them how good they were.
That’s not how I read it.

I took it as her way of acknowledging that they worked harder as an entity back then and were tighter than what they became after joining Fleetwood Mac. They were able to have something cohesive. Joining Fleetwood Mac might have gotten them acclaim, it hurt how they functioned as an entity. They fractured and it kept getting worse over time.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-10-2023, 01:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post

I took it as her way of acknowledging that they worked harder as an entity back then and were tighter than what they became after joining Fleetwood Mac. They were able to have something cohesive. Joining Fleetwood Mac might have gotten them acclaim, it hurt how they functioned as an entity. They fractured and it kept getting worse over time.
Cocaine and a love of the big D would've kept her from that anyway.
Old 10-10-2023, 03:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Cocaine and a love of the big D would've kept her from that anyway.
Dallas ??
I didn’t know Stevie liked Dallas particularly..
Old 10-10-2023, 07:52 AM

Quote:

That's how I read it, too. I think drugs, ego etc.. only fed all this.
Old 10-10-2023, 09:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

We seem to say the same thing yet you say you disagree with me all the time. What you said is exactly how I took it. She definitely thought they were tighter and worked harder in those days.
If you hear the interview you can sense resentment in her voice about people suddenly falling out of their chairs at them today when they were just as good before joining Fleetwood Mac.
What are you thinking I am saying?
Old 10-11-2023, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
We seem to say the same thing yet you say you disagree with me all the time. What you said is exactly how I took it. She definitely thought they were tighter and worked harder in those days.
If you hear the interview you can sense resentment in her voice about people suddenly falling out of their chairs at them today when they were just as good before joining Fleetwood Mac.
What are you thinking I am saying?
It read to me like you were saying Stevie thought Buckingham Nicks were better than Fleetwood Mac, whereas I read it as she thought she and Lindsey were better as an entity when they were Buckingham Nicks because they worked together every day. I’m sure Stevie resented people not falling out of their seats sooner, just as I think Mick and Christine felt vindicated for all of their years of recording and touring (John seemed to resent the “overnight success” narrative).

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-11-2023, 05:36 PM

Quote:
It read to me like you were saying Stevie thought Buckingham Nicks were better than Fleetwood Mac, whereas I read it as she thought she and Lindsey were better as an entity when they were Buckingham Nicks because they worked together every day. I’m sure Stevie resented people not falling out of their seats sooner, just as I think Mick and Christine felt vindicated for all of their years of recording and touring (John seemed to resent the “overnight success” narrative).
From most of the Stevie interviews I've listened to. I always felt the sentiment from her: "Thank God, we joined this band." and sort of, "we needed help." And I think LB resented that notion because, he wanted FULL control of the music direction and concept. He didn't want to deal with another singer or writer. Until, World Turning. And then I think he realized there was an opportunity for him to be in a great band.

However, I don't think he fully appreciated it until The Dance thru BuckVie era.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 10-11-2023 at 05:39 PM..
Old 10-11-2023, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
From most of the Stevie interviews I've listened to. I always felt the sentiment from her: "Thank God, we joined this band." and sort of, "we needed help." And I think LB resented that notion because, he wanted FULL control of the music direction and concept. He didn't want to deal with another singer or writer. Until, World Turning. And then I think he realized there was an opportunity for him to be in a great band.

However, I don't think he fully appreciated it until The Dance thru BuckVie era.
I always got the impression he resented joining and being in Fleetwood Mac. OOTC tanking, having his 1995 album rejected, and having Rob Cavallo stuck on him by the label humbled him. However, I also think the success of The Dance surprised him and I think he realized the only way he was doing arenas was with Fleetwood Mac.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-11-2023, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I always got the impression he resented joining and being in Fleetwood Mac. OOTC tanking, having his 1995 album rejected, and having Rob Cavallo stuck on him by the label humbled him. However, I also think the success of The Dance surprised him and I think he realized the only way he was doing arenas was with Fleetwood Mac.
Yea.... ^^ that too. He was going with FM because when the teat is that large, everybody gets in line. But, by Mirage, he was so completely over FM. And over Stevie's antics and addictions. I think he does now realize what the Brits did for him.