The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-17-2023, 11:51 AM

Default Hold Me Pop Charts

Hold Me just 5 weeks on the chart was already at #6. The competition was really stiff. I wished this had been a #1 song. I love Hold Me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hold me.JPG (88.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 07-17-2023, 12:04 PM
Senior Ledgie

And it spent seven weeks at #4. It had a lot of stiff competition at the top of the chart, although "Hold Me" is better than all of those songs in my opinion. "Hurts So Good" and "Abracadabra" are very middle of the road, and I have mixed feelings about "Eye of the Tiger". "Rosanna" and "Don't You Want Me" are pop bangers.
Old 07-17-2023, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Hold Me just 5 weeks on the chart was already at #6. The competition was really stiff. I wished this had been a #1 song. I love Hold Me.
At one of my happy hour bars, they have Greatest Hits on the jukebox. Every time I play Hold Me, I always see people looking around,..... who TF played this?

I also play Tusk every time, and people have told me that they know I'm hiding in the bar somewhere, because I'm the ONLY one who plays it.
Old 07-17-2023, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I have posted this before but for weeks on chart and most weeks in the top 10 (if that is your calculation of a pop hit) then Hold Me is the Mac's biggest hit. Dreams raced to #1 and then fell rather swiftly. It was only in the top 10 for a few weeks. Hold me was at #4 for 7 weeks which is longer than Dreams was in the top 10. It was blocked by the #1 spot by Eye of the Tiger and Abracadabra. Hurts So Good was also locked at #2 and spent 16 weeks in the top 10. So in ways it blocked Hold Me's rise. BTW, Hurts So Good still holds the record for most weeks in the top 10.
Hold Me raced up the chart with a bullet and got locked within the top 5 for 2 months. I think it it was released a month earlier it would have easily been a #1 song.
One last statistic: Hold Me finished 1982 as a bigger hit than Dreams did in 1977 (weeks on the chart).
Old 07-17-2023, 03:37 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Hurts So Good was also locked at #2 and spent 16 weeks in the top 10. So in ways it blocked Hold Me's rise. BTW, Hurts So Good still holds the record for most weeks in the top 10.
Hold Me raced up the chart with a bullet and got locked within the top 5 for 2 months. I think it it was released a month earlier it would have easily been a #1 song.
One last statistic: Hold Me finished 1982 as a bigger hit than Dreams did in 1977 (weeks on the chart).
Other songs such as Santana's Smooth have since surpassed Hurts so Good for most weeks in the top 10 (it lodged at least 30), although it's important to keep in mind that Billboard has changed its methodology since 1982 for calculating chart peaks (the introduction of streaming is one prime example of this). In general, songs tend to spend a much longer time on the charts now compared to the 1980s. songs tend to last a lot longer in the top 10 now than the 1980s. For example, Sisters of the Moon peaked at #86 in 1980, notching only three weeks on the Billboard Hot 100. Fast forward to 2003, and Peacekeeper lodged 11 weeks in the Hot 100 despite only peaking 6 positions higher than Sisters of the Moon.
Old 07-17-2023, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I have posted this before but for weeks on chart and most weeks in the top 10 (if that is your calculation of a pop hit) then Hold Me is the Mac's biggest hit. Dreams raced to #1 and then fell rather swiftly. It was only in the top 10 for a few weeks. Hold me was at #4 for 7 weeks which is longer than Dreams was in the top 10. It was blocked by the #1 spot by Eye of the Tiger and Abracadabra. Hurts So Good was also locked at #2 and spent 16 weeks in the top 10. So in ways it blocked Hold Me's rise. BTW, Hurts So Good still holds the record for most weeks in the top 10.

I do remember you posting this at some point. Someone posted this chart on FB which made me think.. "Whoa! this hit climbed fast."

Hold Me is really a special song. Not just because it's mainly BuckVie, but, because it's Fleetwood Mac. doing Fleetwood Mac.
Anyone know where it entered? At what number?
Old 07-17-2023, 04:10 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Anyone know where it entered? At what number?
"Hold Me" debuted within the top 40 at #33, which is unusually high even compared to songs that eventually hit #1.

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/1982-06-19/
Old 07-17-2023, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post
Other songs such as Santana's Smooth have since surpassed Hurts so Good for most weeks in the top 10 (it lodged at least 30), although it's important to keep in mind that Billboard has changed its methodology since 1982 for calculating chart peaks (the introduction of streaming is one prime example of this). In general, songs tend to spend a much longer time on the charts now compared to the 1980s. songs tend to last a lot longer in the top 10 now than the 1980s. For example, Sisters of the Moon peaked at #86 in 1980, notching only three weeks on the Billboard Hot 100. Fast forward to 2003, and Peacekeeper lodged 11 weeks in the Hot 100 despite only peaking 6 positions higher than Sisters of the Moon.
You are correct. I misread the line. Hurts so good holds the record for most weeks in the top 10 in the 1980s (NOT OF ALL TIME).
Thank you for the correction

There was such a log jam of monster songs during this time.

There is an honest debate even with Foreigner fans. Waiting For A Girl Like you was at #2 for 9 weeks. Its one of the biggest hits of the entire 1980s's decade but it never reached #1. I want to know what love is reached #1 for a couple weeks. Which is the bigger hit? The record holder at #2 or the #1 song?

Speaking of Waiting For a Girl Like you. It peaked in January 1982 when Physical was #1. Both songs locked in place at the top of the charts for months also prevented Leather and Lace and Lindseys' Trouble from moving higher. Other monster hits like Centerfold and Young Turks bogged out just below those 2 making it impossible for Nicks and Buckingham to move higher.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-17-2023 at 04:52 PM..
Old 07-17-2023, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This is indeed VERY interesting. Who would have thought that, based on Billboard Chart staying power, "Hold Me" is Fleetwood Mac's biggest hit?

Until recently, "Hold Me" had been an overlooked, forgotten hit - absent from the set list for years. The "Mirage" album is an underrated gem.
Old 07-17-2023, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
This is indeed VERY interesting. Who would have thought that, based on Billboard Chart staying power, "Hold Me" is Fleetwood Mac's biggest hit?

Until recently, "Hold Me" had been an overlooked, forgotten hit - absent from the set list for years. The "Mirage" album is an underrated gem.
YMLF, ALAYF, and Hold Me Are my favorite singles. Just super good stuff.
Old 07-17-2023, 06:18 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

There is an honest debate even with Foreigner fans. Waiting For A Girl Like you was at #2 for 9 weeks. Its one of the biggest hits of the entire 1980s's decade but it never reached #1. I want to know what love is reached #1 for a couple weeks. Which is the bigger hit? The record holder at #2 or the #1 song?
I have a book by Fred Bronson titled [Billboard's Hottest Hot 100 Hits][/I] that attempts to quantify the biggest hits of the rock era by assigning a song points based on their chart run. A song earned 500 points for every week they were at the number 1 position, 400 points for every week at the number 2 position, 300 points for the number 3 position, 200 points for the number 4 position, 100 points for the number 5 position, 95 points for the number 6 position, 94 points for the number 7 position, and so on. This methodology rewards songs for both their chart peak and duration on the chart (ex. a song that peaks at #14 but stays on the Hot 100 for 15 weeks could still do better than a song that peaks at #8 but only stays in the Hot 100 for 7 weeks.

According to the book, "Waiting for a Girl Like You" is the 135th most successful song from the years 1955-2007. Meanwhile, "I Want to Know What Loves Is" ranks at #641.

If you're curious, I could also provide you with the top 30 most successful Fleetwood Mac songs on the Billboard Hot 100. The list includes Fleetwood Mac songs in addition to solo material from Christine McVie, Lindsey Buckingham, and Stevie Nicks, but not Bob Welch and Dave Mason, who would have otherwise had songs on the list had they been included.

Last edited by WalkAThinLine.; 07-17-2023 at 06:23 PM..
Old 07-17-2023, 09:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post

It also had a great video in heavy rotation on MTV. Who can forget discombobulated Stevie wandering the desert in her red suede boots
Old 07-18-2023, 05:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post
I have a book by Fred Bronson titled [Billboard's Hottest Hot 100 Hits][/I] that attempts to quantify the biggest hits of the rock era by assigning a song points based on their chart run. A song earned 500 points for every week they were at the number 1 position, 400 points for every week at the number 2 position, 300 points for the number 3 position, 200 points for the number 4 position, 100 points for the number 5 position, 95 points for the number 6 position, 94 points for the number 7 position, and so on. This methodology rewards songs for both their chart peak and duration on the chart (ex. a song that peaks at #14 but stays on the Hot 100 for 15 weeks could still do better than a song that peaks at #8 but only stays in the Hot 100 for 7 weeks.

According to the book, "Waiting for a Girl Like You" is the 135th most successful song from the years 1955-2007. Meanwhile, "I Want to Know What Loves Is" ranks at #641.

If you're curious, I could also provide you with the top 30 most successful Fleetwood Mac songs on the Billboard Hot 100. The list includes Fleetwood Mac songs in addition to solo material from Christine McVie, Lindsey Buckingham, and Stevie Nicks, but not Bob Welch and Dave Mason, who would have otherwise had songs on the list had they been included.
Yes if you take that formula and philosophy Hold Me is Fleetwood Mac's biggest hit. Dreams is their only #1. As I mentioned earlier, Foreigner has this debate too because you will always here that "I Want To Know What Love Is" was their biggest "hit" because it was #1 for a few weeks.
A #1 song gives bragging rights. Most dont care about weeks on charts.
One of the most fascinating chart stories is Paul Davis's, I Go Crazy. It spent over 9 months on the Billboard charts. It peaked only at #7 but slowly rose and then would not drop off the charts. It ended 1978 as the 12th biggest hit that year even though it never came close to the #1 spot. It was released in August 1977 but did not peak until April 1978. That's insane.

"I Go Crazy" is a song written, composed, and recorded by American singer-songwriter Paul Davis. It was the first single released from his 1977 album Singer of Songs: Teller of Tales, and his second-highest peaking pop hit, peaking at #7 on the Billboard chart in 1978. The song entered the Billboard US Hot 100 pop singles chart on 27 August 1977 and began slowly climbing, peaking in March and April 1978, before dropping off the chart the week after 27 May 1978. Overall, it spent 40 weeks (nine months and one week) on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, setting what was then the record for the longest run on that chart, of consecutive weeks or not

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-18-2023 at 08:18 AM..
Old 07-18-2023, 08:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I see the Motels in that chart. I loved their songs.
Old 07-18-2023, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I see the Motels in that chart. I loved their songs.
That Motels song is my favorite. I remember the video was in rotation, too.