User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-20-2023, 07:29 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
SYW platinum? Shirley, you jest. That thing's a turd clogging a toilet. I'd rather hear Dolly Parton fartin' Jolene on the terlet than hear SYW. I watch Destiny Rules every few years, when I'm having a bad day, just to remind myself that it all isn't so bad, in comparison.
It’s only cuz it went gold rather quickly
Old 10-20-2023, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonBielski View Post
It’s only cuz it went gold rather quickly
Gold turd.
Old 10-20-2023, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Gold turd.
I like about 1/2 of SYW. It definitely has some substance, though it lacks an acceptable narrative arc. The songs are just strung together without much thought to sequence. (By comparison, TUSK’s seeming randomness feels intentional—and effective.)

At the time, some critics panned Christine’s ITM by comparing it less favorably to SYW. 20 years later, Christine’s tuneful solo record holds up WAY better. There is a sense of progression in the sequence and a story threading through those songs. Plus, it sounds more like FM than FM did without her. In short, Christine was the central ingredient in FM.
Old 10-20-2023, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

CHRISTINE WAS THE BALANCE THAT MADE IT ALL WORK. I hope they never try to resurrect anything from the shards of what's left.
Old 10-21-2023, 05:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

The recent box set of the pre-Nicks albums should have spiked some of those numbers especially Mystery To Me. It would be great for its 50th anniversary to finally get an updated number. It would warm my heart to see it go platinum.
The Dance and the reinvigorated draw of the band spiked all album sales. Its what also dragged Stevie's OSOTM over the platinum line a few years later when her solo career started to pack the house again. Her Street Angel tour had her playing the Ohio Fair. Her second leg was never announced but was cancelled. The year of Enchanted one year post Dance had her packing arenas again. The sales numbers are so out of wack. In 2004 Chris's In The Meantime sold 50k copies. Not successful at all. However today that would be not too shabby. Did not Buck/Vie sell about 50k copies during its early release and debuted in the top 20. It just shows how things have changed so much.
What I have never seen official numbers on is Chris's 1984 solo album. I think it only reached about #26 on the charts and I don't think it went even gold in its debut year. I would think it went gold by now? However its something that we will never know. I have tried for years to find sales numbers on that album. It had some radio success like Law and Order but did not sell well. What are the numbers on Law and Order? There is only one interview (that was posted year about a year ago) was when Tango was just released and Chris was interviewed. She was asked about her solo album and she said that she needed to be honest that she was disappointed with the lack of success the album had. I think Lindsey expressed similar aspects about Law and Order. While they had a hit single and got recognized as a solo artist, the album did not sell or chart well which sort of irked both of them.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-21-2023 at 05:52 AM..
Old 10-21-2023, 07:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
The Dance and the reinvigorated draw of the band spiked all album sales. Its what also dragged Stevie's OSOTM over the platinum line a few years later when her solo career started to pack the house again. Her Street Angel tour had her playing the Ohio Fair. Her second leg was never announced but was cancelled. The year of Enchanted one year post Dance had her packing arenas again.
I read an article years ago about how state fairs were able to get more and more big name acts- it said that a state fair can pay more than a typical venue because the payout is not contingent on how many tickets are sold. In other words, a performer could make a million dollars for one show no matter how many (or how few) tickets are sold. I saw Stevie at the Ohio State fair… and before Covid I saw Dolly Parton there. Neither one of them were touring the state fair circuit LOL- for both of them, the Ohio State fair was just one stop on a lengthy tour.
Old 10-21-2023, 08:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I like about 1/2 of SYW.
I agree. Though actually I like 44% of the album.

I remember I read an article previous of the release date, commenting the expections of the new album. It said something like Fleetwood Mac has us used to good albums.... Unfortunately this was not the case. Obviously it couldn't be. Christine was not there.
Old 10-21-2023, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I read an article years ago about how state fairs were able to get more and more big name acts- it said that a state fair can pay more than a typical venue because the payout is not contingent on how many tickets are sold. In other words, a performer could make a million dollars for one show no matter how many (or how few) tickets are sold. I saw Stevie at the Ohio State fair… and before Covid I saw Dolly Parton there. Neither one of them were touring the state fair circuit LOL- for both of them, the Ohio State fair was just one stop on a lengthy tour.
Calm down
I was just stating things you already know. Street Angel was not successful and the tour was not hugely successful either. But she always draws a crowd. Her Timespace tour in the middle of a recession was not packing them in either. I was just saying that she once joked that she does not play state fairs. But she did. I am sure there was a good crowd there. But you are smart enough to know that fairs or amusement parks are a way of getting a bigger crowd rather than playing a separate venue. Chris did it on her solo tour too playing the Great Adventure Amusement Park in 1984.
I am sure you don't disagree with my point that the Dance restarted her solo career.
But maybe you do.
I am not bashing Stevie just stating the reality.

Going back to my earlier post about album sales. In those days that is how the artists made money. Chris had good taste and I am sure she spent good money to rent that famous studio in Switzerland and hire big guns like Eric Clapton. When its all said and done creatively it paid off but financially she may have broke even. Lindsey may not have spent as much but Law and Order barely cracked the top 40. Today no one cares about album sales if they can make big bucks off touring. But Chris and Lindsey could not do either... make big bucks of their early solo albums nor tour. It was all Stevie darling.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-21-2023 at 11:05 AM..
Old 10-21-2023, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh yeah, Stevie’s career was at her lowest point in 1994, I definitely agree. Street Angel was a disappointment and she wasn’t selling out shows. I guess I disagree that playing a state fair in and of itself was evidence her career was on the skids. I mean, Bob Dylan, Def Leppard, John Mellencamp, and many other big names have played at state fairs before, and they mostly toured venues as well. If it hadn’t been for the Dance, I really don’t think Stevie would have resurrected her career.
Old 10-21-2023, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I agree. Though actually I like 44% of the album.

I remember I read an article previous of the release date, commenting the expections of the new album. It said something like Fleetwood Mac has us used to good albums.... Unfortunately this was not the case. Obviously it couldn't be. Christine was not there.
What is good is very good, I think. It’s just not terribly band centered. Nick and John act like (very effective) studio musicians. And there isn’t much musical chemistry between the two leads.

Still: Everybody Finds Out, Say Goodbye, Red Rover, the title track, and Steal (with the five of them) are worthwhile. There are a few other good ones, too. But overall, the album is a slog. Compare its bloated form to the sleek BuckVie—and to the well-balanced ITM.
Old 10-22-2023, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Compare its bloated form to the sleek BuckVie—and to the well-balanced ITM.
The more I listen to, In The Meantime, I realize more and more just what the band had lost. It's heart and soul. And listening to SYW sounds like some random good music without a core, warmth, a concept, and a lot of ego and self indulgence.

Spot on, Tony.

PS, thank God for the spirit catcher!!! It could have been a disaster, otherwise.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 10-22-2023 at 02:47 PM..
Old 10-22-2023, 08:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
What are the numbers on Law and Order? There is only one interview (that was posted year about a year ago) was when Tango was just released and Chris was interviewed. She was asked about her solo album and she said that she needed to be honest that she was disappointed with the lack of success the album had. I think Lindsey expressed similar aspects about Law and Order. While they had a hit single and got recognized as a solo artist, the album did not sell or chart well which sort of irked both of them.
According to Lindsey in a 2018 interview with Stereogum, Law and Order and Go Insane each sold around 300,000 copies.

https://www.stereogum.com/2025688/li...ac/interviews/