Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:43 PM
Ledgie

Default So I'm Watching Red Rocks 1986

And I'm noticing what people say about the authenticity of it, did they film close ups later and splice them in? Her hair drastically changes from the wider shots to the close-ups. I've never seen this dvd, only listened to the audio.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillOfTheNight View Post
And I'm noticing what people say about the authenticity of it, did they film close ups later and splice them in? Her hair drastically changes from the wider shots to the close-ups. I've never seen this dvd, only listened to the audio.
yes they did. Apparently she wasn't looking too good close up during the actual show so they filmed the close ups in a studio at some point after the show and added them. I adore this show, flaws and all.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 10-21-2016, 02:53 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
yes they did. Apparently she wasn't looking too good close up during the actual show so they filmed the close ups in a studio at some point after the show and added them. I adore this show, flaws and all.
Haha, it's so noticeable it's comic to me. They whole concert reminds me of a music video rather than a live show. I'm enjoying it
Old 10-21-2016, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillOfTheNight View Post
Haha, it's so noticeable it's comic to me. They whole concert reminds me of a music video rather than a live show. I'm enjoying it
Yeah, that was the "artistic vision" back then. I wish they put out the entire show.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 10-21-2016, 05:53 PM
Senior Ledgie

It's why I don't like that video. Everything is fake. Stevie's voice is 90% overdubbed, the close-ups are re-done and it's just sad to watch Stevie being so completely out of it at that time in her life. The contrast with the BD concert is really shocking considering that only four and a half years had lapsed between the two. Also, I hate the way it was edited and made to feel like an MTV video, but you can't blame Stevie for that. That was just what everybody was doing at that time.

And don't get me started on Stevie's outfit and hair choices during the RAL tour...

Last edited by nicolasjz; 10-22-2016 at 12:43 AM..
Old 10-21-2016, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I think its a hot mess but when I first saw it in 1987 I was in awe and loved it. Its at the cheezy 80's peak. Mick and Peter Frampton look so stoned coming out of the limo at the beginning. The editing is horrible and I don't care for the set list. I remember watching it on TV in 1988 and my mom came in the room and said "wow did she put on weight...her face is so fat." It really was shocking to see. But how much of a mess do you look that you wont allow the public to see you live and up close. I also think she sounds horrible and drunk at the end of Stand Back "Stannnnnding in it....well you will be standin in it" It almost sounds like she does not know the music stopped.
But its the 80's and its Stevie so I love it I just hate the endless close ups. Its so annoying and like a video as someone already said.
Her scream at the end of Edge of 17 is like a demon possession with holy water. They showed THAT but not Stevie singing during other close ups. Just so freaking funny.
How about "Cream Cheese production" at the end?
It originally aired on Showtime because I remember how upset I was that we only had HBO.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-21-2016 at 07:03 PM..
Old 10-21-2016, 07:09 PM
Senior Ledgie

I just watched the beginning real quick and I did see it first in the late 80's. I never noticed that when "Dreams" started she almost missed the opening lyrics of the song. She ran so quick to the mic! I know Frampton was there and was he playing Bass? I'm glad that Stevie is in a better place now.....
Old 10-21-2016, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Peter Frampton was Stevie's opening act for the Rock a Little tour. I remember being excited when I saw the Showtime guide advertising the concert, and it mentioned "Special Guests Mick Fleetwood and Roger Daltrey," so I was surprised to see it was Peter Frampton. I have no idea if Daltrey had anything to do with the tour, like maybe he opened for a few of the dates or something. I mean, I doubt it, but that was such an odd mistake, saying Roger Daltrey when they meant Peter Frampton.

Showtime also aired the Fleetwood Mac Tango tour. But I remember a few months before Showtime aired it, MTV showed a sneak preview of the special, showing The Chain as it originally was filmed, without the refilmed Stevie close ups, interspersed with interviews from the band members. Anyone remember that?
Old 10-21-2016, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
But I remember a few months before Showtime aired it, MTV showed a sneak preview of the special, showing The Chain as it originally was filmed, without the refilmed Stevie close ups, interspersed with interviews from the band members. Anyone remember that?
YES!! I remember that. And i have that taped on a VHS tape somewhere in a box...somewhere!
Old 10-21-2016, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This show has alot of Hollywood post production magic and trickery like the Tango video.I wish they just tape the show like the HBO show.I have a dozens of the Showtime recorded version here somewhere plus the prerecorded VHS and later DVD copy too.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 10-22-2016, 04:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

One of the few times we do see a close up singing is at the end of Stand Back. I LOVE the time and the end of the song she sings "Stand Back" like she is a hissing cat. And then says.... "Its NOT alright." Its so horrible that its great
Also during No Spoken word...her words are tied up and she is almost speaking in tongues "in the pages of a book!"
I always felt so bad for the terrified dove at the end. Its so loud and so many people cheering its even afraid to fly.
That 80's big shiny belt buckle is funny though.
All the "singin it to ya's" during Edge of 17 are so freaking annoying

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-22-2016 at 04:54 AM..
Old 10-22-2016, 09:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
One of the few times we do see a close up singing is at the end of Stand Back. I LOVE the time and the end of the song she sings "Stand Back" like she is a hissing cat. And then says.... "Its NOT alright." Its so horrible that its great
Also during No Spoken word...her words are tied up and she is almost speaking in tongues "in the pages of a book!"
I always felt so bad for the terrified dove at the end. Its so loud and so many people cheering its even afraid to fly.
That 80's big shiny belt buckle is funny though.
All the "singin it to ya's" during Edge of 17 are so freaking annoying
I loved Red Rocks back when it first came out through the 90's. But then I was watching it with a friend who was in recovery and Edge came on. He sat there totally transfixed and at one point said something like, "I can hardly watch this. Addiction is a horrible thing". And it was like an Emperor's New Clothes moment. I loved Stevie so much I didn't really see what was wrong with a lot of it. We all talk about sex, drugs and rock n roll but there comes a time when it's too much. We can all look back and laugh and enjoy the good and the bad now because she's had such a wonderful second half of a career from the 90's on, a second half that Hendrix, Joplin and a bunch others never had the chance to. I remember seeing an article in People magazine around the time of The Dance where Stevie was talking about feeling so fortunate to be able to still have a career after the cocaine and the klonopin. I remember thinking "this is a very different woman from a few years ago" and it made me really happy.

Having said that, I recall reading a very detailed description posted here on the Ledge somewhere from the guy who either produced or edited Red Rocks. He was talking about how the footage was audio was so terrible because she was so strung out that they had to overdub the vocals and film the closeups and add all those visual effects to cover up what a mess she was. I think the end result is very entertaining, in it's own way. I always felt bad for that dove, though. It's really funny to watch her majestically try to get it to take flight and then just kind of give up. But did anyone notice as she's walking offstage and someone hands the dove back to her it tries to fly away and she kind of crushes it's wings back down so it can't. I can just imagine a roadie going "Stevie, let go of the bird... let GO of the BIRD"

Oh, and I do love the "It's not alright" at the end of Stand Back. I always add that when I'm singing a long. And I also really love the ending of I Need To Know with the "take your violet and blue mornings with you!!!"
Old 10-22-2016, 06:44 PM
Ledgie

Didn't Showtime air it in it's entirety without the special edits?
Old 10-22-2016, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2theox View Post
Didn't Showtime air it in it's entirety without the special edits?
I dont think so... only becuase I have it on VHS somewhere taped from showtime, and i believe it matched the official released VHS tape edit for edit.

BUT, i could be wrong. that was a LONG time ago!
Old 10-23-2016, 12:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

When Stevie launched her tour for IYD, the opening night was at Red Rocks. At some point during the show, I remember her talking about that Live at Red Rocks video, and saying something sarcastically about it being a highlight or shining moment of her career. She poked fun at herself and it was cute.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case