The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Good stuff for fans. And probably a good move by Stevie.

I have most of the songs on the original releases and Enchanted and so on. I am also very selective of what I would bother with from that era of Stevie. I adore her but really only savour a certain subcategory of her work. For example "rockers" like Gold and Brain or Enchanted or Violet and Blue make me tired. Much of Bella Donna too. Sorry. I know this is against the mainstream grain among fans. Just an opinion and not meant to criticize the tastes of others.

I would have vastly preferred a 24KG2 with fresh takes and new vocals. These re-master/re-releases keep us in the (shaky uneven production and song choices) 80's and likely indicate no new recordings are coming anytime soon.

Just my (really minority) view. On with the discussion, enjoy the re-releases.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Along with the uncirculated demos and outtakes that we haven't heard, I think I'm most excited by this...

“The liner notes are so much more than liner notes. They are like a little novel. I tried to make whoever reads this feel like they were there. I think I succeeded.”

Hopefully, she includes more previously uncirculated pictures from various photoshoots as well.

New pictures and new stories that go along with unheard older material is one of the major reasons I was obsessed with "Enchanted" when it was released...and the MAIN reason my obsession with this woman reached the levels that it did. HAha!
And
A fun story about "Enchanted." I, too, was crazy about the song, and could never understand why it wasn't released as a single. Last summer at lunch, I conveyed this to Paul Fishkin. He said that, at the time, Stevie wanted it as a single instead of "Nightbird." Paul just didn't hear it, and vetoed it down. Now, years later, he loves the song, and thinks they could have moved another million copies had they released it!������

Last edited by Fannymac; 10-04-2016 at 07:57 PM..
Old 10-04-2016, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannymac View Post
And
A fun story about "Enchanted." I, too, was crazy about the song, and could never understand why it wasn't released as a single. Last summer at lunch, I conveyed this to Paul Fishkin. He said that, at the time, Stevie wanted it as a single instead of "Nightbird." Paul just didn't hear it, and vetoed it down. Now, years later, he loves the song, and thinks they could have moved another million copies had they released it!������
Enchanted has great energy and can be infectious. Even if you don't particularly like it, I think as a record company you should always release a song with that uptempo just for the reaction it will get in concert from everyone who knows it due to the radio play. It makes you want to move around.

Michele
Old 10-04-2016, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
I'm so glad they finally got around to doing this. The omission of Julia isn't a complete surprise. Stevie probably still plans on doing something with it. I hope she does.

It sort of makes sense that "Sorcerer" was recorded for inclusion on The Wild Heart. Marilyn Martin recording it seems sort of random, unless Stevie tried it and either wasn't satisfied with it, Jimmy Iovine wasn't, or it just didn't fit on the album, and then they decided to let Marilyn record it.
I agree with you on "Julia". I believe that "Julia" is being saved for the next Fleetwood Mac studio album. I'm sure Fleetwood Mac has already worked on an unofficial arrangement in whatever studio they've been working in without Stevie.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Don't know if this has been mentioned - I'll go back and check shortly! - but does anyone else find it odd that "Julia" wasn't included in the bonus tracks? I mean, it was on the original version, with artwork done and everything! What could she be holding it for???
"Julia" is being held for the new Fleetwood Mac album. That's just my gut feeling.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And
Interesting story. I agree that "Enchanted" would have been a much better choice for the 3rd single from "Wild Heart". I think Stevie could have had another Top 20 hit.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
I agree with you on "Julia". I believe that "Julia" is being saved for the next Fleetwood Mac studio album. I'm sure Fleetwood Mac has already worked on an unofficial arrangement in whatever studio they've been working in without Stevie.
Given how personal the song is, it's hard for me to see her giving the song to FM.

But most importantly, ZOMG!!

This is just the most exciting and amazing and unexpected news.

Agreed that there's some thought here in including outtakes that fans have not previously heard. But I also think that Stevie's holding back some songs, given that she has repeatedly expressed a desire to release a second vault album.

Regardless, so long the live BD disc is taken from the masters, I'm happy.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've been hoping for some time that "Julia" will be recorded for the FM album. If Stevie allows it, Lindsey is capable of producing this to perfection. If done sympathetically, it could rival "Sara" in terms of lush orchestration and beauty. Stevie would really need to work on a pure vocal and Christine, in particular, could really contribute meaningfully to such a production.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm excited for these, but bummed we won't get Think About It or Blue Lamp on the live CD. If space on the CD was the issue, then leave off Edge of Seventeen and Gold and Braid, both of which were included on Enchanted. Just so frustrating to almost get them, you know.

With Wild Heart, I'm also disappointed there's not a live recording of I Will Run to You with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers on disc 2. I know they sang it live once. While I'm thrilled to finally get to hear Dial a Number, I'm confused why it's on the Wild Heart. I saw a small article in Rolling Stone in 1988 or 1989 where Stevie said Dial a Number was going to be on the Other Side of the Mirror. Guess she had the demo since Wild Heart. That article also mentioned a song called the Tragedy of One's Own Soul- anyone know anything about this song?

I wonder if these rereleases are why Stevie is planning to add Bella Donna and the Wild Heart to her new set list? Makes sense.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:20 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Along with the uncirculated demos and outtakes that we haven't heard, I think I'm most excited by this...

Hopefully, she includes more previously uncirculated pictures from various photoshoots as well.

New pictures and new stories that go along with unheard older material is one of the major reasons I was obsessed with "Enchanted" when it was released...and the MAIN reason my obsession with this woman reached the levels that it did. HAha!
I know what you mean about Enchanted. That was released at the exact right time for me, just as I was becoming an obsessive fan (not in a bad, stalky way) and just before I saw her live for the first (and so far the only) time. I got totally stuffed on Stevie.
Had I never got Enchanted, I'd never have discovered so many great lesser known stuff, including 'Sleeping Angel', which is now just slightly beating out 'Gypsy' as my very favorite Stevie song.

Anyway, as for the Bella Donna photoshoot, I agree, there ought to be everything they can get their hands on for the deluxe set's package, like these:

...plus some or all of the blue lamp photos, some session and some live '81 pictures too. This man demands eye candy!

"No one ever leaves, everyone stays close 'till the fire fades..."
Old 10-04-2016, 09:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I've been hoping for some time that "Julia" will be recorded for the FM album. If Stevie allows it, Lindsey is capable of producing this to perfection. If done sympathetically, it could rival "Sara" in terms of lush orchestration and beauty. Stevie would really need to work on a pure vocal and Christine, in particular, could really contribute meaningfully to such a production.
You are spot on!! I couldn't agree more. The lines "I do two things these days" and "I would suffer for the love" are perfect for Fleetwood Mac. Now that many of Stevie's old demos have been professionally recorded, "Julia" stands as her GREATEST song that has yet to be officially recorded and released. Chris could add some wonderful harmonies to "Julia". Let's just mail this demo in a little black envelope to The Mac so they can't start working on an arrangement.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't understand this. Julia AND Sanctuary are left off. There could have been outtakes to include and still have them on 24 Karat Gold. By the way = she has no label now or any commitment to record. I would love bringing these to the new Fleetwood Mac record
Old 10-04-2016, 11:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I know it's unrealistic of me but I would have loved these albums to get the 'super deluxe treatment' that Rumours, Tusk and Mirage have had bestowed upon them.
In a perfect world, right? That would have been amazing to get a four or five disc set per album, including a 5.1 remaster DVD audio.

Sadly, Stevie's popularity from her solo career just isn't in the same realm of Fleetwood Mac. It makes sense that these (almost $100) Deluxe boxed sets of Rumours, Tusk and Mirage were produced. Fleetwood Mac (as a band) are as iconic these days as The Beatles, Led Zepplin, Queen, Pink Floyd and The Rolling Stones. All those bands have pretty much received the Deluxe treatment with their back catalogs. The label is going to produce them because they know people will buy them. Not just fanatics, but casual fans as well. And ESPECIALLY twenty and thirty-something hipsters who still buy vinyl and physical copies of albums.

Extensive boxed sets of Bella Donna and Wild Heart would be incredible. But it doesn't really surprise me that these aren't so extensive. I think we should be happy they're releasing these expanded editions in the first place. I'm really shocked that, at this point, it even happened at all. And I am OVERJOYED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
With Wild Heart, I'm also disappointed there's not a live recording of I Will Run to You with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers on disc 2. I know they sang it live once.
There's a reason it was only performed live one time - it sucked! LOL!
Old 10-04-2016, 11:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am so excited. This is my first post here after lurking for a long time but one thing that makes this news so fun is it proves we have no clue what SN has up her sleeves. Just two days ago we had no idea this bombshell would drop.. a few months ago we had no idea about the tour with the Pretenders. What could be next?! Love it.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is a small miracle and Stevie has been listening to her fans.

One thing is clear, Stevie is not done with Julia. If she put it on this album she could never say it was unreleased. Expect 24k gold part 2.