The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love how excited she is! This is going to be a "magical" tour!

Crystallineknowledge
Dedicated to Stevie.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So many thoughts after reading this..

If she thinks that nobody buys records (love that she still uses that term) anymore, then it makes absolutely no sense to care if you have "product behind your tour" or not. So I don't know why she feels like she can change up the setlist for this tour but not for other ones.

However, on the Enchanted Box Set tour she really did change up the setlist and I think pretty much every fan agrees that it was awesome. This one is sounding like that, so I think we actually do have something to be hopeful about. So even if her reasoning is misguided, I'm super happy that it will be a new setlist. But Stevie, if you do tour after this, pleeeeeease vary the setlists. If you don't want to sing the same songs, then don't.

Please do not do abbreviated versions of songs. It reeks of schmaltzy Vegas lounge acts. I would be ecstatic if she did Wild Heart, but not just the first verse. Of course, she wouldn't have to do all the outro, but don't cut out verses of songs. I had to go to an Olivia Newton John concert once (don't ask, the bf wanted to go) and she did a medley and it was horrible. That's what shortened versions remind me of.

I will be totally astounded if she has different set lists. It's amazing to me that she actually realizes that some people do this. I have never understood why some artists have such static setlists, especially when she makes comments that show that she knows and is herself more interested in bringing in new songs. Why would you not do that??? She can still keep the big 6 (Dreams, Gold Dust Woman, Rhiannon, Landslide, Edge of 17 and Stand Back) if she is worried about fans not getting what they want. But that leaves nine or ten songs to play with. But Stevie, if you do have different setlists (and cutting the setlist by one or two songs mid tour doesn't count), make sure you alternate at every other show so that fans don't have to travel long distances to actually go to two shows with different songs.

There is no way a 3-hour acoustic show is ever going to happen. The only 3-hour show that will ever happen is if she has Waddy do a 90 minute intro to Edge of 17.

I'm really surprised that she is doing such a different setlist (songs not done live before, songs not done for a long time, new 24 Karat Gold songs, songs from In Your Dreams, an acoustic set) on a tour with such a well known headliner. From what I remember her saying, her reasoning has always been that she knows what songs fans come to hear. And on this tour, she will have people in the audience who aren't really her fans. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally behind it. I just hope that she starts to care less about whatever it is that inhibits her from branching out creatively in her live shows and keeps being brave.

Also, I have never believed that if you like a band but aren't a huge fan you will not go see them just because you went before and the setlist wasn't exactly what you wanted. I've stopped seeing bands because I didn't like a show because they were bad or I got bored with their music (not going to name names ) , but not because of the setlist. Do you all think that is a reasonable fear? It would be something like "Stevie did Dreams, Rhiannon, Edge of 17 and Stand Back but not Stop Draggin My Heart Around so I'm not going to see her next time comes". It doesn't wash with me. And I don't think most casual fans are checking out setlists before they buy a ticket.

I thought it was really revealing what she said about making a Fleetwood Mac CD (a year fighting with people and then another your touring with people that you were fighting with). It would be so cool if they could all just agree that they will do a CD in two or three months (it seems pretty doable considering they have so much of it already laid out). I really really really hope for one more Fleetwood Mac CD with all 5 of them.

Sorry for the excessively long post but I don't have any good friends that are Mac heads so I get it all out here.

Kevin
Old 09-08-2016, 09:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post
New Orleans and Soldiers Angel have been done, time to move on. Fill the set with more 24K Gold songs or do full versions of the title songs.
great songs on record, not great in concert. too slow and too long for an arena show. I see a lot of people going to the bathroom. Now in a small theater tour......
Old 09-08-2016, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
DO IT! Get that Amex out! I'm so happy I did. That feeling when I know I'm gonna see Stevie in a few month is so magical and it never changes!! It's always wonderful
Girl, I'm on it!! $300 seats, $50 TShirts, AND $15 cocktails await!!! That AMEX is coming out of my grab bag right now, sister honey!! The High Priestess had better PUT UP or SHUT UP!!! There's gonna be hell to pay if I don't get my "Wild Heart" and "Bella Donna" live concert arrangements. Alice had better not be blowing smoke with this "alternative nightly setlist" promise!!! Pay up, Lily, get into rehearsals and work!!!
Old 09-08-2016, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
not great in concert. too slow and too long for an arena show. I see a lot of people going to the bathroom. Now in a small theater tour......
Agreed

Kevin
Old 09-08-2016, 11:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I can honestly say, I never even listened to 24 Karat Gold again until we got home from the tour in January. Because why would I, you know what I mean? Why would I go and make myself feel bad by listening to my really beautiful, fun record of all my great old glory songs? [They] were the sex, rock & roll and drug songs that just almost made every single big record, but for whatever my reasons were, I pulled them. These weren't songs that were kicked off the record by anybody; these were songs that I pulled off records.

So why would I want to sit around and make myself miserable? So I never listened to it once until we got home from the Fleetwood Mac tour...
I don't really understand what she means by this. Does she mean she would have been miserable about being on the road with FM and not promoting 24KG?
Old 09-09-2016, 12:02 AM
Senior Ledgie

I don't understand why she's changing her set list up so much when she's playing arenas?

Does she not expect to sell out, but wants to attract her fans/ make sure we can all get a ticket I don't understand...
"It was, because we demanded it from the very beginning. You can't be a wimp, and then one or two years later decide not to be a wimp anymore. Because people will always treat you like a wimp, once they have decided that's what you are. So you can never be that. You have to be strong, tough, smart, and know who you are. So, people will get that. Then, they're always going to be great to you. Then, they listen to you; they listen to your songs. They give you a chance. Otherwise, you get nowhere."
Old 09-09-2016, 12:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=:
New Orleans and Soldiers Angel have been done, time to move on. Fill the set with more 24K Gold songs or do full versions of the title songs.
great songs on record, not great in concert. too slow and too long for an arena show. I see a lot of people going to the bathroom. Now in a small theater tour......[/QUOTE]

I completely beg to differ. First of all, New Orleans has not been done except once in New Orleans. Otherwise, it has never been part of the set. Secondly, being one of my favorite songs of the album, I would never take a bathroom break during it. Third, if people actually listened to the lyrics and connected to the sentiment behind it, your brain wouldn't even think in terms of how long is this song because you would be caught up in the meaning and how we relate to the world which is what Stevie does for us.

Let her music do what it's intended to do. Don't listen to her. Listen through her…

So excited for this tour.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:45 AM
Ledgie

I'm excited for this tour because she is! I'm all for doing songs from past albums that she knows true fans will love! It's for the love of the music, and that's what means the most to me! I'm still praying for a last Fleetwood Mac cd in a few years though
Old 09-09-2016, 11:52 AM
Senior Ledgie

This was a great article, and it's nice to see Stevie excited about hitting the road in support of songs that she clearly cares about and wants people to hear.

It's encouraging to know that she's at least thinking about changing the setlist and that she wants this tour to be different and special. She hedges a bit by saying that they'll have to see how things sound before committing to anything, but I really hope she delivers on her promises. I remember when she was talking about the Vegas shows she said she had every intention of doing "The Highwayman." Well, that didn't happen, and it's a song I think she could actually do really well with her current voice. We'll see what, if anything, she pulls out of her hat this time around.

All I know is that I'll be buying tickets for Boston and Connecticut on Monday..... :-)
Old 09-09-2016, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by editme2 View Post
She hedges a bit by saying that they'll have to see how things sound before committing to anything, but I really hope she delivers on her promises. I remember when she was talking about the Vegas shows she said she had every intention of doing "The Highwayman." Well, that didn't happen, and it's a song I think she could actually do really well with her current voice. We'll see what, if anything, she pulls out of her hat this time around.
I guess we'll have to wait until the first night of the show when someone reports the set list on this forum. Yeah, I remember when she did Jim Ladd's show in 2005 promoting the upcoming Vegas shows. She said she was excited that "all the old costumes were coming out" and she was going to have ballet dancers in the background and that she was rehearsing tracks like "Talk To Me", "Rooms On Fire" and "The Highwayman". Jim even suggested she bring back "Sisters" and she said that was a great idea. When we flew out to Vegas to see the show, we had a great time but I couldn't help but feel a little let down. It was basically your typical Stevie concert, just on a bigger stage. To her credit, the FX department made some nice background visuals projected on the screens...and she did pull out "How Still My Love", "If Anyone Falls" and "BATB" for the first time in a very long time...but that was about it.

I've already purchased tickets so I'm definitely going. But it just very well might be my last show if we discover it's the same old set with two or three 24K songs. I really hope she keeps her word and not only includes a lot of 24K and IYD songs, but also revisits some deep cuts from her back catalog. I'm hopeful, but not getting my hopes up, if that makes any sense whatsoever.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieNicksfann View Post
I completely beg to differ. First of all, New Orleans has not been done except once in New Orleans. Otherwise, it has never been part of the set. Secondly, being one of my favorite songs of the album, I would never take a bathroom break during it. Third, if people actually listened to the lyrics and connected to the sentiment behind it, your brain wouldn't even think in terms of how long is this song because you would be caught up in the meaning and how we relate to the world which is what Stevie does for us.

Let her music do what it's intended to do. Don't listen to her. Listen through her…

So excited for this tour.
I understand how important both songs are. That's not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing that they aren't my favorite from the record live. Everyone has their likes and dislikes, this is just my personal opinion.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I understand how important both songs are. That's not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing that they aren't my favorite from the record live. Everyone has their likes and dislikes, this is just my personal opinion.
Fa sho. Personally, I could do with a break from politics this year so my opinion is that I'd rather she didn't do them. I like New Orleans though.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's the podcast with the full interview. She sounds so happy. ♥

Crystallineknowledge
Dedicated to Stevie.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There are a few things she says in this Podcast that are telling. I was amazed when, after her dog died, she "decided" she didn't want to "stay home this year", so she decided to tour.

Stay home this YEAR!??

Interesting that she thinks about things in those terms. Most people have a sad event happen and get depressed about it and decide to stay home and work out their grief for maybe a week. A couple of weeks at the most. Some people are lucky and get a bereavement period for a month.

Stevie, being a celebrity for decades and decades, has the luxury of deciding to stay home for a YEAR.

P.S. I'm also willing to bet that this was her "excuse" to the band for not recording music with them these past 10 months.

Last edited by sorcerer999; 10-19-2016 at 11:15 AM..