User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I had said that the source is Mike Bise.
Which perfectly sums up why most of us are doubtful about the validity of the story.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sorry if I repeat myself but probably my posts are TLDR, I had said that the source is Mike Bise that said in his old report on the RAL sessions:
What I meant is - who is Mike's source?

I can make a blog and say stuff too. Doesn't mean it's true. I'm not saying Mike is making stuff up, but there is no valid source given (Stevie, Atlantic, producers, press clippings, etc...) that back up this claim about All Over You being submitted for Enchanted.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 10-07-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Which perfectly sums up why most of us are doubtful about the validity of the story.
Still a better source than all of us here.
No offense, but for now it seems that the main reason why people doubt the song it's because they don't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
What I meant is - who is Mike's source?

I can make a blog and say stuff too. Doesn't mean it's true. I'm not saying Mike is making stuff up, but there is no valid source given (Stevie, Atlantic, producers, press clippings, etc...) that back up this claim about All Over You being submitted for Enchanted.
As I said ask Mike.
I remember someone commented his post with just the same question but I don't remember his answer.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No offense, but for now it seems that the main reason why people doubt the song it's because they don't like it.
Perhaps. I think it has more to do with the fact that Stevie has one of the most recognizable voices in music. All Over You doesn't sound like her.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 10-07-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Perhaps. I think it has more to do with the fact that Stevie has one of the most recognizable voices in music. All Over You doesn't sound like her.
I personally never understood this fact of considering her "one of the most recognizable voices in music" bacause if you take any year of her career she doesn't sound like did the year before. Even her studio voice is very different than her live voice. Her timbre is surely unique, but I think that casual fans wouldn't recognize her voice on many bootlegs or demos.
I see some resemblance between the voices, but they are heavily altered by studio effects as I've always said.
However I found that Mike answered this same question many times in old threads and I found one of them, if you're curious:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebise View Post
Rather than search through my old posts to explain all this in mega detail, here's the quickie version:

The Enchanted outtakes were turned in to Atlantic Records in Manhattan by Stevie Nicks herself in February 1998 for consideration for the rarities part of the collection. Hand-delivered. By Stevie Nicks. My source (call him "Spider") worked in the Atlantic offices in NYC then. He copied those songs onto CD and gave then to his then-girlfriend/now-wife (let's call her "Luna").

Luna made a CD copy for me and sent it to me immediately.

These songs, hand-delivered to Atlantic Records in New York City by Stevie Nicks in February 1998, are:

The Nightmare - Piano Demo #1
The Nightmare - Piano Demo #2
Gypsy Beggar
All Over U
How Still My Love - Outtake #1
How Still My Love - Outtake #2
Twisted - Demo #1 (without overdubs)
Twisted - Demo #2 (with overdubs)
Edge Of Seventeen - Unreleased 12" Dance Version (the one who the "Whoo"s in it)
It's Late #1
It's Late #2

All of these songs were on the Master Tapes Stevie turned in to Atlantic.

Why would Stevie turn in a song to be on her box set if she's not on the song? Who has "confirmed" that it's "not Stevie"?

Stevie had the Master of "All Over U" in her possession and let it be considered for Enchanted.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
Great idea. I would love for all of Stevie's albums to get a remastered treatment.

I consider "Rock A Little" to be her weakest record. As a 15 year old teenager in the 80's I was hooked on the album, listening to it for a solid year---thus, I know it back and forth. However, "Rock A Little" just hasn't stood the test of time and sounds complete dated. I tried to listen to "RAL" on Spotify the other day for the first time in over 20 years. I couldn't get through it. It's just to 80's synthesizered and overproduced for my taste.

In contrast, "Bella Donna" and "Wild Heart" have held up and still sound completely fresh to me.
I hate the whole "Dated" BS that fans of any artist throw around. Of course it all sounds dated. ROL is 31 years old. If you think her first two albums sound "fresh" listen to the radio. There is no way any of her old material sounds like it could have been made today.

ROL is brilliant from start to finish. I realize some fans hate it but I love ever single track on it as well as the songs recorded for it but left off like Battle of the Dragon and One More Big Time Rock 'N Roll star. I think she will reissue RAL and OSOTM but I don't see her (sadly) reissue Street Angel.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
However I found that Mike answered this same question many times in old threads and I found one of them, if you're curious:
But still - a source who is not verifiable. In the end, I seriously doubt Stevie would have turned in crap sounding (as in the terrible sound quality of those) demos to Atlantic for a career spanning box set.

It really doesn't matter in the end. Some think it's Stevie. Some don't. No one knows except Stevie and Prince and whoever else might have been there.

The subject has been debated for years.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I can really be swayed either way on this one. I'm riding' that fence.

Although, I have heard some HQ versions of All Over You that I personally found compelling.

I'm out!
Old 10-07-2016, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahafan02 View Post
I hate the whole "Dated" BS that fans of any artist throw around. Of course it all sounds dated. ROL is 31 years old. If you think her first two albums sound "fresh" listen to the radio. There is no way any of her old material sounds like it could have been made today.

ROL is brilliant from start to finish. I realize some fans hate it but I love ever single track on it as well as the songs recorded for it but left off like Battle of the Dragon and One More Big Time Rock 'N Roll star. I think she will reissue RAL and OSOTM but I don't see her (sadly) reissue Street Angel.
I agree. When I listen to Stevie's albums, the Wild Heart and Rock a Little are the two cds that I can listen to almost completely from start to finish and not skip a track. On Bella Donna, I really love half the songs but dislike the other half. I love most of Other Side/Mirror but hate Fire Burning and Cry Wolf and Whole Lotta Trouble. Street Angel again is 50/50 for me, along with Trouble in Shangri-La and In Your Dreams. Even though a couple of songs on RAL are odd, like Sister Honey and Rock a Little, she still sings the crap out of them! Talk to Me is incredible, very anthemic rock. I Can't Wait and Imperial Hotel are fun and high energy, while Has Anyone Ever Written Anything is beautiful. The Nightmare is pure Stevie. Some Become Strangers and No Spoken Word are fine middle of the road songs, and I adore If I Were You. Maybe they're not classics, but the songs on RAL sure are catchy as hell.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I agree. When I listen to Stevie's albums, the Wild Heart and Rock a Little are the two cds that I can listen to almost completely from start to finish and not skip a track. On Bella Donna, I really love half the songs but dislike the other half. I love most of Other Side/Mirror but hate Fire Burning and Cry Wolf and Whole Lotta Trouble. Street Angel again is 50/50 for me, along with Trouble in Shangri-La and In Your Dreams. Even though a couple of songs on RAL are odd, like Sister Honey and Rock a Little, she still sings the crap out of them! Talk to Me is incredible, very anthemic rock. I Can't Wait and Imperial Hotel are fun and high energy, while Has Anyone Ever Written Anything is beautiful. The Nightmare is pure Stevie. Some Become Strangers and No Spoken Word are fine middle of the road songs, and I adore If I Were You. Maybe they're not classics, but the songs on RAL sure are catchy as hell.
Yeah, I'm 50/50 on most too. RAL might be my most consistent play-through.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think she will reissue RAL and OSOTM but I don't see her (sadly) reissue Street Angel.
You're probably right. And as much as most of us would love to see deluxe versions of EVERYTHING she's done, I doubt we'll get TISL or IYD either. Although, I think TISL deluxe would be fascinating ESPECIALLY if any of the Dallas Austin sessions were unearthed.

Based on the documentary, I'm pretty sure everything that was recorded for the IYD album was released.

If anything, I'd at least like to see those three albums get the vinyl treatment. It would satisfy my "completionist" nature in regards to my collection.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:59 PM
Ledgie

Okay, so I've edited my wish list, and I think it would be something like this:

DISC 1 - Remastered Album

DISC 2 - Alternates/Extended Takes/Demos

1) I Can't Wait (Extended Rock Mix)
2) Rock A Little (Extended Alternate Take)
3) The Dealer
4) Mirror, Mirror
5) Rose Garden (outtake)
6) Thousand Days (Sax Outtake)
7) Reconsider Me
8) One More Big Time Rock & Roll Star
9) Talk To Me (TIME/Life Edition)
10) The Nightmare (I Can't Wait 12-inch Remix)
11) Battle of the Dragon
12) She Loves Him Still (outtake)

DISC 3 - Alternates/Extended Takes/Demos

1) Jimmy Come On Back
2) Something Exquisite (Take 1)
3) Night Gallery
4) Chanel, Chanel (Take 3)
5) The Nightmare (Piano Demo)
6) Lady From The Mountains
7) Love Is Like A River
8) Whole Lotta Trouble (Demo)
9) Welcome To The Room...Sara (Demo)
10) Rock A Bye Baby

DISC 4 - Red Rocks Live
(In my dreams it would be a perfect soundboard recording of opening night in Houston!)
To hear you
Old 11-01-2016, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OK, so rhetorical question here:

The song Rock A Little exists in two forms. One is the album version, released on all versions of the album. The other is usually referred to as "extended" or "alternate" and is found *only* on the UK 12" single for I Can't Wait.

The alternate mix is, in reality, the original mix before multiple little bits and pieces were meticulously cut out of the song to (presumably) reduce the total running length for the album's vinyl pressing.

This alternate, or complete version being released in the UK was probably a mistake. Stevie has never talked about it, or acknowledged a different mix being out there, to my knowledge.

So now that we're looking at the possibility of the RAL album seeing a remaster and reissue, what would you feel is the best way to handle this song?

*Keep the album as-is by remastering the edited version and using it on the remastered album release.
*Keep the album as-is, but also include the alternate mix as a bonus track
*Ditch the album version completely and replace it with the alternate since it is most likely the way Stevie intended the song to be....since, you know, she recorded it that way to begin with. Pretend that terrible edit never existed.

I'd choose the last option.

The completist in me sort of feels like the middle option will make most fans happy, but I see that as just taking space on the CD that could be better filled by something we've not heard before.

I would go as far as saying the edited version we got on the RAL album is pretty much garbage after having the chance to compare it to the alternate mix.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this, but a Deluxe Edition of Rock a Little simply must include...a lyric sheet that isn't messed up and out of order! Does anyone know what happened to the original and why it was never fixed?
Old 11-01-2016, 06:36 PM
Ledgie

Kick the album edit off the album and replace with the long one that stevie probably intended.