Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Damn You Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham!

I blame you for my warped view of love!

You've doomed me to believe that I'll never know what real love is unless I have the urge to write 150 songs about some dude involving the words "angel", "destiny", "or crystal-something". Of course he would have to write angry, less poetic, monosyllable songs attacking my character and talent. I would have to wear layers of billowy chiffon and a hairstyle that looks like a goose down pillow exploded on my head; he would have to have a huge 70's white man 'fro, wear chest hair embellishing v-necks with gold chains, and platform shoes though he's already six feet tall. He would have to play the guitar with no pic and glare at me onstage when a lyric referred to me. I would twirl around a lot. We'd go do a line of coke, then go **** backstage.

Yeah, that's real love.

Fleetwood Mac's reunion live show, "The Dance", premiered when I was fourteen years old. I don't recall listening to Fleetwood Mac before then but became transfixed when I saw the music video for the concert's "Silver Springs" on VH1's Top Twenty (I miss you late 90's VH1!). I saw this woman singing passionately about love and heartbreak and halfway through the set, turn towards the guitarist next to her and start screaming, "I'll follow you down 'til the sound of my voice will haunt you! You'll never get away from the sound of the woman that loved you!" Why was she yelling at this man? But more importantly, why did I find that man dashingly attractive when he's older than my Dad and I'm fourteen years old?

After that day, I went out and bought every Fleetwood Mac CD I could that would explain the story on why this woman hated this man so much. What I got was an overwhelming soap opera of sex, drugs, loneliness, and confusion. I WANTED IN!

I wanted to wrap myself around someone's dreams, take a silver spoon and dig my grave, ring like a bell through the night, and see my reflection in the snow covered hills. I wanted to feel like those people did and I still do.

In my weak attempt to find my Silver Springs in the past, I probably created unnecessary drama just so I could feel something.
Something I could take home and write about at the end of the day.
So my apologies to the couple of people long ago that I brought into my imaginary Fleetwood Mac melodrama in my head.
You wouldn't have looked good in a WMA (White Man's Afro) or silk v-neck shirts anyways.

Posted by Hipstercrite at 6:36 AM
7 comments:
Melanie's Randomness said...
Fleetwood Mac songs have so much raw meaning that its unbelievable. Such a great post girl. Yeah that love mess between the two of them is epic. But I think its real. They have felt something...I too one day want to know that. She must love him cuz yeah your right she basically is screaming at him, but it makes one hell of a song. They really do rock on a whole different level!!

7:35 AM
Polly Syllabick said...
I miss late 90s VH1 so much my teeth hurt.

And apparently I have been trying to make my life a disastrous, goose-wearing, lyric-yelling, polyamorous Fleetwood Mac song for nearly a decade now. Thank you for helping me see the forest through the non-medicinal trees.

7:58 AM
Writing Womb said...
sadly, i have never knowingly listened to a stevie nicks song...but this post makes me want to listen ...cause I need to be reminded about drama...i have no drama in my life presently, but it's nice to live through it vicariously through anothers eyes!better than nothing!

9:45 AM
Hipstercrite said...
@Melanie- The interesting thing about Fleetwood Mac is that though Stevie and Lindsey's relationship ended decades ago, they were never fully able to move on because they had to see each other all the time, in very emotionally and physically straining situations (writing music, recording music, touring). Can you imagine seeing your ex ALL THE TIME like that?

@Polly- I miss it so much too.
And I'm kind of jealous of your life.

@Writing Womb- Solo Stevie NIcks is very different from Fleetwood Mac Stevie Nicks. I would start with Fleetwood Mac Stevie NIcks, then go to her solo. Her stuff is more interesting with FM because she had to deal with Lindsey (then Mick) all the time.

10:03 AM
WILDasaMINK said...
I think you should completely dive right back into that Fleetwood Mac melodrama you were living in. Ahhh Stevie...impressive style! This post is just one more reason I think you're so cool...just FYI, I think you're cool.
Anyway...so if you miss NY and the good ol' days of childhood visits to the Poconos, may I suggest you take a little visit over this way? You still have family in NY right-you're mom and grandmother??? or am I way off on that? All I'm hinting at is that you could swing thru NYC really

10:44 AM
Kristen said...
love this post... Fleetwood Mac was the first concert I ever went to at age 11 (it was the chain reunion tour) and I LOVED them. Then, it wasn't "cool" to like them in middle school, or whatever, so I took a break from them, tossing my concert tee way in the back of my childhood dresser.

You can imagine how happy I was when I when I found that in 2006 and realized it still fit.

10:52 AM
Jo said...
Unfortunately, I screwed up too many relationships with my seemingly effortless drama. And now I can blame my parents for bringing me up on Fleetwood Mac.
To be fair, she had a guy's name and he had a girl's name - the lines were blurry from the start.

http://hipstercrite.blogspot.com/
my favorite yet
Old 06-18-2010, 01:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Shows we shouldn’t have missed

Marc Hawthorne

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve been more willing to go back and listen to music made before my time, but even through college, I mainly stuck to stuff that was written for and about me and my generation. One major exception, however, was my love for Fleetwood Mac, whose mastery of the pop song still amazes me every time I hear “Everywhere,” “Dreams,” “Go Your Own Way,” and the rest of them. Even though I’ve always preferred Christine McVie’s songs, Stevie Nicks is clearly the most alluring member of the band, if only because she’s one of the prettiest witches I’ve ever seen.

I remember being in L.A. during summer break sometime in the mid-’90s and seeing an ad for a Fleetwood Mac show, but knowing that Stevie wouldn’t be taking part dampened any impulse to actually buy a ticket. I figured I’d wait for the Rumours-era version of the band to finally bury the hatchet, and sure enough, I was living in Cleveland in 1997 when the whole crew came through town to support that live record The Dance.

I had just moved there to start my internship at Alternative Press, and I didn’t really know anyone outside of my coworkers. I figured nobody there would be interested in going, but one day I overheard someone saying he and his boyfriend were buying tickets soon, so I immediately invited myself along. They ended up becoming my roommates, but at the time I didn’t know them very well, so I knew I’d have to remind them about getting me a ticket. Sure enough, even with all the free time that goes along with being a lonely, fish-out-of-water kid in Cleveland, it totally slipped my mind, and by the time I asked if they’d gotten me a ticket, it was too late. I’m also pretty sure the show had sold out by that time, so I just figured I’d have to see them next time. Just one problem: McVie “retired” from the band after that tour, so there never will be a next time. I love you, Stevie, but I need Christine’s songs to make my Fleetwood Mac experience complete.

I ended up seeing Spiritualized on its Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space tour the same night as Fleetwood Mac, but in spite of all the spacey magic, all I could think about was what my witchy woman and pop princess were doing across town.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/shows...-missed,42258/
Old 06-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't Cry for Me Argentina: CBS Years 2 :The Longtail Music Catalog
By admin
There have been several different songs titled Songbird of which the one by Fleetwood Mac (from Rumours) is the most famous, but the Songbird here is Petula's own. Outstanding covers of I'm not in love (10cc) and If you leave me now ...
The Longtail Music Catalog - http://shop.osxsixtyfour.com/wp-music/
Old 06-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is from a Salem-News article about an Oregon festival that's coming up.
http://www.salem-news.com/articles/j...ortex_2-bk.php

Bands from near and far are welcome to play at Vortex 2. Many groups are already on the list, but there are several days to fill. “We need a lot of local support, and we’d like to know what people would like to see. There is literally nothing that will not be tolerated, but organizers expect the entertainment
Old 06-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.80spurple.com/blog/2010/0...south-dance-2/

DJ A-TRAK x OBEY – Dirty South Dance 2
By belle
And I always listen to older stuff of course… both my brother and I have been going through a heavy Fleetwood Mac phase lately. R: Fleetwood Trak! So you've been touring for a while now, how are your live DJ sets evolving? ...
Old 06-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://topics.signonsandiego.com/topic/Fleetwood_Mac

SignOnSanDiego Topics : News, photos, topics, and quotes on ...
The latest news on Fleetwood Mac, from thousands of sources worldwide. High- quality photos, articles, blog posts, quotes, and more.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

http://futurisms.thenewatlantis.com/...es-from-h.html

Futurisms: Assorted impressions and scenes from the H+ Summit
By Ari N. Schulman
During a break, one of the organizers tested out the sound system by playing Fleetwood Mac's “Rhiannon” off of his iPod. Great song. Do you think posthumans will ever still sit around listening to Fleetwood Mac? ...
Old 06-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Tegan & Sara

While working on their latest album, Sainthood, Tegan and Sara spent a month at Sound City Studios in Van Nuys, California, where Tom Petty, Pat Benatar, Fleetwood Mac and Nirvana have recorded. One day, Sara Quin found herself in the midst of a truly memorable moment.
“There was this amazing grand piano that was all worn down and I was playing with Chris [Walla, producer] and Jason [McGerr, drums], recording the bed tracks for ‘Alligator.’

We would come in each day and play the song 30 to 60 times, so seven or eight hours into the day, I was singing and playing and I just thought, I’m in L.A. and I’m in this amazing studio and playing a piano Fleetwood Mac and Tom Petty used, making an album 10 years in. I had a big moment where the wall goes down and you realize how cool the life is you’re suddenly having. Then you go back to drinking coffee that gives you indigestion, eating cheese puffs and not remembering how cool your life is.”

http://community.livejournal.com/teg...a/1808797.html
Old 06-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

DiS: What music have you been listening to when writing the new album?

RS: Well I always listened to the Leonard Cohen, the Tom Waits, they are like my songwriters. But I also listen to a lot of soul music, I guess that comes across in some things, like Al Green and I love the strength of those Marvin Gaye records, it's still in my head that I could do and want to do stuff like that. I want to do an orchestral soul album really. Fleetwood Mac definitely, I can hear the Fleetwood Mac influence – it got in there somehow – they are one of those bands that we always listen to on the bus and I love that period Stevie Nicks. But I listen to a lot of world music as well, a lot of African and Brazilian stuff. I can personally hear little things from that time, playing the guitar in the same way but I think overall that musical influence is not thinking too much, being effortless, maybe more in the approach...lots of new stuff as well, like the Villagers record. The new Laura Marling...there's also a Swedish singer Anna von Hausswolff.

http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4...-magic-numbers
Old 06-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Very inspiring blog

Monday, June 21, 2010
Rock On Gold Dust Woman
Last year I attended the Fleetwood Mac Reunion concert in Vancouver - Fleetwood Mac is my favourite band of all time. I bought this lovely t-shirt when I was there in the largest size they had: an XL.

Sadly, when I got home the t-shirt didn't fit me.

But today, I reached down into the depths of the back of my closet and put it on. And guess what.... it fits! So naturally, I had to break it in at the gym tonight:

And I rocked - oh I rocked on that elliptical for a full hour.

Food Patrol: 26 points consumed today.

On plan and rockin' it!

http://rescuinglisa.blogspot.com/201...ust-woman.html
Old 06-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mick Fleetwood of the Legendary Fleetwood Mac

Thursday, June 24th, Mick Fleetwood will be celebrating his birthday - Happy Birthday!

Standing at 6’6”, Mick Fleetwood is and has always been a force to be reckoned with. One of the original founders of the group Fleetwood Mac, Michael John Kells Fleetwood was born in England in 1947. His father was in the Royal Air Force, which meant that Fleetwood moved around a lot as a child. Academics was not his strong suit and the musician preferred drumming and acting.

Music Career

At the age of 15, Fleetwood dropped out of school altogether and moved to London to pursue his musical career. In London, he met and played with numerous musicians, including Peter Green and John McVie. They went on to form the original Fleetwood Mac in 1967.

Since the early days, the band has had numerous members and sounds. Originally playing the blues, the band went more commercial, and rock and roll with new members Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks. Over 50 albums have been released under the name Fleetwood Mac and Fleetwood himself is the longest standing member of the band, but it wasn’t always easy.

His personal life problems included several failed marriages, an affair with a band mate, and drug and alcohol problems. Fleetwood left the band in the 1980’s to pursue a solo career but reunited with them several times. Eventually in 1997 he permanently joined the group.

Health Problems

Fleetwood was said to have significant drug and alcohol problems in the late 1970’s. He also suffered from multiple instances of blood sugar problems during live performances. This lead doctors to diagnosis him with diabetes.

Fleetwood doesn’t talk about his diabetes much except to say that before his diagnosis he thought he was dying of a brain tumor. Like several other musicians, he chooses to keep his diabetes behind closed doors, saying only that his current wife Lynn has helped him get and stay clean, and control his diabetes which he does through diet and exercise.

Recognition

In 1998 Fleetwood was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and in 2010 the 62 year old drummer was a presenter for the 52nd Grammy Awards ceremony pre-telecast. His band The Mick Fleetwood Band featuring Rick Vito was nominated for its album "Blue Again."

http://www.keyvive.com/featured/mick...fleetwood-mac/
Old 06-24-2010, 12:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

http://content.usatoday.com/topics/m.../Fleetwood+Mac

Fleetwood Mac Story Page - USATODAY.com
Collection of all USATODAY.com coverage of Fleetwood Mac., including articles, videos, photos, and quotes.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://defynewyork.wordpress.com/201...c-dreams-1977/

Fleetwood Mac (Dreams) 1977
Some of you late 80′s early 90′s babies might be laughing but take note (especially if your a producer) Fleetwood Mac is the ISH. Take a break from your Gucci Mane album and listen to one of the best bands EVER.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://wogl.radio.com/2010/06/24/cad...k-flashback-4/

Cadillac-Jack FlashBack « 98.1 WOGL
By Cadillac Jack
Mick Fleetwood is 68 today. He's not famous for designing the Cadillac Fleetwood, or for singing with the 1950′s trio The Fleetwoods. NO…Mick Fleetwood is a co-founder and the drummer for Fleetwood Mac. Yehh, Baby.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://70s-pop-music.suite101.com/ar...s-of-the-1970s

Top Ten Albums of the 1970s
Rumours – Fleetwood Mac. Rumours by Fleetwood Mac was released early in 1977 and stayed top of the Billboard charts for 31 consecutive weeks. The eleven tracks included “Gold Dust Woman” and “Dreams”. ...