Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-05-2005, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Estelle Getty?

Hey - so my sister just mentioned that she's heard that Estelle Getty has dementia...so I tried looking stuff up on th web to no avail - she can't remember where she heard it....so any of you know anything about it? Is it true etc.....sad considering she's the youngest of the Golden Girls right? anyway...just thought I'd ask
Old 02-05-2005, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
Hey - so my sister just mentioned that she's heard that Estelle Getty has dementia...so I tried looking stuff up on th web to no avail - she can't remember where she heard it....so any of you know anything about it? Is it true etc.....sad considering she's the youngest of the Golden Girls right? anyway...just thought I'd ask
As far as I know, she has Parkinson's. She was fine until about four years ago. Her last project was, I believe, Stuart Little. They did an Intimate Portrait bio on her a couple of years ago when she was just starting to get the shakes and tremors. She's a real spitfire that lady, I wish her the best and hope she isn't in much pain.

Old 02-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I also heard she has dementia, as well as Parkinson's. I think the dementia was brought up durig the recent reunion of the Girls last year....the reason why she didn't attend.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the Golden Girls... I hope she's okay

"Age is just a number... The rest is just a state of mind."
Old 02-05-2005, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That's so sad - I didn't even know about the Parkinson's....
Old 02-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I heard about the dementia as well.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yea she does have it. Bea Arthur has recently said at the new Golden Girls DVD release party that Estelle doesn't remember her anymore
Old 02-06-2005, 12:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Entertainment Tonight talked about Estelle on Friday's edition actually... advertising the segment with one of their typically sensationalistic taglines: "Descent Into Dementia!"
As if it's a new ride at Disney World.

They talked to Rue McClanahan, who said that Estelle's condition has deteriorated to a point where she no longer remembers her, Betty White or Bea Arthur.
She related the story of one of Betty's recent visits to Estelle, after which, Estelle told her caregiver, "that was a nice woman."
(Betty herself related this story in a recent interview, too.)

It's all very sad.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I believe Rue McClanahan is the youngest by a whole 10 years and THEN Estelle Getty is the second youngest, but her, Bea Arthur, and Betty White are all within a year of eachother. I'd say Betty's aged the best, considering she's the oldest.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 02-06-2005, 02:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh that's sad.

Lifetime has really bought the Golden Girls out. I love watching it on weeknights after work. What a great show. When I was little, I just didn't get it.

I am sorry to hear about Estelle. It must be so hard for her friends and family..but maybe not too bad for her unless she is getting the head shakes...my grandmother had that but gets shots her her eyes area because she also has vertigo and the two just didn't mix.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:25 AM
takenbythesky
This message has been deleted by takenbythesky.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it's common for people with Parkinsons to also experience dementia. My grandmother had Parkinsons and used to think that bears were after her and that her nurses were trying to push her down the stairs in her wheelchair. The paranoia can be really disturbing. It's very difficult to watch someone go through that. Fortunately, she had good days mixed with the bad.

I too love the Golden Girls. When I was a younger, my mom used to tell me I wasn't allowed to watch those "filthy old women," but of course I did anyway. Now with Lifetime, I can watch them every single day. So there, mom! At any rate, I hope Estelle isn't suffering terribly.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for all the info guys!!

My mom never minded me watching the Golden Girls - she was pretty lax with my tv viewing....I just couldn't watch R-rated movies - I'd go across the street to a friend's house to watch those haha...

My best friend, however, was banned from the Golden Girls after she used the word, "slut"

I used to love that show - and still do - I can't wait until May when Season 2 comes out on DVD
Old 02-07-2005, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks for all the info guys!!

My mom never minded me watching the Golden Girls - she was pretty lax with my tv viewing....I just couldn't watch R-rated movies - I'd go across the street to a friend's house to watch those haha...

My best friend, however, was banned from the Golden Girls after she used the word, "slut"

I used to love that show - and still do - I can't wait until May when Season 2 comes out on DVD
Me too. I got the 1st season.

My fav. seasons are the last 2. Don't get me wrong, I love all the seasons, but I loved the new writers they got for the last years, the comedy was just up my ally! LOVED IT!
Old 02-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Have you seen the cover for the second season DVD? That pic of Estelle, ohmyword.

And Punky Brewster season two comes out tomorrow!

Old 02-07-2005, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Have you seen the cover for the second season DVD? That pic of Estelle, ohmyword.

And Punky Brewster season two comes out tomorrow!
Ugh - that pic of her is gawd-awful

Yep - Punky tomorrow..and Little House Season 7 next tuesday - I think I'm the only who buys the LHOP seasons...