Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-02-2002, 11:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking I knew it was coming!

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD

{sigh} DO we NEED to get into THIS discussion again?

Let me run through it again for those who missed it:

Lindsey wasn't replaced by two guitarists...........
Hahaha!

I was wondering how long it would take chiliD to reply to the two guitarist replacement thing.

Then I scroll down the page and there it is!
Old 07-02-2002, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have never heard any of Stevie's (or Lindsey's) account of what happened the night he left the band. I would love to hear if anyone feels like recapping.

I really like Billy and Rick (but of course, nothing beats Lindsey and Stevie with the Mac, in my opinion). And I've seen some live concert footage before of FM where there is another guitar player on the side of the stage playing with Lindsey. So I just thought that is why they got two guitar players. ??? I liked Behind The Mask. But ya, I missed Lindsey.

I can't wait to read Stevie's book someday, and hope that Lindsey writes one too. Too bad Mick was the only one who has. Seems like he enjoyed bragging about his affair with Stevie and putting Lindsey down. I'll never understand what she saw in him. But then again - I don't know the guy. Just he always seems so boring in all the interviews I've seen him in, and ones I've heard on tape.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Mick's book

I read it all in one sit, soon as it came out. I had to borrow it from a friend to get it. Since then I got my own copy reduced from Amazon I think.

It's a good read. As you learn more about the band from other sources you will find there are contradictory stories about some of the events. There are times when Mick has his own version of reality=:-)

"We listen to their voices, ignoring our own voice" Stevie - SOTM
"I keep the dream in my pocket, never let it fade away" Lindsey - TITN
Old 07-02-2002, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Rock Family Trees Section on LB quitting..............

Mick Fleetwood:
The album came out…and the rest of us go…..we gotta go out on the road….we’ve just made a good album….are we going to not push it….and he agreed to do it against his better judgement….and that all went wrong…..we’d set the whole tour up and suddenly….boom…I can’t do this….I can’t face it…(Mick shakes his head).

Stevie Nicks:
Because of that guilt I’ve always had about not leaving Fleetwood Mac….I flew out of the couch and across the room to seriously attack him….and I did….I mean…I’m not real scary….but I can be fairly ferocious…..and I grabbed him….y’know………..which almost got me killed.

John McVie:
It got ugly…..physically ugly….(John mimes strangling someone).(more from the “Big Love” video is shown here)

Stevie Nicks:
He ended up chasing me all the way out of Christine’s maze like house and down the street….and back up the street….and he threw me against the car…and I screamed horrible obscenities at him……and I thought he was going to kill me……and I think he probably thought he was going to kill me too…..and I said to him…if the rest of the people in the band don’t get you….my family will….my dad and my brother will kill you.

John McVie:
And I said to Lindsey…why don’t you just leave……he left……but what I meant was why don’t you just leave the room (laughs)……true (more laughter).

(the end section of “Big Love” is now shown……

Stevie Nicks:
Every single one of the guitar players had reached the point where they said….I can’t do this anymore…..Chris and I have way too much of a practical side to ever say that (a ghost of a smile on Stevie’s face here)….but the guys are like tenuous…..(makes a so-so gesture with her hand)…always.

Narrative:
Lindsey Buckingham left to pursue a solo career. The previous guitarist, Bob Welch, on leaving the band, had considerable success with his album “French Kiss”. Several more records followed, but by the end of the eighties Bob found himself becoming ever more detached from everyday life.

Don't know how true it is, but Stevie's account is a little different then Mick's.

http://stillgoinginsane.fleetwoodmac-uk.com
Still Going Insane - A Lindsey Buckingham Resource
Old 07-02-2002, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Post What happened that day

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghosty
I have never heard any of Stevie's (or Lindsey's) account of what happened the night he left the band. I would love to hear if anyone feels like recapping.
I remember on the Rock Family Trees thing, Stevie seemed to be quite evil and vindictive, which I put down to the medication thing, this was filmed around late '94 early '95 I think so this would probably be why.
Anyway, John McVie said "it got ugly" and gestured with his hands showing someone appearing to strangle the other with hands locked around throat.
I remember Stevie saying "If the rest of the band don't get you, Lindsey, my father and my brother will kill you" and she looked bitter but honest when she said it.
Later in the show John said, this is from memory so excuse me if it's not word for word, "I read in the press that we, Mick and I are her enemies now and that everything Fleetwood Mac has ever done to her is bad, which is disapointing and completely untrue"

Old 07-02-2002, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Beat me to it Neil!

Thanks for giving a "Proper" account though, mine was all a distant memory

Last edited by madformac; 07-02-2002 at 04:13 PM..
Old 07-02-2002, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The full article of the transcription of Rock Family Trees can be found in the articles section of http://www.fleetwoodmac-uk.com

http://stillgoinginsane.fleetwoodmac-uk.com
Still Going Insane - A Lindsey Buckingham Resource
Old 07-02-2002, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for posting that.
I needed to refresh my memory on it!
Old 07-03-2002, 08:30 AM

OK, so maybe it was a little more than shoving. However, and I'm trying to picture this here, she's running out of this maze-like house and Lindsey gives chase. He catches up with her and nearly kills her. She threatens to send the Mafia after him or something like that. Meanwhile, the rest of the band is just sitting around the living room (embellishment having margaritas!? Did Stevie exaggerate? What do you think?

As for the two guitarists replacing Lindsey discussion. Thanks for clarifying, Chill-man, but the fact remains that it took two humans to replace our beloved Lindsey. And by the way, when you say Rick and Billy were restrained from using their full-blown creativity, surely you are not suggesting their stuff could have been as good as Lindsey's? And let's just fantasize that it was as good, it would have still taken TWO of them to replace one Lindsey!
Old 07-03-2002, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for all the info. I'll remember to take it all with a grain of salt - lol!

Now, I really think Rick alone could have "replaced" Lindsey. But Billy is so cute too, why leave him out. But really, I say "replaced" in quotes because no one can really replace any of the Rumours five, atleast to me. Someone had to fill in and play guitar, ya. But still, no matter how many guitarist and singers they got, Lindsey's presence would leave a hole in the band. Just my opinion- that's all. I loved Rick and Billy (and loved Rick touring with Stevie). But still... Same with Stevie. I did not bother with any of the Becka FM stuff. And now without Christine, that's a bummer too. But since Stevie and Lindsey have always been my favorites, I will still be happy. And since I always used to wish for another Buckingham/Nicks album ever since my teens when I fist got a hold of that, I guess this is the closest I am going to get.
Old 07-03-2002, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Unlike MOST of the people on this board, I don't buy into the myth that Lindsey & Stevie are the "be all, end all" of Fleetwood Mac. They just happened to LUCK into being there at the time the band became WILDLY popular. All the groundwork for that had been laid down by all the previous incarnations...and considering all the stuff that went down the 14 months before they joined, they were damned lucky there even WAS a Fleetwood Mac to join at all.

The way I see it, Rick & Billy didn't REPLACE Lindsey...there was a vacancy, they were asked to fill the vacancy.

Let's say I finally give in to the "common" logic of the "It took 2 people to 'replace' Lindsey" theory. It could also be used in another way:

It took 2 people to replace Bob Welch. Chew on THAT one for a while.

Old 07-03-2002, 01:38 PM
Ledgie

Thanks for responding guys. The only way we would all know what "really" happened would be to be a fly on the wall when all of this was going on. Even when Stevie releases her book someday this will be just one more version of events.
Old 07-03-2002, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
They just happened to LUCK into being there at the time the band became WILDLY popular.
are you suggesting that fleetwood mac's success had nothing to do with lindsey and stevie's contribution?
coz if you are, it's one of the most bizarre statements i ever read here.

somewhere deep in the middle of the night baby, i think about you!!! she says somewhere deep in the middle of the night my baby, i think about you!!!! she says i know what it sounds liiike! i know what it sounds liiiiiiiiiiike, i know what it sounds like, it sounds like youuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!
Old 07-03-2002, 02:16 PM

I don't buy into the myth that Lindsey and Stevie are the "be all and end all" of Fleetwood Mac. Only Lindsey, as far as I am concerned.

As far as luck, I'd say that is not giving him enough credit, but hey, ChilliD, if that's what you think, that's what you think. Stevie, however, certainly got lucky. She only joined the band because Lindsey insisted that Mick take them as a package. And that's why it took the two of them to replace Bob Welch. But then again, except for a couple of songs, the Welch period interests me about as much as the post-Lindsey period, which is to say not at all.
Old 07-03-2002, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
They just happened to LUCK into being there at the time the band became WILDLY popular. All the groundwork for that had been laid down by all the previous incarnations...and considering all the stuff that went down the 14 months before they joined, they were damned lucky there even WAS a Fleetwood Mac to join at all.
They lucked into that enormous wave of momentum and popularity that was breaking after the fake band fiasco and Bob Welch left?

If you're tired of the constant focus on two members of the band who aren't your particular favorite, that's one thing. But let's not pretend Lindsey's and Stevie's contributions amount to nothing but riding the reputations of former members. They changed the sound of the band as completely as Bob changed the sound of the band when he joined. People responded to that change and embraced it. Lindsey and Stevie aren't the be all end all, but the band didn't "happen" to become wildly popular in spite of them either.