User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default LA Times review; popdose review

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...601-story.html

California Sounds: Summer heat from Buckingham & McVie, guitarist Imaad Wasif — and Elton John's new L.A.-centric clip for 'Tiny Dancer'

Randall Roberts

Lindsey Buckingham & Christine McVie, “Lindsey Buckingham & Christine McVie” (Atlantic). The highly anticipated first duet album between the two Fleetwood Mac members will surely fire the synapses of anyone who’s ever lit a Bic at an arena show — but it’s so much more than that.

Recorded at the Village Studios in West Los Angeles, the 10 songs were penned by the writers of such classics as “Don’t Stop,” “Go Your Own Way,” “Hold Me” and “Tusk,” and there’s not a wasted minute on the album. Add in a rhythm section powered by fellow Fleetwood Mac members Mick Fleetwood and John McVie, and the result is a special kind of bliss.

The Making of the Album… Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie
An inside glimpse into the making of Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie's first ever album as a duo.
Clocking in at just under 40 minutes, the album finds a pair of consistently evocative artists in full control of their powers.

Need a lovely McVie ballad? Certainly. Called “Game of Pretend,” the song soars on the wings of a piano melody and McVie’s unwavering voice. Aching for uptempo Buckingham jams? “Lay Down for Free,” “Red Sun” and album opener “Around the Corner” will certainly tickle your fancy.

Most important, though, the record’s impeccable production and typically Buckingham-ian sonic flourishes dot each moment with subtle adventure. Always an explorer, the longtime Mac guitarist makes no secret of his left-field preferences and he shows little interest in restraining his muse. For her part, McVie embraces such experimentation without hesitation.

And what of Stevie Nicks, the only current Mac member to skip the sessions? She was busy. Is she missed? Yes and no.

http://popdose.com/cd-review-lindsey...kingham-mcvie/

CD Review: Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie, “Buckingham McVie”

JUNE 9, 2017

Dw. Dunphy

Dw. Dunphy is a writer, artist, and musician. As a senior editor for Popdose he has contributed many articles (http://popdose.com/author/dw-dunphy/), which can be found in the site's archives. He also writes for New Jersey Stage, Musictap.net, Ultimate Classic Rock, and Diffuser FM. His music can be found at: http://dwdunphy.bandcamp.com/

Imperfect, but we’ll take it.

It turns out there’s reason enough why the new album by Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie is not credited to Fleetwood Mac. It very well could have been. Both Mick Fleetwood and John McVie contribute. During Buckingham’s “producing mad scientist” years, around Tusk or thereabouts, it’s hard to believe these two founders didn’t find their drums and bass augmented, shall we say? Shiftier moves have been made than considering this a Mac album.
So why isn’t this a proper Mac release? First, that initially was the intention until Stevie Nicks was caught being Stevie Nicks. The momentum to continue recording as a full-blown reunion may have sputtered, but the momentum of the titular artists did not. That’s a good thing.

Good, but not great, is the best description for the record as a whole. Nothing on the album is going to survive nearly as well or as long as the stuff that emerged from Fleetwood Mac to Mirage, but while this disc is on, it is a reminder of how good (there’s that word again) Lindsey and Christine are together.

The source of the emotional confusion lies in the tribute-like nature of the songs herein. “Red Sun” demonstrates the same feel as found on “Think About Me,” and pointedly namedrops the earlier song to cement the connection. “In My World” brings back the computerized sex moans hook of “Big Love.” “Feel About You” wears the DNA of “Hold Me” on its sleeve, and “Carnival Begin” cops the loping rhythm of “I’m So Afraid.” Weirdly, the record’s primary focus seems to find the performers honoring themselves in backhanded fashion.

Yet I defy anyone to feel anything but joy at hearing McVie sing with such devotion through the piano ballad “Game of Pretend,” carrying lyrics — which, on paper, could read as utterly sappy and cringe-inducing — into a sense of purity that smothers any hint of jadedness. Buckingham’s choirs of intricate madness permeate the collection, and his severely underrated guitar chops often have the space to shine.

The secret weapon, as it has always been, is McVie. Back in those magical days, as that stalwart blues-rock staple was transforming into a textbook study of pop perfection, she had the hardest task of all: being the soft anchor that held down two of rock’s most eccentric personalities. Now, as then, she grounds Lindsey, even as he’s lifting her up. It’s a terrific balance that they have duplicated here.

But this is a duplication, an approximation that, even though it sounds terrific, doesn’t quite get the job done. These two individuals had to top their earlier selves, and maybe that’s an impossible task. Equally impossible would have been for the listener to lower their expectations. Taken for what it is, however, Buckingham McVie neatly strolls you down memory lane without actually trodding the same ground. I wasn’t blown away, but I was not necessarily disappointed. It’s not Fleetwood Mac, but it can be close enough.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 06-10-2017, 09:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Re: the second if those reviews. I just don't get why so many people think Red Sun is a nod to Think About Me. Those two songs are equally good but very different IMO.