The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This means nothing to me until I actually see it happen. I'll reserve my judgement until that point, because I honestly don't care about Sheryl Crow one way or the other, and I just can't imagine Lindsey actually being okay with this. Touring on the same bill, perhaps joining for a couple of songs is one thing.. but I don't want to hear a new FM album with her on it (more than she was on SYW). ugh.. a whole disc full of Silver Girl type songs.. no. thanks.

I will go see FM when they tour again. If Sheryl's there doing some of her songs, fine, whatever. It just gives me a chance to break away to get more drinks without missing Lindsey's stuff. Really, I just wish Lindsey would quit and do his solo stuff for forever but that is quite obviously not going to happen. I'll go see him no matter who he plays with, but it would be nice to have another solo tour.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

More press out this morning to the world. The word is spreading!

Sheryl Crow To Work with Fleetwood Mac
OK! Magazine - New York,NY,USA
Working with Fleetwood Mac, or more specifically, the great Stevie Nicks, will be a dream come true for Sheryl. The 46-year-old, who's about to kick off her ...
-------------------------------------------------------------------
News Ticker: Kanye West, Weezer, The Game
Rolling Stone - USA
Sheryl Crow announced she would be collaborating with Fleetwood Mac. Crow said it could happen next year, but kept mum on additional details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crow to Sing with Fleetwood Mac
Entertainment Weekly - USA
The singer, who is friends with Fleetwood Mac's Stevie Nicks, would presumably fill in for Christie McVie, who retired from the band in 1998. ...
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Crow Says She'll Sing With Fleetwood Mac
By The Huffington Post News Editors(webmaster@huffingtonpost.com)
According to Spinner.com, Nicks had said she wouldn't continue with Fleetwood Mac without keyboardist Christine McVie, who retired from touring in 1998. McVie joined Fleetwood Mac in 1970 shortly after marrying the band's bass guitarist ...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sheryl Crow & Fleetwood Mac?
Now here’s a unlikely pairing. YahooNews posted a story yesterday that suggested Sheryl Crow may be working with Fleetwood Mac soon.

So what would we call the new band, if these two join up? Fleetwood Crow? Crow’s Fleet?

Wait and see…meanwhile, Sheryl Crow is busy promoting her newest album “Detours.”

http://www.musicramble.com/sheryl-crow-fleetwood-mac/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Crow says she’ll sing with Fleetwood Mac
By admin
According to Spinner.com, Nicks had said she wouldn’t continue with Fleetwood Mac without keyboardist Christine McVie, who retired from touring in 1998. McVie joined Fleetwood Mac in 1970 shortly after marrying the band’s bass guitarist ...
FoxNewsMagazine.us - http://foxnewsmagazine.us
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Sheryl Crow says she'll be joining Fleetwood Mac
The Canadian Press - LOS ANGELES
Spinner.com said Nicks had said she wouldn't continue with Fleetwood Mac without keyboardist Christine McVie, who retired from touring in 1998. ...

Last edited by vivfox; 03-14-2008 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: love
Old 03-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[This description in the Australian press gave me hope that we might see new studio material

The All I Wanna Do star and the veteran band are struggling to find a gap in their busy schedules to meet up in a recording studio - but she insists they "definitely have plans for collaborating in the future".
Old 03-14-2008, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
-Lindsey's respect and admiration for Sheryl and their common love of quirky studio trickery.
Lindsey has spoken publicly about Sheryl? What did he say?

Quote:
-Sheryl played keyboards on the SYW, which also features a song written about Sheryl.
Yes, but everybody played keyboards on SYW, even John.

Quote:
-Sheryl fans tend to be FM fans and vice versa.
True, these days.

Quote:
-Perhaps Sheryl's multi-faceted talents as a guitarist, bassist, keyboardist and singer will help to pare down the "Fleetwood Mac Orchestra" live lineup we've been seeing since 1987. Perhaps it won't be necessary for Carlos Rios or Jana to be in this lineup (one hopes)!!
I don't think the band -- as long as Buckingham or Nicks is in it -- would ever go out without the backups. They LOVE their backups.

Quote:
-Inspiring the band to enter the studio and hopefully bringing keyboards back into the mix.
Whuh? There are lots of keyboards on SYW -- probably more than any other Mac album (where Lindsey often used guitars to mimic boards).

Quote:
-I can't wait to see the five of them together at the inevitable press conference!
That would be cool!

Quote:
-Sheryl's voice is not as warm and full as Christine's, which will totally change the sound of the harmonies.
I don't think it will "totally" change, not with SharonMindyJanaEtc. still there singing. Sheryl even sort of sounds like a backup singer -- same timbre. She also very efficiently goes into backup singer mode. Witness her appearances with Stevie on her Troubled tour.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I cannot begin to tell you how much this whole notion angers me. I find it absolutely disgusting that there is even the thought of Sheryl Crow being added as a member of Fleetwood Mac. Go through the history of the band and you'll find that almost every member was added to the band based on intuition and instinct. Adding Crow would be the equivilent of selling out in my view. I hope this isn't true.

Matt
Old 03-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

Yes, but everybody played keyboards on SYW, even John.
Oh, I believe it was from an article written around the time of SYW... or TISL... something like that. It's not fun getting old. Irregardless, it is very, very unusual to have guests appearing on a FM album, so the fact that she was invited in to play keyboards is quite an honor and a testament to Sheryl's insider status with the band.

Quote:
I don't think the band -- as long as Buckingham or Nicks is in it -- would ever go out without the backups. They LOVE their backups.
If you think about it, Sheryl Crow is the ultimate backup. She does it all, except for percussion.

Quote:
Whuh? There are lots of keyboards on SYW -- probably more than any other Mac album (where Lindsey often used guitars to mimic boards).
I couldn't disagree with you more. SYW had lots of synthesizer-like sounds that were created via guitar pedals and effects. It was an album that was completely dominated by the guitar in which a few keyboard parts were added here and there to accentuate or fill out the sound. There isn't a single song on the album that was built around a keyboard part ala practically every Christine song. For me, the essence of the FM sound has always been around Christine's playing, so SYW was unsatisfying for me in that respect. I think Sheryl would bring back that bluesy heavy electric piano sound that has been sorely missing as of late.

Quote:
I don't think it will "totally" change, not with SharonMindyJanaEtc. still there singing. Sheryl even sort of sounds like a backup singer -- same timbre. She also very efficiently goes into backup singer mode. Witness her appearances with Stevie on her Troubled tour.
It has already changed with Christine's departure. But, in a way, one could argue that Sharon and Christine both have a similar tone to their voice- that soft, full, husky sound, whereas Stevie and Sheryl both have a reedy, girly quality to their voices. If Sheryl takes over the parts traditionally sung by Sharon/Christine, it's definitely going to sound different. In fact, at times it could sound like Stevie is harmonizing with herself, like she does on her studio recordings.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
I cannot begin to tell you how much this whole notion angers me. I find it absolutely disgusting that there is even the thought of Sheryl Crow being added as a member of Fleetwood Mac. Go through the history of the band and you'll find that almost every member was added to the band based on intuition and instinct. Adding Crow would be the equivilent of selling out in my view. I hope this isn't true.

Matt
And what makes you think this wasn't an act of "intuition and instinct?" It isn't like Mick picked her name out of a hat. One could argue that this has been in the works for a very long time vis a vis TISL, SYW. If they were really selling out, Mick would have been pursuing Vanessa Carlton, Michelle Branch or maybe even Colbie Caillat, which wouldn't have been that much of a stretch considering her familial ties to FM. Considering it looked like Mick had to choose between adding another chick to the band or losing Stevie altogether, I think this move was a no-brainer.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Lindsey hasn't spoken about Sheryl. Although, the way she was draped over him at the end of AHI, I would assume that they must have had some friendly dialogue at one time.

Michele
Old 03-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think she moved to Nashville a few years ago. I don't even think one could even find a 3 million dollar house in Nashville!
Hey, that's interesting since Stevie was in Nashville a couple of months ago. Maybe they worked on this plan. Michele
Old 03-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashingDan View Post
I'm glad they chose someone 'young'. Christ, who was next on their list to ask, Lulu?!

I'm just glad it wasn't Vanessa Carlton that was asked to join!

Sheryl could bring a lot to any band: she can play, sing and write; additionally, she can produce, and she's a solid musician. Her biography says she's got a degree in music, her strong suit is the piano (like Christine). She's got a large following and can help fill up seats, which could be a plus so that FM doesn't come off as merely a nostalgia act. Sheryl can be spontaneous (unlike the current members of Fleetwood Mac) and perform just about anything on cue. Maybe she will loosen things up with the band, particularly in the set list. There's plenty of time for all of this to fall into place, if it is really going to happen. Interestingly, there's no news from Fleetwood Mac on any of this. Sheryl's got her own album to promote, and unlike Stevie, she's not "always on call." Lindsey's got an album to get out. Stevie's got her own thing going on this summer.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sheryl's upcoming role in FM is just speculation at this point. I guess this is how the fans of the 60's to early 70's incarnation of the Mac felt when Lindsey and Stevie joined the band. Except they didn't have the internet to fuel the flames.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down

Quote:
And what makes you think this wasn't an act of "intuition and instinct?" It isn't like Mick picked her name out of a hat. One could argue that this has been in the works for a very long time vis a vis TISL, SYW. If they were really selling out, Mick would have been pursuing Vanessa Carlton, Michelle Branch or maybe even Colbie Caillat, which wouldn't have been that much of a stretch considering her familial ties to FM. Considering it looked like Mick had to choose between adding another chick to the band or losing Stevie altogether, I think this move was a no-brainer.
If it were an act of intuition and instinct, he'd be giving someone who's not that well known an opportunity. Sheryl Crow is more popular today than Fleetwood Mac. You're telling me that if she were to join the band that it wouldn't appear to be some money grabbing opportunity for the band to have one last chance in the big spotlight? Come on! Fleetwood Mac doesn't need more members. They don't need Stevie either. Call up Bob Welch, Rick Vito or Billy Burnette. At least they ARE members of Fleetwood Mac and not wannabes.

Matt
Old 03-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachwood Mac View Post
Sheryl's upcoming role in FM is just speculation at this point. I guess this is how the fans of the 60's to early 70's incarnation of the Mac felt when Lindsey and Stevie joined the band. Except they didn't have the internet to fuel the flames.
Big difference: Lindsey and Stevie were unknowns who were given the opportunity to succeed, not the other way around as in this case, if it proves true.

Matt
Old 03-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If it were an act of intuition and instinct, he'd be giving someone who's not that well known an opportunity.
The two are not mutually exclusive In other words, it is possible that intuition and instinct were used here and Sheryl is musically a good fit, despite her popularity.

Quote:
Sheryl Crow is more popular today than Fleetwood Mac.
I do not think she is. When was the last time she, if ever, sold out or even had the capacity to seemingly sell out Madison Square Gardens and other large venues. FM did so on the SYW tour. SC, instead, mostly has been a shed performer, which is fine by me, but it suggests less popularity

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanne2 View Post
I HATE Sheryl Crow and I think this is a very bad idea
I second that!