The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Does Lindsey still have Epilepsy?

Someone mentioned Lindsey's epilepsy in the youtube comments section of an FM video and it got me thinking if he still has it. He has never talked about it (I only even know about it cuz of Carol's book) so I guess either he doesn't have it anymore or he's really got it under control. Can epilepsy be cured? Or is it something the person has to live with the rest of their life?
Sorry if I sound really dumb right now.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:59 PM

Yes, epilepsy can often be cured and Lindsey suffers a mild form of it; I found that in Bob brunnings's book it is affirmed that "his epilepsy was successfully controlled by anticonvulsant drugs."
Old 01-24-2017, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Yes, epilepsy can often be cured and Lindsey suffers a mild form of it; I found that in Bob brunnings's book it is affirmed that "his epilepsy was successfully controlled by anticonvulsant drugs."
that's good to know. My dog has epilepsy and the meds are really expensive. Plus they have some annoying side effects.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by singertobe View Post
Someone mentioned Lindsey's epilepsy in the youtube comments section of an FM video and it got me thinking if he still has it. He has never talked about it (I only even know about it cuz of Carol's book) so I guess either he doesn't have it anymore or he's really got it under control. Can epilepsy be cured? Or is it something the person has to live with the rest of their life?
Sorry if I sound really dumb right now.
as of right now it cannot be cured but the seizures can be kept in check - here's some science on epilepsy in humans https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Current-Re...omise-Research

i was wondering that too, whether he still takes medications to keep his disease in check, and was something like drugs and alcohol abuse something that played a role in his seizures.

i have no clue about epilepsy in dogs.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-24-2017, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm pretty sure that you can't cure epilepsy, but you can treat it. And as far as I can tell, he doesn't have a really strong form of it so I think whatever medication he was instructed to take handled it fine.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I have epilepsy and no, it cannot be cured. Many epileptics are fortunate enough to have their seizures either completely or almost completely controlled by medication, but the medicines treat the symptoms; they do not cure the condition.

Sometimes a person will stop suffering from seizures due to changes in their body chemistry, lifestyle, etc., and can stop taking medication. However, that is the exception, not the rule. Most need to take medication for the rest of their lives.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I had two night-time seizures in my sleep 7 years ago. No family history, no known cause after MRI scans. Went through a series of medications but since there were no further seizures I was able to discontinue taking them after a period of 5 years. Everything seemed fine for another year but then I had another night-time seizure in my sleep about a year ago. I have been taking medications again since with no further seizures. It's a very minor annoyance, having to remember to take a pill before bed. Sometimes I forget but nothing happens which the doctor said is normal since the medication level is slow-acting over time so missed dosages are not an issue for me.

Epilepsy is basically an umbrella term, covering a very broad spectrum of medical issues and people are physically impacted in various manners and to varying degrees. I'm just glad that I haven't noticed any difference in my daily life from before I had that first seizure and I trust this is the case for Lindsey as well.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Its not cured, BUT can be controlled. Perhaps he doesn't need the drugs any longer. I am surprised that he drives having epilepsy.

From WebMD: " Only then can your doctor create the treatment plan that is right for you. Today, most epilepsy is treated with medication. Drugs do not cure epilepsy, but they can often seizures very well. About 80% of people with epilepsy today have their seizures controlled by medication at least some of the time. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I have epilepsy and no, it cannot be cured. Many epileptics are fortunate enough to have their seizures either completely or almost completely controlled by medication, but the medicines treat the symptoms; they do not cure the condition.

Sometimes a person will stop suffering from seizures due to changes in their body chemistry, lifestyle, etc., and can stop taking medication. However, that is the exception, not the rule. Most need to take medication for the rest of their lives.

This ^ ^ ^
Old 01-31-2017, 02:39 PM

I mistook "cured" with "treated".
Old 01-31-2017, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brown View Post
I had two night-time seizures in my sleep 7 years ago. No family history, no known cause after MRI scans. Went through a series of medications but since there were no further seizures I was able to discontinue taking them after a period of 5 years. Everything seemed fine for another year but then I had another night-time seizure in my sleep about a year ago. I have been taking medications again since with no further seizures. It's a very minor annoyance, having to remember to take a pill before bed. Sometimes I forget but nothing happens which the doctor said is normal since the medication level is slow-acting over time so missed dosages are not an issue for me.

Epilepsy is basically an umbrella term, covering a very broad spectrum of medical issues and people are physically impacted in various manners and to varying degrees. I'm just glad that I haven't noticed any difference in my daily life from before I had that first seizure and I trust this is the case for Lindsey as well.

I have exactly the same outlook, I have had 3/4 seizures at night....two times when I was pregnant, now I am older (much older) things seem to have settled down. As you say it's an annoyance but I think I am lucky and just get on with life......Its controlled, like Lindsey, and just part of what makes me, me.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newzchspy View Post
Its not cured, BUT can be controlled. Perhaps he doesn't need the drugs any longer. I am surprised that he drives having epilepsy.
After my initial seizures 7 years ago, I had to wait for 6 months under medication before driving again. Since medications have been able to control whatever caused the seizures, I've been able to drive without restriction since then - especially since the seizures had occurred only while I was asleep. Driving is much more restricted for those who have suffered seizures while awake and/or under medication.