Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-03-2017, 03:06 PM

STEVIE NICKS STILL ROCKS!
March 31, 2017

Pittsburgh, PA

STEVE NICKS’ 24 KARAT GOLD TOUR

I’M GOING TO GUSH ABOUT STEVIE’S CONCERT.

I grew up to the music of Stevie Nicks. One of my personal goals is to see icons in concert. After we lost so many performers in 2016, I reaffirmed this goal. (Luckily I had seen Bowie and Prince years ago). Stevie’s 24 Karat Gold Tour fulfilled all my ideas of what it would be. Not only did she perform many of her hits, but she brought out what she called songs from her “dark Gothic trunk of lost songs.” In between songs she shared with us about her time with Lindsey Buckingham before Fleetwood Mac, how-when-why she wrote certain songs, and why she hasn’t performed certain songs ever and why she is performing them now.

My friends and I felt like we were sitting at a coffee shop hearing the details of a long lost Aunt’s life. Even though we were in a huge area and sitting fairly far away, she was so sweet and open and a little nervous at times, it felt intimate. She was just as magnificent as you would want her to be, dressed like a Gothic Enchantress, changing capes and scarves frequently. Her voice was melodic and husky. She did her signature spin a few times to uproarious applause.

Chrissy Hynde and The Pretenders opened the show. Chrissy sounded great. She came out and sang with Stevie on “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around.” Very cool. It’s worth noting that they started close to the time on the ticket which is fairly unusual. Most concerts I’ve been to in the last few years start at least 30 mins after ticket time and the headliner is on a good 45-60 mins after the opener. So if you go to this tour and the tickets says 7pm, get there well before 7pm so as not to miss anything.

A plea to the drunks: Some people were drunk and obnoxious (as people often are at concerts) and screamed and yelled for Stevie to “sing” while she was talking. It was horribly annoying and rude. If you go to a concert, please don’t be obnoxious. If you don’t like the performance you can storm out and demand a refund or write a terrible review, but please don’t ruin it for the rest of the audience.

I’m including a few videos I took from far away with my crappy phone. The picture isn’t great, but you can hear how wonderful she sounds. Enjoy.

If you’d like to watch these and a video of Moonlight on YouTube, go to my channel GeeksBurgh.

Thanks to Stevie and her band and the whole team for giving us a memorable performance.

Thanks for reading.

https://geeksburgh.blog/2017/04/03/s...s-still-rocks/
Old 04-03-2017, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Something just made sense to me. The shortened Pretenders set probably has nothing to do that Crissy was sick before. Its to make more time for Stevie's recording. In Pittsburgh the Pretenders only did a 50 min set. Stevie came out after the encores to do SDMHA one more time. I wonder if when the recording is over if the Pretenders will go back to a 15 song set list.
that makes complete sense because in newark they werent filming and Pretenders did 14 songs.
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-pr...-7be6b274.html
Old 04-03-2017, 10:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I heard someone mention that this may be released in August. Does anyone know if this is confirmed?
Old 04-04-2017, 07:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

August seems way too early. If Soundstage of another program airs it on TV, we'll be lucky to see it before November. A DVD would likely be released a few months after the initial airing. Just a guess based on other events like this.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
August seems way too early. If Soundstage of another program airs it on TV, we'll be lucky to see it before November. A DVD would likely be released a few months after the initial airing. Just a guess based on other events like this.
Knowing Stevie this will be released in 2019.

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/
Old 04-04-2017, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanne2 View Post
Knowing Stevie this will be released in 2019.
Lol, well Stevie really doesn't have much of a say when it will air...
Old 04-04-2017, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Lol, well Stevie really doesn't have much of a say when it will air...
True. But she DOES have a say when it comes to the program's content. For the 2009 release of PBS Soundstage, she flew to Nashville to re-record certain songs and overdub a few lines here and there. She's a perfectionist. She takes her sweet a** time with things far too often, in my opinion.

It took two years from when the PBS Soundstage was filmed in 2007 til when it was released on DVD, Blu-Ray and CD in 2009, although I think it actually premiered on PBS in the Fall of 2008 if I'm remembering correctly. Somebody fact check me, please.

That being said, the Soundstage "special" was ALWAYS intended to be a "one off" show recorded for posterity. Attendees knew this. They knew they would be there for hours and hours and hours while she did a few takes of each song over and over again. That's the nature of that kind of "event". I was at the Wynonna Judd/Heart CMT Crossover special and we were there for about four hours that night while the girls recorded each song about two or three times...some with false starts...

But I'm getting off topic. My question now is will this new show be more like Fleetwood Mac's "Live in Boston" for the SYW tour - a filmed live arena concert that maybe wouldn't require a lot of post production work?
Old 04-05-2017, 01:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I would like it to be sooner, but you guys are probably right. Stevie does usually take a while with releases.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:40 PM

Stevie Nicks' '24 Karat Gold' shines in Pittsburgh

After a run of tour dates last fall, iconic solo artist and Fleetwood Mac singer Stevie Nicks hasn't run out of songs to pull out of her "Gothic trunk," which she brought to Pittsburgh's PPG Paints Arena last Friday as her tour in support of 24 Karat Gold: Songs from the Vault continues.

Following opener The Pretenders, Nicks began with "Gold and Braid," the opener to a two-hour set of mostly lesser-known songs that spanned her career--from the early days of Buckingham Nicks to now--and included Nicks' personal stories behind them, such as "New Orleans" written after Hurricane Katrina and the Twilight-inspired "Moonlight." Although 24 Karat Gold is an ideal tour for Nicks fans who want to hear more than top-charting singles, it's not devoid of those--Pretenders frontwoman Chrissie Hynde joined Nicks for a rendition of "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around," originally performed with Tom Petty, and Nicks used the powerhouse "Edge of Seventeen" to pay tribute to Prince.

Despite being a solo tour, Nicks still made room in the setlist for Fleetwood Mac hits like "Gypsy" and crowd favorite "Gold Dust Woman," performed with a gold shawl and Nicks' well-known erratic dancing, and an encore of "Rhiannon" and beloved "Landslide."

Nicks' fans are sure to enjoy spending an evening with the singer on her 24 Karat Gold Tour, with her performance, charming personality, and, of course, that distinct voice.

https://www.axs.com/stevie-nicks-24-...tsburgh-117056