The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Some men are threatened by powerful women. They prefer them weak and subservient. Me, I'm the exact opposite. I mean, if I were threatened by women, would I own two albums by k.d. lang, a woman and a lesbian, no less? Any woman who browsed my CD collection and saw my copies of lang's Ingenue and All You Can Eat would immediately recognize that I'm a great catch, a guy who's secure enough in his own sexuality to honor and celebrate femininity in all its forms.

Perhaps the strongest case for my respect for women is made by my Tori Amos CDs. I have them all, even her poorly received covers album Strange Little Girls and Y Kant Tori Read, the metal album she made in 1989. How could you not feel respect for Tori Amos—and, by extension, all women—after listening to the emotional rawness of "Me And A Gun"? Every time I put on Little Earthquakes, I get chills. Plus, Tori is so sexy on the cover. (In a feminine, earth-mother sort of way, of course.)

Do you still need more proof of what an evolved male I am? Look no further than my abundance of Ani DiFranco recordings. I see Ms. DiFranco as the ultimate example of female independence and self-reliance. She turned down offers from major labels to preserve her independence and control her image. She launched her Righteous Babe label, first to put out her own music, then to put out records from other women artists like Sara Lee. She even lets people tape her shows and exchange the recordings, which is "righteous," indeed.

You know who's incredibly strong? Eve. To be a proud, independent woman in the sexist, male-dominated world of rap, well, that's pretty impressive in my book.

Lest you think I've forgotten the women who blazed the trails for the Joan Osbornes and Sheryl Crows of today, I have a broad selection of music by older female artists. Let's see, I've got Joni Mitchell, Bonnie Raitt, and, of course, Fleetwood Mac. Okay, so there were also men in Fleetwood Mac, but the band was defined by the incomparable Stevie Nicks, a woman who was a huge influence on many of today's brave female artists. I also love Billie Holiday, whose beauty and genius, sadly, is lost on the typical asshole frat guy you see on college campuses today. Like Brad Reidel. Why a girl like Jen Mosbacher is giving that Neanderthal the time of day, I'll never know.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33160
Old 07-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Lest you think I've forgotten the women who blazed the trails for the Joan Osbornes and Sheryl Crows of today, I have a broad selection of music by older female artists. Let's see, I've got Joni Mitchell, Bonnie Raitt, and, of course, Fleetwood Mac. Okay, so there were also men in Fleetwood Mac, but the band was defined by the incomparable Stevie Nicks, a woman who was a huge influence on many of today's brave female artists. I also love Billie Holiday, whose beauty and genius, sadly, is lost on the typical asshole frat guy you see on college campuses today. Like Brad Reidel. Why a girl like Jen Mosbacher is giving that Neanderthal the time of day, I'll never know.
Actually, even though the piece was supposed to be mocking and funny, it's got a lot of truth in it. I mean, I've seen similar things said in articles that were dead serious. I love The Onion.

Michele
Old 07-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is an excerpt from a Filter Magazine article on Supergrass and how it manages to keep the audience interested:

http://www.filter-mag.com/index.php?id=17123&c=11

Supergrass
The Avalon, Hollywood CA - 07.12.08
Filter Grade: 88%
by Kenny S. McGuane | 07.15.2008

Remember back in ’96 when Fleetwood Mac did that reunion tour and they put out the live album The Dance? Do you also remember how they made the listeners sit through new Fleetwood Mac songs? They didn’t actually think that people paid hundreds of dollars for tickets to see a reformed Fleetwood Mac play new Fleetwood Mac songs, did they? I think not. Same thing happened with the Eagles. Who wants to go to an Eagles show to listen to a bunch of old-farts play new Eagles tunes? Don’t bore us, boys. Either play “Witchy Woman” or get the hell off the stage.

Right?

Right. Lots of hugely successful bands run into this problem as they age. Perhaps the key to keeping people interested in a band’s newest artistic endeavors is to try and never break up. Otherwise people are just gonna come out to the shows demanding the greatest hits, which is fine for the audience but annoying—if not totally insulting—for the artist.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually, I went my entire Junior year of varsity football without washing my socks out of "superstition". We didn't win much, but I enjoyed the notoriety.

And, being what I like to consider a spiritual being, I must acknowledge the spiritual power behind black magic, white magic, voodoo and of course, Stevie Nicks.

Yahweh also acknowledged the spiritual power behind the "darker arts", and therefore gave magic the death penalty. For an Old Testament Jew, practicing magic meant a stoning.

http://www.independentmail.com/blogs...jason_vorhees/
Old 07-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Perhaps her biggest talking point is having worked with the US producer, Bjorn Thorsrud, whose previous collaboration includes the Smashing Pumpkins. To get an insight into just how powerful and respected Thorsrud is, he charges $10,000 per song. And last year, the Pumpkins's Billy Corgan paid him $1-million to work on a side project with him over a year.

"I contacted him on facebook and the next thing he flew over and we spent three intense weeks in the studio." Esjay glows while relating the story. "He told me he did the album because he believes in me. He said he's only believed in three women in his career and one of them, besides me, was Stevie Nicks."

She is clearly focused on making a big success of her career.
This is reflected in the way Esjay is in control of all aspects of her career.

"Stealing Love Jones is the love if my life. The other members are essentially session musicians. I can't expect them to put their wives in front of the band."

She recently bought shares in Face Studios, in Westville, where she recorded the album, as well as a house - all through money generated from Stealing Love Jones .

http://www.tonight.co.za/index.php?f...431&fSetId=251
Old 07-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

San Francisco Business Times

http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

SendMe Mobile, a San Francisco cell phone content provider, closed a deal with Warner Music Group to use the entertaiment firm's properties in a variety of mobile platforms on Wednesday.

The terms of the deal were not disclosed.

SendMe lets users send content from the web to mobile phones. Thousands of new ringtones, videos and wallpaper images -- from Madonna to Fleetwood Mac -- are now available to SendMe users.

"Giving our members access to (Warner) artists marks a milestone in our efforts," said Russell Klein, co-founder and CEO of SendMe, in a statement. "We are thrilled to work with (them)."
Old 07-16-2008, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Then there’s the other poem inspired by Kill Your Idols. This one is “Bedlam on the Bedrock (with apologies to Stevie Nicks).” A fellow poet reacted to this as perhaps the strangest poem I’ve ever performed. It was also inspired by the movie trailer to 10,000 BC. This surreal narrative is about a wooly mammoth encountering the members of the music group Fleetwood Mac and trampling them. I loved toying around with the anachronisms. I really hope the audience enjoys the strangeness. I’ve drawn a cartoon mastodon for the program.

http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/blog-en...ductions.html#
Old 07-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Author to sign 'Boomer' book

Women's National Book Association award winner Maria Grazia Swan will sign copies of her new book, Boomer Babes: True Tales of Love and Lust in the Later Years, at 2 p.m. Saturday at Barnes and Noble, 13719 W. Bell Road, Surprise.
Swan examines the most common mistakes boomer women make in relationships, and how to avoid them. She relates stories of real-life people who "through their true tales and celebrity examples made this book possible." Celebrities featured in the book include Stevie Nicks, Oprah Winfrey and Christie Brinkley.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/w...riefs0716.html
Old 07-17-2008, 08:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

An auction house named the Fame Bureau is putting the item under the hammer on September 4. A pair of jeans belonging to Stevie Nicks and a Havana cigar used by Madonna in a photo shoot are also up for grabs.

http://www.prefixmag.com/news/unique...auction/20035/
Old 07-17-2008, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In 1976, 54% of my compatriots watched the local TV special The Best of Abba. That's as many of them as watched the moon landing. The album of the same name is still Australia's best-selling ever.

The rest of the world soon caught the bug. Except the U.S. When the band finally toured here in 1979 (ABBA, SWEDISH QUARTET, IN NEW YORK DEBUT, observed the New York Times), critics compared the foursome unfavorably to Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles and the Beach Boys.

But where is your precious Fleetwood Mac now? Does the Internet list more than 50 Eagles tribute bands? (Or any with as good a name as Abbaration?) Did the Beach Boys have a musical on Broadway? They did, actually. It died. Meanwhile, Mamma Mia! has been on Broadway since October 2001. Note the date--a moment when America sorely needed comfort food. It was as if the country had sent out a national sos and Abba supplied the perfect rescue vehicle: SOS.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...823925,00.html
Old 07-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As a resident of Vernon I feel I should voice my displeasure in regards to the three nights of Funtastic concerts that were held at the DND beer garden.

We heard every word of every song and felt the bass beat of each song.

As much as we like Fleetwood Mac we don't want to hear "you can go your own way" through closed windows after midnight.

I'm not so old that I don't understand that maybe Friday and Saturday night it might be fun to rock out and even stay up late.

However, to have a concert Sunday night when most of us are up early on Monday – not acceptable.

Your concert ended after 12:30 a.m.

We support your efforts to put on a successful ball tournament.

Why do you need to put on outdoors concerts?

You should host your concert in the appropriate venues that Vernon has to offer, such as our multiplex.

I just want to add that we live approximately 10 to 12 kilometres away from the DND fields.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/okanagan_.../25601194.html
Old 07-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post

But where is your precious Fleetwood Mac now? Does the Internet list more than 50 Eagles tribute bands? (Or any with as good a name as Abbaration?) Did the Beach Boys have a musical on Broadway? They did, actually. It died. Meanwhile, Mamma Mia! has been on Broadway since October 2001. Note the date--a moment when America sorely needed comfort food. It was as if the country had sent out a national sos and Abba supplied the perfect rescue vehicle: SOS.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...823925,00.html

It seems to me that Fleetwood Mac must have 150 different tribute bands, I read about so many. And, unlike Abba, FM has actually done something new within the last 5 years.

Michele
Old 07-19-2008, 01:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Friday, July 18, 2008
Correction, Fleetwood Mac: Don't Stop Thinking about the Moment
I love Fleetwood Mac.

Great songs, great lyrics, great musicians, great presence.

But perhaps the Christine McVie penned song, "Don't Stop," isn't exactly a page from Buddha:

Don't stop, thinking about tomorrow,
Don't stop, it'll soon be here,
It'll be, better than before,
Yesterdays gone, yesterdays gone.

Not exactly a lesson of mindfully living in the moment. Sounds like a prescription for lots of "shenpa"--dis-ease.

Anyway, here's a Buddha-like rewrite:

Don't stop, thinking about the moment,
Don't stop, it's all we ever have.
It'll be better to be in the present,
Yesterday's gone, tomorrow's not here.

Ok, not as bouncy or as catchy but probably a little better prescription for mindful living.

http://highplainsbuddhist.blogspot.c...-don-stop.html
Old 07-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Excerpt from an article on Five Times August (Brad Skistimas), from The Houston Press

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/..._august_at.php

Musically, Five Times August's songs are acoustic accounts of breakups and hookups, heartfelt if largely innocuous: catchy, strummy, even a little funky in that acoustic white-guy way. Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham is an obvious, profound influence, to which Skistimas readily copped before a meandering, wistful cover of "Landslide." Another, apparently, is certain '90s sitcoms, at least judging by the YouTube popularity of his version of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

'It's hard to get old and hard to say no'
By Rob Blackhurst

Published: July 19 2008 03:00 | Last updated: July 19 2008 03:00

K eith Richards once said, "If you are going to get wasted, then get wasted elegantly." At 61, his fellow Stones guitarist, Ronnie Wood, embodies this louche creed. As he arrives in the reception of Dublin's elegant Shelbourne Hotel for lunch, cutting a path through huddles of overly nourished politicians and businessmen, he's dressed in the same size of super-skinny jeans, 28 waist, that he's been wearing for the past 30 years, a pair of space boots that may once have belonged on an alligator's back and a tight black shirt undone to the chest: the fruits of a trip to Prada before his daughter Leah's wedding last month.

But, even from 50 paces, it's the luxuriant crow-black head of hair, flecked with only the tiniest hint of grey, that really marks him out as a Rolling Stone. As he greets me with a warm handshake and naughty, liquorice eyes, he says: "I don't dye it either." Alluding to his equally thin bandmates, he adds: "We're all the same build, as well. It's a good thing I didn't join Fleetwood Mac."

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5156420c-5...077b07658.html