User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
On Buckingham/McVie all the elements I missed on SYW are there. That album is testament of what Christine McVie did for FM without ever getting the recognition she deserved. You can hear that Lindsey respects ther, they both value the other one's contributions, you hear the good time they had in the Studio, with Mick and John. That gives the record a calm, friendly feeling, the opposite of the rather aggressive vibe that SVW gave me. It's just a beautifully done coherent album.
I only kinda missed some Stevie background-singing goodies, her voice is so interesting when used to highlight or accentuate the other two's songs. But as a songwriter, Stevie has not moved me for decades, her demo vaults must be totally empty by now. I wasn't expecting anything good from her anyway. I do understand why she didn't want to participate, she knew that both Chris and Lindsey would have crushed her with their talent, their compositions, Stevie couldn't let that happen.
you seem to be agreeing with what Lindsey is saying. Lindsey and Christine still have the creativity and the drive. by all evidence from the last 10+years, it seems Stevie does not.

#vitality

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-19-2018, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post
This is a very good point. I always struggled with WHY Stevie is avoiding them and the whole recording thing, never really sat down and thought it through, but this makes perfect sense.
and that's exactly Lindsey said in that Stereogum interview.

for some completely unclear reason, people have been jumping on him ever since, accusing him on "getting personal" without elaborating how is not being creatively vital anymore a personal attack.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-19-2018, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Criticizing her work isn't necessarily ill-advised, particularly now that he's out of the band. But here it was in the context of speculating publicly about her state of mind. That's what I found ill-advised.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
you seem to be agreeing with what Lindsey is saying. Lindsey and Christine still have the creativity and the drive. by all evidence from the last 10+years, it seems Stevie does not.
#vitality
I'm over Lindseys recent comments. In short: it wasn't what he said, it was when and how he said it. And that he threw Christine under the bus to make his point was uncalled for. Chris is a precious unicorn and has to be respected, protected and worshipped at all times. Lindsey should have left her out of this.

As a matter of fact, I'm not fond of Stevies solo career since she published TOSOTM. She still had some rare moments of decency (TISL), but her solo work since RAL has been mediocre (24 Carat gold) to cringeworthy (SA) or just plain intolerable (the track Desert Angel and that awful album with the f***ing horse on the cover). That has to do with her surrounding herself with "Yes, Ma'am" people. Dave Stewart for gods sake, how was that even possible?

With FM, she fared a little better, but imho that has to do with the band being critical and honest in their opinions. She HATES that, which amuses me to no end.

There is so much to mock about Stevie, bust still, I've followed FM since 1979, FM with her in it have formed my musical taste and her songs, especially the recorded live versions up to TITN hold a special place in my heart. She was all beauty and intensity back then, I loved it. So it's a habit to like her, I still do, also for the magical live concert moments in 2003, 2009 and especially in 2013, where she basically blew me away.

But in 2015, she angered me, we payed so much money for front row tickets and she was upset about something and did not even try to be professional. Chris and Lindsey stepped in and saved the concert. She did some awkward posing I hated, and she behaved like a spoiled brat onstage, which I hated even more. As a consequence, I won't see them next year, I can't be bothered with the 2 new guys and won't risk another disappointment. I know that theyare good players, but the playing is kinda slow, too slow for my liking. Mick won't see my money this time. Also, I won't pay to hear "Free Falling" during a FM concert. That's just plain BS . Part of me is very sad about this, it's the first german tour that I won't attend since 1990 and I will not be seing Christine up close and wave a banner saying "We love you" in front of her, that's regrettable.

The #vitality thing - Noone has as much manic energy as Lindsey, but from what was recorded and what the critics write, it seems that Stevie actually put some effort into it and works hard this time. While I'm sure this comment came from him hurting, imho it was not appropriate and again, Christine is collateral damage of his cutting comments, her energy is not what it was, either. Also, I feel that he damaged his own reputation with the snide comments, it was a bad idea to go there.

Last edited by AncientQueen; 12-19-2018 at 09:26 PM..
Old 12-19-2018, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post
I agree with you 100%, but she would care if she didn't look capable of writing anything new, ESP in front of Lindsey and to some degree Chris. I really believe that. She's sooooo concerned about her image 24/7.
this was why she asked the band for an extra month before going into the studio for SYW. During that month she wrote 3 new songs. Mick even talks about it in the doc-- how she didn't want to just come in with old stuff, she wanted t come in with new songs because she knew LB would have new songs.

Now I'm forgetting, I think the new ones were Silver Girl, Illume, Say You Will . (Thrown Down was already written during the previous tour).
Old 12-19-2018, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm over Lindseys recent comments. In short: it wasn't what he said, it was when and how he said it. And that he threw Christine under the bus to make his point was uncalled for. Chris is a precious unicorn and has to be respected, protected and worshipped at all times. Lindsey should have left her out of this.
except, it is very possible that Christine told him to make it public, what she wrote. and he would be throwing her under the bus if he didn't say it.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The #vitality thing - Noone has as much manic energy as Lindsey, but from what was recorded and what the critics write.
again - you and others seem to be talking about physical energy. i guess people are just too literal?

that is NOT what he's talking about. he is talking about creativity.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I feel that he damaged his own reputation with the snide comments, that was not even clever.
you mean the reputation about being boring person talking about organic cycles? sure, that reputation is badly damaged now!

but if you ever met him, you'd know that he's very much a straight talker in person. which at the time when everything was boring cycles, everyone wanted him to be. well, now he's himself. many people were surprised when they actually met him at recent m&gs. i like Chris' dry humor and straight talk, and i like Lindsey's. but that might be just my personality.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
you mean the reputation about being boring person talking about organic cycles? sure, that reputation is badly damaged now!
I mean his reputation as a brilliant, underrated guitarrist with an unpleasant personality and an ego problem. Add his supposed girl-friend abusing (see that I wrote "supposed") that still follows him and has already cost him so much. So imho his reputation was never that good.

Last edited by AncientQueen; 12-19-2018 at 09:00 PM..
Old 12-19-2018, 08:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
again - you and others seem to be talking about physical energy. i guess people are just too literal?
that is NOT what he's talking about. he is talking about creativity.
I do think that most people, including myself do associate #vitality with physical energy.
i feel that both definitions are not flattering towards Stevie and to an extend towards Christine.

Last edited by AncientQueen; 12-19-2018 at 09:01 PM..
Old 12-19-2018, 08:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
except, it is very possible that Christine told him to make it public, what she wrote. and he would be throwing her under the bus if he didn't say it.
She could have said it herself, then. Or he could have said that she wanted him to make it public. I kinda feel that Christine is not the person who would share such a personal note with the world.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I mean his reputation as a brilliant, underrated guitarrist with an unpleasant personality and an ego problem. Add his supposed girl-friend abusing (see that I wrote "supposed") that still follows him and has already cost him so much. So imho his reputation is not really good.
yes, because others talked and he stayed quiet. didn't exactly helped his reputation, right? especially his famous ex talked trash about him and continues to. even when receiveing what she claims is the best thing ever happening to her, she can't resist a dig at him.

so you want him to continue just taking all that lying down and not saying anything. because it worked so well for him so far, didn't it? you just listed the littany of bs that has been pinned on him, and we really have no idea whether any, all or none of it is true. meanwhile, in personal contacts, he continues winning people over. and people who never met him insist they know better and that all the trash is true.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She could have said it herself, then. Or he could have said that she wanted him to make it public. I kinda feel that Christine is not the person who would share such a personal note with the world.
she did say it - on CBS. they cut it out. then she said it in RS interview again. but that's just in the audio i believe, and people keep glossing over it. it seems pretty obvious she wants it out. what do you think, that she's afraid of Stevie chopping her head off if the fact that Chsritine wants Lindsey in the band is public?

there may have been tons more very personal stuff in that note for all we know. there probably was. all he shared is what she probably wanted him to. yet you and others insist that you know better than the 2 of them what they want shared.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
so you want him to continue just taking all that lying down and not saying anything. because it worked so well for him so far, didn't it? you just listed the littany of bs that has been pinned on him, and we really have no idea whether any, all or none of it is true. meanwhile, in personal contacts, he continues winning people over. and people who never met him insist they know better and that all the trash is true.
I wrote down what I know about his reputation. I do believe that he mellowed out to an extend and that he is far happier than he was back then. He was never any good in the publicitiy department and I personally feel that he came off jealous and mean spirited, especially with Stevies HoF introduction pending. That said, the BS that some fans fabricated about him and especially about his wife who has never been anything but supporting and loving is actually disgusting and has me up in arms for decades by now.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
what do you think, that she's afraid of Stevie chopping her head off if the fact that Chsritine wants Lindsey in the band is public?
I think that Christine would squish Stevie with a single cutting remark.