User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default It Takes Time

So I thought I'd start a thread on this song for a couple of reasons. Mainly, it's wholly unlike anything we've ever heard from Lindsey... or from Fleetwood Mac for that matter. A piano ballad?! This is a shocking departure for the our band!

But more than anything, WHO is it that's playing the piano? Does the iTunes download include liner notes? I've never known Lindsey, Mick, or John to be able to play piano to that extent. I do recall Lindsey playing piano while he & Stevie worked out their harmonies for Angel during the Tusk Documentary. But from what I remember, it was mostly rudimentary chords he was playing. We know Stevie can barely clank away on a piano like a 6 year old. So who was it that laid down that beautiful piano track? Surely Christine didn't have anything to do with this when she was stateside?

All I do know about It Takes Time is that I very much enjoy it. Lindsey pulled a rabbit out of his hat that I totally could not have foreseen, and it gives me hope that there is still new ground for Fleetwood Mac to explore.

Last edited by louielouie2000; 05-01-2013 at 02:05 PM..
Old 05-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
But more than anything, WHO is it that's playing the piano? I've never known Lindsey, Mick, or John to be able to play piano to that extent. I do recall Lindsey playing piano while he & Stevie worked out their harmonies for Angel during the Tusk Documentary. But from what I remember, it was mostly rudimentary chords he was playing. We know Stevie can barely clank away on a piano like a 6 year old. So who was it that laid down that beautiful piano track? Surely Christine didn't have anything to do with this when she was stateside?
Mick said in one of the radio interviews he did yesterday that Lindsey is playing the piano in It Takes Time.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Supporting Ledgie

I love the song too Louie. At first I didn't like it because after he says "slow down baby" I keep saying "slow down nowwwww" in my head. It's a really beautiful song, though that's possibly become my favourite off the EP.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Aren't Songbird and Beautiful Child piano balladsto name just a couple that spring to mind.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the track.
Yes - it is a total departure for Lindsey, but I think it's great - and an important departure.
I'm just grateful that Lindsey Buckingham is still making new music with Fleetwood Mac.
Without him, the band would have either produced a few more really mediocre albums or they would have turned into an embarrassing nostalgia act - like Journey, Pat Benatar, etc.
There's a reason this band has transcended time - and that reason is Buckingham.

I'm pretty sure the piano playing is Lindsey. He's played a lot of keyboards on most of his solo albums.

I said in another post that this song reminds me of some recent Springsteen songs.
Yes, we could have easily had another guitar masterpiece track from him. But I'm glad they included this one instead. He keeps the band interesting and it makes me realize that we could very well have a full album with a lot of variety. This song and Miss Fantasy could easily fit into Tusk - and that makes me very happy.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So I thought I'd start a thread on this song for a couple of reasons. Mainly, it's wholly unlike anything we've ever heard from Lindsey... or from Fleetwood Mac for that matter. A piano ballad?! This is a shocking departure for the our band!

But more than anything, WHO is it that's playing the piano? Does the iTunes download include liner notes? I've never known Lindsey, Mick, or John to be able to play piano to that extent. I do recall Lindsey playing piano while he & Stevie worked out their harmonies for Angel during the Tusk Documentary. But from what I remember, it was mostly rudimentary chords he was playing. We know Stevie can barely clank away on a piano like a 6 year old. So who was it that laid down that beautiful piano track? Surely Christine didn't have anything to do with this when she was stateside?

All I do know about It Takes Time is that I very much enjoy it. Lindsey pulled a rabbit out of his hat that I totally could not have foreseen, and it gives me hope that there is still new ground for Fleetwood Mac to explore.
Love the other three songs. Loathe this one. IMO it doesn't fit well on a 'band' release.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The song certainly took me aback. It's good....that's as high as i can go at this point. It's kinda too much of a dirge-fest for me and usually i like that sorta stuff, lol. real draggy. It's good though. I was looking forward to it cause of the high praise but....it's ok.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 05-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
It's a really beautiful song, though that's possibly become my favourite off the EP.
It's definitely my favorite as well, by a long shot. Sad Angel & Miss Fantasy are fine, but a little too pop for my tastes. Without You should have been left in the vault; it's from another era & deserved the right to remain there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Aren't Songbird and Beautiful Child piano balladsto name just a couple that spring to mind.
Songbird is without a doubt a piano ballad. But the production of the song just puts it into a class all of it's own where it transcends that label, IMO. The way Songbird was recorded during 1 live take and the distant/echoey auditorium sound kinda makes the song it's own animal, in my eyes. Like Mick said, Songbird is Christine's little prayer.

Beautiful Child does have some promiment piano licks, but I wouldn't really consider it a piano ballad. It's more multideminsional than that- it has gorgeous guitar parts & lush folk-style harmonies as well.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's definitely my favorite as well, by a long shot. Sad Angel & Miss Fantasy are fine, but a little too pop for my tastes. Without You should have been left in the vault; it's from another era & deserved the right to remain there.

Songbird is without a doubt a piano ballad. But the production of the song just puts it into a class all of it's own where it transcends that label, IMO. The way Songbird was recorded during 1 live take and the distant/echoey auditorium sound kinda makes the song it's own animal, in my eyes. Like Mick said, Songbird is Christine's little prayer.

Beautiful Child does have some promiment piano licks, but I wouldn't really consider it a piano ballad. It's more multideminsional than that- it has gorgeous guitar parts & lush folk-style harmonies as well.
What about Wish You Were Here? It reminds me a little bit of that.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
haha Without You is my 2nd favourite...
Old 05-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My favorite too, because it's a surprise. Yes we had Fleetwood Mac piano ballads, but did we ever have Lindsey piano ballads? I don't think so. I want people to see that he's more than a finger-picking guitar god.
I would have loved to hear a beautiful long outro, i was even expecting it when the drums slowly kicked in, but never happened. It could have been completely epic.
The piano track is so simple. I'm sure he is the one who plays it.

I want him to play it live "Songbird" style.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless-Child View Post
My favorite too, because it's a surprise. Yes we had Fleetwood Mac piano ballads, but did we ever have Lindsey piano ballads? I don't think so. I want people to see that he's more than a finger-picking guitar god
I may be in the minority here, but I think if Lindsey is going to do 'Lindsey piano ballads' on which noone else appears then they are probably more suited to his solo projects.

I totally get that the band has evolved post-The Dance, but this track is just basically a Lindsey solo track which sits totally apart from its three companion tracks. I'm sure that delights all the Lindsey solo fans, but as a fan of Fleetwood Mac proper it feels odd to me.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
I may be in the minority here, but I think if Lindsey is going to do 'Lindsey piano ballads' on which noone else appears then they are probably more suited to his solo projects.

I totally get that the band has evolved post-The Dance, but this track is just basically a Lindsey solo track which sits totally apart from its three companion tracks. I'm sure that delights all the Lindsey solo fans, but as a fan of Fleetwood Mac proper it feels odd to me.
I'm not a Lindsey fan. But i've always (since Tusk) classified Lindsey Fleetwood Mac songs as just Lindsey songs because he's doing everything on these tracks.
So to hear Stevie sing backing vocals on Sad Angel isn't going to change anything, it will always be a Lindsey song to me.
It takes time didn't need backing vocals or drums because it's pretty this way, just as Sad angel sounds damn good with the whole band.
Should they only choose songs that sound good when played with the whole band? I don't think so, it would reduce their range, and currently Lindsey is the only one who is bringing something to the table.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I love the song too Louie. At first I didn't like it because after he says "slow down baby" I keep saying "slow down nowwwww" in my head. It's a really beautiful song, though that's possibly become my favourite off the EP.
that's exactly what bugs me about this. Totally new? Hardly. It's more like a piano demo of Show You How. He completely rips off the (melody) of the chorus from that song. It sounds like it came right off one of his last solo albums. I love Lindsey, have gone to all his tours, own all the albums, but this is not new or original -- other than he's on the piano instead of say an acoustic guitar. It's a repackage of an existing song. I hate when Stevie does it and I think I hate it even more that Lindsey's doing it because I have higher expectations for him. Bleh.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

His singing style kinda reminds me of Randy Newman's in this tune.

And I couldn't get "Trouble" outta my head after hearing "Miss Fantasy."