User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2004, 11:35 PM
Registered

Default # 3 and # 84 in same week/Controversy Music

Billboard mag has 'Live in Boston' at a # 3 debut on their 'Top Selling Music Videos' chart in the issue currently on newstands, and at # 84 in its debut week on the Hot 200 LP chart. Odd. Since the cd is not available for purchase separately, i wonder how the figures were reached. My math is screwy to begin with, but if it's # 3 on the video chart, and # 84 on the Hot 200, does this mean that sales of videos/dvds are 27 percent less than the sales of cds for a descrepency of 81 chart positions??
Since the cd is only available with the dvd, should it chart as a cd to begin with? Guess i should 'ask Billboard'...
Also, 'Controversy Music' is listed as a publisher of 'Stand Back' along with Welsh Witch in the DVD/cd credits, so Prince is finally getting a share of the publishing royalties? I know Stevie's explained it, but i never have been able to hear any of 'Little Red Corvette' in 'Stand Back' so i think she's being generous to a fault giving him a publishing credit with this release.
I had a laugh today watching Disc 2 of the DVD and hearing Lindsey wax poetic of 'no spontaneity' before WTWCT began. Just struck me as ironic, considering the set list and how there's been no spontatenity whatsoever allowed on this tour during any of its legs. Wonderful tour anyway, and i am really loving the DVD which i've watched several times over the past couple weeks.
As for comments i've read about why which songs made it to the cd, here's my thoughts-- 'Eyes of the World' because its fresh and maybe the label was hoping radio would pick up on it, 'Dreams' because it is always the 2nd song in the set and has usually been the 2nd song on any Mac cd it's on and i think Stevie may have a superstition about it being a good luck charm; 'Silver Springs' because Stevie's mom gets the publishing royalties from it and Stevie might've wanted to give Mom a little present ... and 'Stand Back' so she could give Prince some royalties which i read once she said she wanted to do...yet notice his 'Controversy Music' is listed as co-publisher yet Stevie retained sole songwriting credit. 'Go Your Own Way' is on there i figure because it was Lindsey's biggest song ( i think) and in terms of publishing royalties, it's profitable for him to have it on there (as 'Dreams' and 'Landslide' would be for Stevie).... Back to the charts, not that it matters a whole lot, but i don't think Stevie OR Fleetwood Mac have ever debuted as low as #84 in their first week in Billboard (not counting 'Time', which i don't)-- so it's good to see them listed as # 3 in their first week on the 'top selling videos' list...

Last edited by Nikolaj; 06-29-2004 at 11:54 PM..