Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:55 PM
Ledgie

Default Reissues

Howdy hey. If you guys were forced to choose your favorite series of reissues, what would you say? In one corner you have the three reissues from 2003 of "Fleetwood Mac", "Rumours" and "Tusk" and in the other corner you have the recent remasters of "Rumours", "Tusk", "Mirage" and "Tango In The Night".

For me, just for sheer completeness, I really love these recent reissues. I think the actual remasters of the albums sound quite good, and they are big improvements over the original CD versions from the 1980s. But, I do have a soft spot for the 2003 remasters. I do miss how those had jam sessions tacked on at the end. It puzzles me why "Kiss and Run" and the studio version of "The Farmer's Daughter" weren't on the recent reissue of "Tusk". I also prefer the 2003 remaster of "Rumours", due to it having "Silver Springs" where it would have been on the album rather than being shoehorned in at the end.

Also, do you think these remasters will go past "Tango In The Night"? I would love it if "Say You Will" or "Behind The Mask" got some remastering, but that seems a little unlikely. They probably don't have enough material for a box set reissue, but at least a two disc reissue.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I believe, after Tango, they will give the white album the same treatment, and then Behind the Mask. There is plenty of extra material they could put on a Behind the Mask Deluxe edition. An audio concert of both tours Rick Vito and Billy Burnette were on, for example. Plus all the unreleased songs, alternate tracks, and demos from that era, such as No Questions Asked, As Long As You Follow, Game of Love, etc.

My personal favorite deluxe edition was Tusk, mostly because of the 2 live discs, but also because of the alternate disc, too. And I agree with you 100% how disappointing it was The Farmer's Daughter wasn't included. The only real disappointment is that Christine McVie didn't comment in the liner notes like Lindsey and Stevie. Hearing from the third songwriter would have been interesting.

Btw, I love the Fleetwood Mac Live cds, but the sound is horrible. I really wish they would rerelease those cds, too.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't imagine they'd do anything with Behind The Mask or Say You Will (and certainly not Time). Those albums are consigned to history. They didn't sell huge numbers first time around in the same way as the other 'Big 5' so they'd be extremely unlikely to sell many deluxe versions either. Also, as has been stated by others, I'm not sure there'd be a huge amount of outtake material that could be used for Fleetwood Mac.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 03-28-2017, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I can't imagine they'd do anything with Behind The Mask or Say You Will (and certainly not Time). Those albums are consigned to history. .[/I]
Sadly (specially for BTM) I agree.
I don't see more reissues and deluxes in the future. But probably more live albums, if they have good quality tapes.

My favorite is the last deluxe Rumours.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As long as the Deluxe editions sell, they will keep releasing them. That's why I firmly believe the white album will definitely be rereleased. Behind the Mask is questionable, but distinctly possible. From my understanding, there are a lot of outtakes and demos from that era, so finding material wouldn't be the problem. Plus the videos for Save Me, Skies the Limit, In the Back of My Mind, and As Long As You Follow.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think 1975's White Self titled album will be the last to get the "Deluxe" treatment, although I believe it will be in a diminished capacity since there doesn't appear to be a lot of extras to tack onto it. And that would complete the Deluxe Sets of the FIVE albums by the "Rumours line-up".

And then that will be it. I could see them remastering the albums "Then Play On" all the way thru "Heroes" and releasing them in one big boxed set, perhaps with an extra disc of rarities. But individually? Not anytime soon.

"Behind The Mask"? "Time"? "Say You Will"? Nope.

I'd love an upgrade of the 1980 Live album though. Doesn't have to be anything "deluxe"...but a remaster would be nice.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
I think 1975's White Self titled album will be the last to get the "Deluxe" treatment, although I believe it will be in a diminished capacity since there doesn't appear to be a lot of extras to tack onto it. And that would complete the Deluxe Sets of the FIVE albums by the "Rumours line-up".

And then that will be it. I could see them remastering the albums "Then Play On" all the way thru "Heroes" and releasing them in one big boxed set, perhaps with an extra disc of rarities. But individually? Not anytime soon.

"Behind The Mask"? "Time"? "Say You Will"? Nope.

I'd love an upgrade of the 1980 Live album though. Doesn't have to be anything "deluxe"...but a remaster would be nice.
I've always thought that the fact that the 1980 Live Album didn't feature The Chain nor Sisters of the Moon is a true scandal.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 03-29-2017 at 11:54 AM..
Old 03-29-2017, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I've always thought that the fact that the 1980 Live Album didn't feature The Chain nor Sisters of the Moon a true scandal.
I love Fleetwood Mac Live. It has by favorite versions of Rhiannon, Over My Head and I'm So Afraid.

Just finished reading STORMS and thought it was interesting that only Mick wanted to release Live...supposedly the other four were not happy to have that album out there.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've always thought that the fact that the 1980 Live Album didn't feature The Chain nor Sisters of the Moon is a true scandal.
I've always loved Live, and never understood why the others didn't want to release it.

I listened to it last night, as a matter of fact...
Old 03-29-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I've always loved Live, and never understood why the others didn't want to release it.

Great album and very needed. And in retrospect, with their lack of output, I'm glad we have it.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieandChris View Post
I love Fleetwood Mac Live. It has by favorite versions of Rhiannon, Over My Head and I'm So Afraid.

Just finished reading STORMS and thought it was interesting that only Mick wanted to release Live...supposedly the other four were not happy to have that album out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

And that's why it's a shame that The Chain wasn't included. I can't see how the most archetypical Fleetwood Mac song could miss from a Live retrospective.

If I remember well also Richard Dashut wanted to release it and he had answered a question about it on his first blog. I don't know if I read it there or in Carol's book, but I remember that Mick wanted to release it as always because he needed money in a short time for his debts and couldn't wait for the next album, but he seemed to also want to immortalize the band at the pinnacle of their touring career.
The vocals as always were partially re-recorded, maybe the band didn't want to spend additional time in the studio for a Live album since after Tusk they all had a solo project to think about?
Old 03-29-2017, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And that's why it's a shame that The Chain wasn't included. I can't see how the most archetypical Fleetwood Mac song could miss from a Live retrospective.

If I remember well also Richard Dashut wanted to release it and he had answered a question about it on his first blog. I don't know if I read it there or in Carol's book, but I remember that Mick wanted to release it as always because he needed money in a short time for his debts and couldn't wait for the next album, but he seemed to also want to immortalize the band at the pinnacle of their touring career.
The vocals as always were partially re-recorded, maybe the band didn't want to spend additional time in the studio for a Live album since after Tusk they all had a solo project to think about?
Well, it was 1980, and Rumours was 3 years old, so it's not like they were looking back 37 years, like they are now.

I'm sure that's true. They were all ready for a big break from the band.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I love SOTM, but I wouldn't have put it on Live. Here's what I would have done instead:

Say You Love Me
The Chain
Dreams
Second Hand News
Think About Me
-
Tusk
Sara
Oh Well
You Make Loving Fun
Landslide
=
Fireflies
Over My Head
Rhiannon
Don't Let Me Down Again
One More Night
-
I'm So Afraid
Don't Stop
Go Your Own Way
Farmer's Daughter

It would have had all the big hits as well as some of the staples, and would have been a better representation of the band live.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-29-2017, 06:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Live is one of my favorite álbum. The sound quality, the live songs choices, everything is perfect.
And yet, they didn't want to release it. Only Mick, because of financial reasons.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Alternate Live Mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I love SOTM, but I wouldn't have put it on Live. Here's what I would have done instead:

Say You Love Me
The Chain
Dreams
Second Hand News
Think About Me
-
Tusk
Sara
Oh Well
You Make Loving Fun
Landslide
=
Fireflies
Over My Head
Rhiannon
Don't Let Me Down Again
One More Night
-
I'm So Afraid
Don't Stop
Go Your Own Way
Farmer's Daughter

It would have had all the big hits as well as some of the staples, and would have been a better representation of the band live.
With the Tusk Deluxe release, I think we now have live versions from the Tusk tour(1979 - 1980), with the exception of Second Hand News (don't think it was performed live on the Tusk tour). The Chain version from the Tusk Deluxe release (Wembley, 6/20/1980) is the best ever (imo).