Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-09-2006, 09:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking My Studio experience

This has little to do with lindsey but I thought I'd share. I have been working on a demo for myself for the past 4 months and I went in last week planning to do an original, when I decided I just love Go Insane and wanted to not cover it, but remake it. So, I brought my producer the original version and we came up with some keyboard ideas and just used the main riff. I also insisted on keeping the vocals so they resemble the one off the dance, because I like to use my voice. We just finished it last night at least the rough and it sounds amazing. My style is hard rock so it came out sounding like if NIN ever got a hold of the song. If anyone is interested in hearing it. I will post the song when it is remixed next week?

I am not planning to ever sell this cd, it's just something I have always wanted to do, to prove to everyone yeah he can sing.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Senior Ledgie

I am interested. Did you use a real studio and have to pay, or just use your friend as a producer in a home studio?
Old 02-09-2006, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A real studio where I have to pay. The producer is my friend. I can't play any instruments so I go in with the ideas and the melodies and he plays all the instruments and I just say what I want the arrangements to be and usually I'm behind the controls adding effects and hitting the record button. We recorded it in pro tools and built a drum loop in live. I think it sounds pretty good, just after listen to it a bit I hope he uses some parts of my first vocal to fix an intro since I am late coming in to the first chorus. I am very critical.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I would also very much like to hear this.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:27 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird28
I have been working on a demo for myself for the past 4 months and I went in last week planning to do an original, when I decided I just love Go Insane and wanted to not cover it, but remake it. So, I brought my producer the original version and we came up with some keyboard ideas and just used the main riff. I also insisted on keeping the vocals so they resemble the one off the dance, because I like to use my voice. We just finished it last night at least the rough and it sounds amazing. My style is hard rock so it came out sounding like if NIN ever got a hold of the song. If anyone is interested in hearing it. I will post the song when it is remixed next week? .
HA! Very nice. I think thats cool. When I worked in the studio recording stuff I was constantly re-recording songs like that. Although my voice isnt for ***** anymore. What did you use to record? I still have all my ProTools stuff but never use it anymore.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

good for you. I know that must feel like an accomplishment. It's something I've always wanted to do as well. If you ever change your mind, think about sharing.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i'd like to hear this
Old 02-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

First I sang over lindsey's go insane from the dance to have a vocal to get the feel of the song and something to serve as a guide. That was done in Pro Tools. Then we opened up LIVE and recorded the synth to go along to the main riff of the song. Then I listened to a couple drum loops and the second one I heard I had it slowed down. The drum loops just had that sound that I would think lindsey would use if he wanted to update the song. After the loops and synth were put together we brought it back into Pro Tools. Then my producer went and played a strat, electric acoustic, and another guitar, I don't remember what it was, of the main riff in f. I think most of the guitar in the remixed version will be from the take with the strat since he got really into it and did a lot of stuff, like using his teeth to play it and tried to get some different sounds in. Then I went behind the mic and sang a new vocal track it's slightly faster than the vocal on the dance we added an echo effect onto the last chorus, which I am obsessed with this effect, but it adds a nice touch. I played the rough for some friends today and my mom. They all think it is dark, but they all like it.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This has little to do with lindsey but I thought I'd share. I have been working on a demo for myself for the past 4 months and I went in last week planning to do an original, when I decided I just love Go Insane and wanted to not cover it, but remake it. So, I brought my producer the original version and we came up with some keyboard ideas and just used the main riff. I also insisted on keeping the vocals so they resemble the one off the dance, because I like to use my voice. We just finished it last night at least the rough and it sounds amazing. My style is hard rock so it came out sounding like if NIN ever got a hold of the song. If anyone is interested in hearing it. I will post the song when it is remixed next week?

I am not planning to ever sell this cd, it's just something I have always wanted to do, to prove to everyone yeah he can sing.
Hopefully you can permision or whatever you need from his people too. I'm with everyone in that I'd love to hear it.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

lindsey reznor-style. sounds like a wet dream. wanna hear!!!!!

Old 02-10-2006, 12:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
They all think it is dark, but they all like it.
Ooh Dark huh? I love dark! I would like to hear your version of Go Insane. Do you play live anywhere in the area?
Old 02-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I do not play anywhere as of yet. Since I don't have a band I only have 1 person that plays everything, if I did have one I would love to play shows. Know anybody? lol. I will be performing next friday at a charity coffee house in North Attleboro at the YMCA, if there is time and I am bringing the instrumental to sing Go Insane. It's 5 dollars to get in and 1 dollar for a bottomless cup of coffee.

If anyone lives in the area and wants to help me form a band I probably won't do it til summer when I have at least 6 songs written and recorded. So, far I have 3 originals "I've been Waiting" which sounds like creed mixed with the Foo Fighters. I have "Walking Down These Streets" which sounds like Godsmack's asleep and "Misery" which is an acoustic song that I am recording next week.