The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My opinions about songs arenīt really about what those songs are about, the lyrics etc. Mostly I really donīt understand them, I have never translate it to my language, only sometimes, when I was really interested in what that song was about. So I care about how that song is represented (in album as a studio version or in live concert), the music and the singing. And thatīs why I sometimes canīt say with several songs that I like them or not, because many songs were performed manytimes and itīs so different. Some songs I love as a studio songs on some album and really donīt like live, or on the contrary.

And I think that this thread is about lyrics, perhaps. About what songs we like... am I right?

But if I see only studio albums, then Iīm able to choose something. Songs from White album, Rumours and Tusk I love, but they sound much better live than in studio. I mean Rhiannon, Sisters of the Moon, Donīt Stop, Go Your Own Way, The Chain, Gold Dust Woman... so if I see only studio albums I prefer much more songs from Tango or BTM album (like Everywhere, Little Lies, As Long As You Follow, Freedom, No Question Asked... and also Nights In Estoril and Sooner Or Later are my very favourite songs).

Itīs very very difficult to find some favourite Fleetwood Mac songs... I like them all .

Well, so as you guys, I pick some best of each album:
1975: Rhiannon (1975 tour version is best)
1977: The Chain (Tango tour version is best)
1979: Beautiful Child (awesome live performance during SYW tour)
1982: Straight Back (i like the studio version)
1987: Little Lies (classic song forever, maybe biggest hit, just Little Lies is Fleetwood Mac for me, very successful in Europe)
1990: Freedom (awesome voice of Stevie in studio these days)
1995: Nights In Estoril (one of the Christineīs best songs)
2003: Running Through The Garden (i just like quick rock songs )

I want Stevie to tour in Europe!

Last edited by Matthew; 07-24-2009 at 04:10 PM..
Old 07-25-2009, 12:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks to Matthew and Danielle I forgot to mention how much I love Isn't it Midnight and No Questions Asked and the absolutely beautiful As Long As You Follow.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJK View Post
Favourite official song: The purple dancer (studio version).

Favourite FM song of all time: Got a good mind to give up living (a.k.a. All over again); the version from January 4, 1970. Composer: Carl B. Adams.
Peter Green never played a better guitar solo (yes, Fleetwood Mac got me hooked on blues)...
Youtube is a wonderful thing. That Fillmore West version is quite good, but have you heard these?

1/31/70 New Orleans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxgY9...eature=related

4/1/70 Stockholm (my personal favorite):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0ytg...eature=related

At this time FM was the greatest rock band on the planet, and this is coming from a die-hard Who fan.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Ledgie

My fav Mac Tracks are

Fleetwood Mac) Rhiannon, Landslide
Rumours) The Chain, Songbird
Tusk) Tusk
Mirage) Gypsy, Hold Me
TINT) 7 Wonders, Little Lies, Everywhere
88 Greatest Hits) As Long As You Follow
Behind The Mask) Skies The Limit, In The Back Of My Mind,Do You Know
Time) All Over Again, Nights In Estoril,Hollywood
Say You Will) Thrown Down

I am also a big fan of the blues era Mac

Julian
Old 08-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
or possibly a good experience that you correlate with the specific song(s) you consider your favorite(s).

Associate is better; not correlate. Don't shoot me, just trying to be helpful to a great writer!
Old 08-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Anyway I really love "Angel," I love the positive attitude and happy spirit of it. And I love "Tusk" because it seems like there's so many layers, like, "This is just a brain fart" on top of "That's just to hide that I'm so angry I could kill her" on top of "this is just for fun" hiding "I hate her so much I can't describe itand Mick's going down too" on top of "I love them both so much there aren't even words." And "Storms" just on General Principle.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm a Stevie Nicks fan, so I'm not objective at all

From Stevie : RHIANNON, DREAMS, ANGEL, SARA, BEAUTIFUL CHILD, GYPSY, Silver Springs, Gold Dust Woman, Landslide, Crystal (loveeee it), That's alright, Sisters of the moon, Seven Wonders, I don't want to know, Thrown Down, and probably every single song... (can I count "Stand Back" ? 'Cause I LOVE it)

From Lindsey : Go your own way (cliche, but greaaaat song), Tusk , Never going back again (love it), Second Hand news, The ledge, Save me a place, TANGO IN THE NIGHT, Monday Morning, I'm so afraid, Bleed to love her, Peacekeeper (don't know why...), Big Love...

From Christine : EVERYWHERE, YOU MAKE LOVING FUN, Songbird, Over my head, Isn't it midnight, Say you love me, Don't stop (of course), Little lies, HOLD ME, and others, but I cant remember.

AND, OF COURSE, THE CHAIN. It's THE Fleetwood mac song.

And then, from the pre-Stevie-Lindsey period, It's kinda difficult to choose, 'cause I don't know much songs, but I'd say, Oh Well (the whole song !), Man of the world, Black Magic Woman, Need your love so bad, ALBATROSS, The green manalishi...and then HYPNOTIZED (great song).

I'm sure that I've forgotten some songs...
Old 11-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Considering the deep love I have for this group, I could never pick just one.

There are a few stand outs, the kind we tend not skip on the MP3 on any given day.

My first choice would be Gypsy. This song is the anthem of my life. I said I would get back to this on the thread for the song, however, I've been so busy latley, I couldn't. Gypsy is the blood that runs through my veins, in the sense that I am a free spirit, often having to semi-adapt to other people's standards. However, I contiually fall back into the velvet underground. My own space, where life is mine, and God's. He made me who I am, conventional-no. Just Lisa!! I know this won't make sense to many of you, but, I'll just say this: Gypsy makes me happy! I feel like I'm "home" when I hear it.

I also love: Sisters Of the Moon, Rhiannon, The Chain, and Gold Dust Woman.

I rarely go more than one day without listening to World Turnin'
Old 11-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Senior Ledgie

It is way to hard to pick ONE... if I had too pick I'd say Silver Springs...
But it would be close to Angel, Beautiful Child, Dreams, Gypsy, Rhiannon, Sara, BATB... yeah.. there's so many!
Old 11-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Junior Ledgie

Christine: Everywhere, Over & Over, You Make Loving Fun, Isn't It Midnight, Hold Me, Don't Stop, Little Lies

Lindsey: Go Your Own Way, I'm So Afraid, Ledge, Bleed To Love Her, Never Going Back Again, Can't Go Back, Caroline, Big Love

Stevie: Silver Springs, Sara, Dreams, Gypsy, Welcome To The Room... Sara, Landslide, Angel, Sisters Of The Moon, Storms

Can't really narrow it down much more than I already have. Of course, this list would be incomplete without The Chain.

Last edited by GoldDustWoman87; 11-03-2009 at 04:17 PM..
Old 11-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
Oh I just realized that I haven't said mine! It's really, really difficult for me to narrow mine down, but if I absolutely had to, I would say my favorite is...

Rhiannon: I feel really, REALLY cliche saying that, so for a long time I kinda denied my love for the song. When people ask me why I admire Stevie Nicks as much as I do, I want to play this song for them-- not because it is the absolute best music or writing I've ever heard, but because Stevie is, in my eyes, the earthly Rhiannon-- the one with the flaws and occaisonally a lack of subtlety. The song made me realize what attributes I want to aquire for myself, and then I further began to see them in the writer . I just LOVE the idea of being "taken by the sky," of being comparable to the mundane things in life ("cat in the dark") but being exquisitely distinct despite of that-- BECAUSE of that ("the darkness"). To rule one's life ("like a fine skylark") even when all the guiding light is gone and you're ruling unrecognizable terrain (starless sky)-- even when that terrain is inside of you. "Dreams unwind, love's a state of mind"... perfect.

A close second by...

Crystal: As a writer myself, I love seeing Stevie write as a poet before a songwriter. I don't think she does that much anymore (albeit "Illume", maybe, which I don't like as a song but I LOVE the imagery). "Crystal" is the prime example of Stevie's ability to make relatively common images blend in a way they haven't before. The lyrics make no sense, but they make total sense if you FEEL them, not analyze them. Plus, the last minute of the song is musically awe-inspiring. It revives my soul everytime I hear it.

The Chain: In the context of the band, it COMPLETELY blows my mind away every time I listen.

Silver Springs: The first Fleetwood Mac song I ever really really loved. I heard it when I was five years old . I used to sing it in the car with my mom since she played The Dance nonstop for all of 1997. The slightly crazy bitch aura of the ending lines ("time cast a spell on you...") is so honest. I remember realizing (yes, at 5) the unbelievably sense of raw truth behind those words. I see The Dance performance as Stevie's "turning over a new leaf" experience with Lindsey-- as if she was finally admitting to him that they would always have something phenomenal and there will always be that pent up resentment, but now that the air is cleared for good, they could move on.

Beautiful Child: Need I say anything? Obviously the song is gorgeous. I first heard it while I was in the throes of growing up WAY too fast, so the timing and subject matter has stuck to my bones forever.

Sisters of the Moon: Kinda along the same lines as why I love "Rhiannon".

I apologize for how long this is.... hahaha
I can't believe I didn't talk about "Angel"... or Stevie's Rumours-era recordings of "Planets of the Universe". They're definitely in the same category as the five songs I initially listed.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Gypsy
Silver Springs
Go Your Own Way
Storms
Red Rover
Welcome To The Room... Sara
When I See You Again
Why
Landslide