The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I bet Stevie had heard she would be nominated and planned to get Lindsey ousted as an extra stab in the back. Yes I think she's that much of a POS these days.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

For what it is worth she is a well selling artist who has made a solid solo career for herself, even through her highs and lows. The nomination is well deserved for her efforts.

You guys need to seriously stop with this anti-Stevie bashing and rhetoric. We have heard the opinions and you choose to continue to be bitter towards her. I have never seen a group of individuals on a forum so nasty and vile towards an artist who literally owes you nothing just because you paid for music and concerts over the years. That is your problem. You chose to buy the music. You chose to see her in concert. To think that she owes you something is just an inflammation of your own ego and self entitlement.

Whatever her reasons or motives of decisions made in her life, we should be grateful for what she has given us over the years.

And I am sure this post will get some snarky response and all I got to say to that is, oh well.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:27 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Not sure it's directed specifically at Lindsey but it may very well be an attempt to restore some luster to her image which has taken a hit recently. Her PR team is on top of this stuff. It's a great time to redirect everyone's attention.

That said, she's had a HUGE influence on so many women performers that she certainly meets the criteria of inclusion better than plenty of other inductees.
My post came off as more anti-Stevie than it should've, as my beef is really more with the R&RHOF than with Nicks. I've been following their nomination process for many years, and it seems much more political (who you know, who's willing to put up $$, who might generate the most buzz right now, whether a certain group of out-of-touch old farts think you are "worthy" or not) than any type of true merit in the rock-and-roll genre. And there are a couple of acts that IMO should've gotten in a long time ago but haven't, so I've become totally cynical toward the whole enterprise.

I do think that someone on the Mac team probably pushed for it. My initial "thumb to the eye" of LB may not have been much of a factor, though - but your theory about restoring luster to Nicks' image and generating positive pub as their tour gets underway is solid. The whole induction process has become a joke, so I'm going to question why *every* nominee is selected, whether I personally think they're deserving or not.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanketMan View Post
My post came off as more anti-Stevie than it should've, as my beef is really more with the R&RHOF than with Nicks. I've been following their nomination process for many years, and it seems much more political (who you know, who's willing to put up $$, who might generate the most buzz right now, whether a certain group of out-of-touch old farts think you are "worthy" or not) than any type of true merit in the rock-and-roll genre. And there are a couple of acts that IMO should've gotten in a long time ago but haven't, so I've become totally cynical toward the whole enterprise.

I do think that someone on the Mac team probably pushed for it. My initial "thumb to the eye" of LB may not have been much of a factor, though - but your theory about restoring luster to Nicks' image and generating positive pub as their tour gets underway is solid. The whole induction process has become a joke, so I'm going to question why *every* nominee is selected, whether I personally think they're deserving or not.
If Ringo Star can make it in for solo work, so can she.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
If Ringo Star can make it in for solo work, so can she.
Indeed!
Old 10-10-2018, 08:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I think the reason people think she deserves a solo spot is just because of her whole image-- her entity as 'Stevie Nicks' the witchy pop rock girl.
That is a big part of rock n' roll, and a big part of Stevie's place in rock n' roll. She created a brand that is still selling and getting media exposure (e.g. AHS) today! Not saying that alone warrants entry to the RRHOF, but it doesn't hurt.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohv View Post
That is a big part of rock n' roll, and a big part of Stevie's place in rock n' roll. She created a brand that is still selling and getting media exposure (e.g. AHS) today! Not saying that alone warrants entry to the RRHOF, but it doesn't hurt.
Exactly. And she was singled out for that one-of-a-kind persona even before her solo career officially started. She's made a mark by being unique, and she's a huge influence to many, and not all of that was done within the confines of Fleetwood Mac.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm voting for Roxy Music in the poll. They are the most deserving with Radiohead a close second.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
Exactly. And she was singled out for that one-of-a-kind persona even before her solo career officially started. She's made a mark by being unique, and she's a huge influence to many, and not all of that was done within the confines of Fleetwood Mac.
Yeah and she's still a sh!tty person behind it all.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I think the reason people think she deserves a solo spot is just because of her whole image-- her entity as 'Stevie Nicks' the witchy pop rock girl.
She's had such an impact that you can walk into any store today and buy clothes, shoes and jewelry that emulate her look. 35 years ago that wasn't even remotely possible. It's the true mark of an individual and why she should be the first woman from both a band and as a solo artist inducted.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
She's had such an impact that you can walk into any store today and buy clothes, shoes and jewelry that emulate her look. 35 years ago that wasn't even remotely possible. It's the true mark of an individual and why she should be the first woman from both a band and as a solo artist inducted.
impact on clothing and shoes and jewelry is the criterion for getting in the Rock Hall of Fame now?
Old 10-10-2018, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
impact on clothing and shoes and jewelry is the criterion for getting in the Rock Hall of Fame now?
Absolutely ..they need to posthumously induct Gianni Versace ,Coco Chanel and Joan Crawford

Old 10-10-2018, 10:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm well aware of that lol. That's my entire point. I think it should be that the music is what determines someone's entry into the RRHOF. Not how many fans they have or how many times they've been on American Horror Story or how many girls try to dress like them. Artists should be inducted based on how the quality of their music and its place in music history. I think Stevie as a member of Fleetwood Mac produced some of the best music of the 70s and early 80s and she along with all the other members deserved the induction. The songs on those first few albums were magic and that shows in how much they're still listened to today. I don't feel the same way about her solo career's music and I think that also in shows in how the large majority of it does not remotely compare to the enduring popularity of her FM work.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I'm well aware of that lol. That's my entire point. I think it should be that the music is what determines someone's entry into the RRHOF. Not how many fans they have or how many times they've been on American Horror Story or how many girls try to dress like them. Artists should be inducted based on how the quality of their music and its place in music history. I think Stevie as a member of Fleetwood Mac produced some of the best music of the 70s and early 80s and she along with all the other members deserved the induction. The songs on those first few albums were magic and that shows in how much they're still listened to today. I don't feel the same way about her solo career's music and I think that also in shows in how the large majority of it does not remotely compare to the enduring popularity of her FM work.
Who determines quality? What makes art "good"? Or for that matter what constitutes art?
Old 10-10-2018, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Who determines quality? What makes art "good"? Or for that matter what constitutes art?
I think someone's own ears determine quality lol. Obviously tastes can differ but in my opinion, Stevie's solo career consisted of one fabulous album, one good album and a wholeeeeeeeeee lot of garbage following that. She basically peaked with her beginning when it comes to her solo music. And even then, the best of it still pales in comparison to what she did in her first few years with FM. And I think that I'm not the only one that feels that way because these days, the people who didn't grow up listening to Stevie know her Fleetwood Mac music by far the best because it's just endured better.