User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default The Record

I thought we could all benefit at the moment from having key remarks from band members etc. listed in one place in rough chronological order.

- Basic policy will be to only include direct quotes from band members; but due to the relative radio silence on the Lindsey side, I will extend this to direct quotes and hearsay from interested parties who are close to any of the band members (e.g. the likes of Richard Dashut; NOT the likes of "psychologist Dr. Linda Papadopoulos" ).
- Correct me if I make any errors or display any undue editorial bias
- This is a work in progress, but one man can only trawl through so many endless threads of Sugar Mice and Homers McVie without Going Insane. Please help me fill in the holes in my existing list and provide any other new or existing quotes by replying to this thread, along with the link to the original thread where available.
- It would be great to be able to replace the articles with interview transcripts. Not the whole transcripts, just the parts that seem pertinent to ‘what went down’.

Don't make posts here discussing the substance of the quotes! Use the original threads or make a new thread.

+--------------------------------+--------------------------------++--------------------------------+--------------------------------+
+--------------------------------+--------------------------------++--------------------------------+--------------------------------+

O----------------------------------------------------------------

2017 June 20

Lindsey Buckingham in a Los Angeles Times interview
(When asked how he felt about playing the Classic shows, geared to evoke memories of the old days)
It doesn't necessarily speak of the aspiration to present anything in the way that Fleetwood Mac would want to present it on its own terms. But we're all very close to Irving, so it was just sort of a 'Why not? [...] I was going to put it less diplomatically, but I stopped myself. [...] I was going to say, 'Just close your eyes and take the money.’
Source thread:

2018 January 26

Stevie Nicks in a red carpet interview before Musicares in NYC
(In response to a question about what the Musicares award means)
It means a lot to me. I was at Musicares Tom Petty last year, so that meant a lot to me. That was the second time--the second to last time--I saw him, so this is even more important to me than it was before. And he really explained what this whole thing was more than I actually knew, so it’s interesting that this would come our way this year.
Source thread:

2018 January 27

Lindsey Buckingham in a fan paparazzi video taken the morning after Musicares
(In response to a question about his solo album and tour plans)
Well, I’m gonna… I was going to put it out this April, a solo album [...] I’m gonna put out a Best Of, and do a bunch of things in between Fleetwood Mac [...]
Source thread: http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?p=1228631

2018 April 4

Billy Burnette on his Facebook (post was subsequently hastily deleted)
Breaking news: Lindsey Buckingham is out!
New line up to be announced soon and I'm not in it????? A little pissed off but I'll get over it.
Source thread: http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57756

2018 April 9

Joint press statement by Fleetwood Mac
Lindsey Buckingham will not be performing with the band on this tour. The band wishes Lindsey all the best.
Source thread: http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57761

2018 April 12

Rick Turner (and Pattie D) on 'Real Savage Like' FaceBook forum
Rick Turner
At one point, Lindsey had proposed that both FM and he with his band tour at the same time with the LB band filling in dates between the FM shows. The report was that Stevie wanted at least a day between gigs; Lindsey wanted to play as much as possible. That's what I heard from a most reliable source at the NAMM show in January. [...] I think it just points out one point of contention. Maybe it looked to some as though LB was going to do really well touring hard; perhaps not doubling his money on the tour, but certainly getting in nearly twice the audience facetime. [...]

Pattie D
I know for a fact that LB wanted to do a solo tour in between the FM tour. He did say that it was complicated and I guess he wasn't kidding. [...]

Rick Turner
[...] It would have been doable. It just needed everyone's buy-in.
Source thread:

2018 April 24

Mick Fleetwood, Stevie Nicks, and Christine McVie in CBS interview and corresponding article
Interviewer
Mick, when did you decide that you had to make this change?

Mick Fleetwood
It happened after we played in New York at the MusiCares event, which you were there.

Article
All five members of the classic lineup appeared together. But tensions were building, Fleetwood said, because Buckingham would not sign off on a new tour they'd been planning for a year and a half.

Mick Fleetwood
It became just a huge impasse and hit a brick wall, where we decided that we had to part company.

Interviewer
Was Lindsey effectively fired?

Mick Fleetwood
Well, we don't use that word because I think it's ugly. And it's not a question that Lindsey has huge amounts of respect and kudos to what he's done within the ranks of Fleetwood Mac and always will," Fleetwood said. "But it's like a marriage that came to an end and there are reasons why. … But as a band we needed to move on and we have and that's --

Interviewer
Because people who saw you in New York would've thought everything was OK. But it wasn't?

Mick Fleetwood
No, it was not.

Stevie Nicks
This team wanted to get out on the road. And one of the members did not want to get out on the road for a year. [...] We just couldn't agree. And you know, when you're in a band, it's a team. I mean I have a solo career, and I love my solo career, and I'm the boss. Absolutely. But I'm not the boss in this band.

Article
So just six days after the MusiCares performance, Campbell got a phone call from Fleetwood. [...] Campbell was in as lead guitarist. But the band still needed another singer.

Stevie Nicks
We sat around a table and we just started listening to everybody we could think of. Anywhere between, you know, 27 and 65. It was like -- it was crazy!

Article
They all met up at a theater in Maui on March 21.

Stevie Nicks (on the death of Tom Petty)
It changed me and Mike for sure, in that you know, we need to take everyday that we have until we're gone and make it the best day we can because if that could happen to Tom, then it could happen to anybody. And I'm gonna have the most fun I can and I'm gonna stop complaining. And I'm gonna throw myself into all these projects because you just never know.

Article
They also said they did audition one other singer in Maui, but they won't reveal who that was.
Source thread:

2018 April 27

Kristen Buckingham on her Instagram
I happened to see a tweet on Mick Fleetwood’s Twitter today that asked ...”what is the secret to Fleetwood Mac’s success?” This question struck a chord with me and compelled me to answer.
But because I am getting old I don’t know how to use Twitter, I’ll just post my thoughts here...maybe someone out there can put it up on Twitter for me lol. So....“what is the secret of FM success Mick?” My opinion/answer is. ..”The heady chemistry and artistry of these 5 members together - John, Christine, Mick, Stevie, and Lindsey. That iconic sound by those 5 coupled with romantic tension and the worlds love of drama made a undeniable cocktail. Each personality and their creativity defined the band and it’s success.” Therefore honors such as Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Grammys, MusiCares Person of the Year to name a few were earned by this group. It is beyond a shame what has come to pass over recent days. I have lots of thoughts, feelings and facts that I will spare you from at this point. It is my husbands place to speak in his own words when the time is right for him. All I can say is thank you to all the loyal fans that supported FM over the years and for recognizing how stars only align once in a blue moon...and they did for this band.@mickfleetwoodofficial @stevienicks@christinemcvieofficial and you too John.#whoareyoupeople
Source thread: http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57840

2018 April

Mick Fleetwood, Stevie Nicks, and Christine McVie in Sirius Rolling Stone interview
Interviewer
So I've heard for a long time there's plans to do a big tour in 2018. And at what point did you realize that it was going to be without Lindsey? How long ago did the split happen?

Mick Fleetwood
After MusiCares in New York, which is 3 months ago.

Stevie Nicks
Which was February?

Interviewer
I think it was late January maybe?

Stevie Nicks
I don't know, because I left for Maui on the fourth of February. So it was, had to be more like... I think it was like the 26th of January. Somewhere at MusiCares or somewhere in that...

Interviewer
Right. And prior to that, you thought the tour was going to be with Lindsey?

Stevie Nicks
Well, we didn't...

Christine McVie
Yes.

Mick Fleetwood
...know we had a tour. That was, is, part of the problem in terms of where it became a total impasse. The four of us had to come to a decision where we planned to be doing a large, huge, lovely Fleetwood Mac tour, and Lindsey, for sure, had very different opinions about when that should start. And the whole thing, without belaboring it, was percolating in a way that was not OK for the majority of the band in terms of knowing that we were going to go on tour. And he had, for whatever reasons... and Lindsey would, I'm sure, address it in terms of a project he was working on... but it's not about oh, what do you mean, why couldn't you wait, and all that stuff. We'd planned on doing what we were doing for a long, long time and the majority rules in terms of what we needed to do as a band and go forward. And it literally hit a brick wall after the show and Fleetwood Mac is no... you're sitting there, you're very conversant with the strange animal known as Fleetwood Mac.... and really, a lot of other sensibilities came into play where it just wasn't a happy situation. And we made that decision that we were going to part company.

Interviewer
So the biggest issue was scheduling the tour? Is that what happened, Stevie?

Stevie Nicks
(the June vs November thing)

Interviewer
And that's what…

Stevie Nicks
(goes into doing her tour, and all that.....schedules. etc..)

Mick Fleetwood
There was a huge onus on... on... first a decision of, "can this happen?" and, once I had that, it was all about the enthusiasm that became...you know, in increments..with Stevie, with me, and, and then John... there were huge conversations about.... this was a huge moment in Fleetwood..of course.. and I mean that with respect to the fact that you know, Lindsey, now not in the band... there's... no way around the fact that..that's ..that's a massive part of, of the legacy of a band. It's also, in my world, something that felt that it... if everyone was in a place of..of wanting to have an enthusiasm about being a musician and continuing.. uh.. with the band, that it's not insurmountable.

Christine McVie
Yeah, and…

Mick Fleetwood
So that is what we embarked on. And it was hugely challenging.

[~ later in the interview ~]

Interviewer
And just to clarify... there seems some confusion now. Did he quit, or was he fired, or was it somewhere in between? Just how would you clarify his departure?

Mick Fleetwood
All of the "fired" words and the, you know... they're all ugly references as far as I'm concerned. But not to hedge around... an impasse of hitting a brick wall... there was not a happy situation for us in terms of the logistics of a functioning band. And in truth, no secret to anyone in the room, quietly, without going into... some of the things had a muscle memory of not being hugely fun. And to that purpose, we made a decision that we could not go on with Lindsey. So it's really up to people such as yourself, with, "What do you mean, you let him go?" We made a decision: "We can go on without you." That is correct.
Source thread:http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57941
Note: I’ve used transcripts posted by Ledgies sodascouts and bombaysaffires

2018 May 11

Lindsey Buckingham at Democratic fundraiser performance in YouTube footage and Rolling Stone article
"It's been an interesting time on a lot of levels. For me, personally, probably some of you know that, for the last three months, I have sadly taken leave of my band of 43 years, Fleetwood Mac. This was not something that was really my doing or my choice. I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. ... The point is that they'd lost their perspective, and what that did was to harm — and this was the only thing I'm really sad about, and the rest of it becomes an opportunity — but it harmed the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build. And that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny.
Source thread: http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57907

2018 May 11

Brian Larsen in YouTube post notes
Lindsey *did* want to tour. Saying that he did not want to tour until 2019 is simply not true, no matter who says it.
Source thread:

2018 May 27

Mick Fleetwood in TMZ airport ambush interview
(In response to questions whether the alleged story that Stevue wanted Mike Campbell to replace Lindsey and issued an that either Lindsey goes or she goes and the band sided with her No.
Source thread:http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57941

2018 June 15

Mick Fleetwood in Yahoo!News article and on SiriusXM radio
Fleetwood is reluctant to go “into all of ups and downs and the details of where we ended up” with Buckingham this time around, but he gives “huge kudos and respect, forever and before and now and into the future, of what Lindsay Buckingham has always been within the ranks.” He also reveals that he and longtime bandmates Stevie Nicks, Christine McVie (who took a hiatus from the group from 1998-2013), and John McVie “thought very, very hard and long about going forward.” In fact, they even considered not going forward at one point, but it didn’t take long before they realized they wanted to stick together. “Well, it was a huddle, really. It was a team huddle of the existing band members to really not panic into anything, other than really following our hearts as to what this meant — which was huge, any which way you look at it,” Fleetwood muses. “And once we had galvanized that approach amongst the four remaining folks, the ladies and the guys in the band, we took the bull by the horns. It was really as simple as that. But it certainly took a real, meaningful breath. All of us, probably in our various ways, came to that decision that we want to, we need to, we feel good about it. And once we all felt that we really wanted to do that, it got hot and heavy as to how this is going to be really musically uplifting for the existing band — the band that we have now — and have it be believable for everyone out there that has been loyal and taken that journey with the crazy band Fleetwood Mac.”
Source thread: http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=57973

2018 June 29

(In response to a user asking “WTF did [Lindsey] do [to get fired]?
[W]ell that's just the point, he didn't do anything beyond asking for a 1yr tour delay or asking to do his own solo tour at the same time so that a delay wouldn't be needed. Stevie just decided she wanted him out of her life and that meant out of the band. That's why so many fans have turned away from the band, and why so many Stevie fans have turned away from Stevie. [H]e didn’t ask for any such delay. Ironically, they are starting later now than what they had planned with Lindsey. Cruelest move I’ve ever seen. Lindsey did not deserve any of it.
Source thread: http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showth...t=58003&page=5

2018 July 1

Richard Dashut on his Twitter
I’ve been asked for my opinion on Lindsey’s departure from FM quite a few times. Alright, here it is. I believe what has transpired amounts to the final chapter in Stevie’s & Lindsay’s relationship. Power balance finally tipped over. Creativity spilled, “never going back again “. I get the fact that more than a few of you are concerned about the legacy of FM without Lindsey. Nobody took it harder than I. [...] Yes I can confirm that Lindsey is indeed personally crushed by his firing and no it’s not right. At this point in his career he should be completely satisfied with his legacy, not in pain. [...] I just texted Lindsey your feelings and got an immediate response. He sincerely thanked me for all your messages of support and I could tell it meant a lot to him. Sometimes we need others words of appreciation to get us over the hump and remind us of our own self worth.
Source thread:

2018 August 3

Richard Dashut on his Twitter
Please don’t blame Christine McVie for what happened to Lindsey. After texting with Chris I am convinced that whatever went down between Stevie & Lindsey was to personal, complex, hurtful & deep for her to have affected the outcome in any meaningful way. She has a heavy heart... [...] Believe me I was witness to many an intense argument between Stevie & Lindsey back in the early 70s when we were all living together. To get in the middle was a futile exercise in emotional hostage rescue with little positive results, usually leading in ones own self destruction. I know this, the opposite of love is not hate but apathy. There was never any apathy between Stevie and Lindsey, not now, not ever.
Source thread:http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58003

2018 August 5

Mick Fleetwood in Billboard article
Obviously this is a huge change with the advent of Lindsey Buckingham not being a part of Fleetwood Mac. We all wish him well and all the rest of it. In truthful language, we just weren’t happy. And I’ll leave it at that in terms of the dynamic. And he’s going out on the road more or less the same time I think -- not in the same places, I hope (laughs). [...] If you know anything about the history of this band, it’s sort of peppered with this type of dramatic stuff.
Source thread: http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=58029

2018 August 6

(In response to Mick Fleetwood’s remark in the Billboard article saying that “In truthful words, we just weren’t happy”)
MF aka Mother ****er. I can’t even. [...] I haven’t heard any truthful words yet.
Source thread: http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showth...t=58029&page=3

2018 August 15

Lindsey Buckingham North America solo tour and Best Of album officially announced for October-December 2018.

Source thread: http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showth...t=58029&page=3

Last edited by DownOnRodeo; 08-15-2018 at 04:41 AM..
Old 08-06-2018, 08:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is MY thread, so don't post off topic!
Old 08-06-2018, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There are also some posts from Ken Calliet on his Facebook page. I like this idea. I've gone over it in my head also many times, trying to figure it all out and the timeline.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 08-06-2018, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There were some other posts by Kristin, saying that Lindsey did not quit, did not want to delay the tour, and that what happened to him was awful and unfair.

I'm trying to remember if it was before her post about the stars aligning, or after...........................
Old 08-06-2018, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

My transcription of a couple snippets of the Rolling Stone interview is slightly different and has a few other bits. I thought I'd add it here, although it's essentially the same in terms of pertinent content.

Interviewer: So I've heard for a long time there's plans to do a big tour in 2018. And at what point did you realize that it was going to be without Lindsey? How long ago did the split happen?

Mick: After MusiCares in New York, which is 3 months ago.

Stevie: Which was February?

Interviewer: I think it was late January maybe?

Stevie: I don't know, because I left for Maui on the fourth of February. So it was, had to be more like... I think it was like the 26th of January. Somewhere at MusiCares or somewhere in that...

Interviewer: Right. And prior to that, you thought the tour was going to be with Lindsey?

Mick: Well, we didn't...

Christine: Yes.

Mick: ...know we had a tour. That was, is, part of the problem in terms of where it became a total impasse. The four of us had to come to a decision where we planned to be doing a large, huge, lovely Fleetwood Mac tour, and Lindsey, for sure, had very different opinions about when that should start. And the whole thing, without belaboring it, was percolating in a way that was not OK for the majority of the band in terms of knowing that we were going to go on tour. And he had, for whatever reasons... and Lindsey would, I'm sure, address it in terms of a project he was working on... but it's not about oh, what do you mean, why couldn't you wait, and all that stuff. We'd planned on doing what we were doing for a long, long time and the majority rules in terms of what we needed to do as a band and go forward. And it literally hit a brick wall after the show and Fleetwood Mac is no... you're sitting there, you're very conversant with the strange animal known as Fleetwood Mac.... and really, a lot of other sensibilities came into play where it just wasn't a happy situation. And we made that decision that we were going to part company.

Interviewer: So the biggest issue was scheduling the tour? Is that what happened, Stevie? [she goes on with her story]

[~ later in the interview ~]

Interviewer: And just to clarify... there seems some confusion now. Did he quit, or was he fired, or was it somewhere in between? Just how would you clarify his departure?

Mick: All of the "fired" words and the, you know... they're all ugly references as far as I'm concerned. But not to hedge around... an impasse of hitting a brick wall... there was not a happy situation for us in terms of the logistics of a functioning band. And in truth, no secret to anyone in the room, quietly, without going into... some of the things had a muscle memory of not being hugely fun. And to that purpose, we made a decision that we could not go on with Lindsey. So it's really up to people such as yourself, with, "What do you mean, you let him go?" We made a decision: "We can go on without you." That is correct.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
I thought we could all benefit at the moment from having key remarks from band members etc. listed in one place in rough chronological order.
Excellent idea!

You could add Kristen Buckingham's comment on her IG account, in response to the Billboard article where Mick Fleetwood simply says "in truthful words, we just weren't happy".

photo Sin ttulo_zps4xmhnzhf.jpeg

God love her!

Last edited by jwd; 08-06-2018 at 05:15 PM..
Old 08-06-2018, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thank you sodascouts--I'd actually been looking for your transcript!

Revision history:
- Combined sodascouts and bombaysaffires transcripts of snippets of Rolling Stone interview
- Added Kristen Buckingham's August 6 remarks on Twitter

When replying with ideas for other quotes to add, please provide the relevant text and/or link! I know there is a heap more of existing quotes--the hard part is going through all the threads to find them! (P.S. I'm not on Facebook so I think it limits my access to its content somewhat.)
Old 08-06-2018, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Excellent idea!

You could add Kristen Buckingham's comment on her IG account, in response to the Billboard article where Mick Fleetwood simply says "in truthful words, we just weren't happy".

photo Sin ttulo_zps4xmhnzhf.jpeg

God love her!
For starters she's got a mouth like a trucker! This is sweet ole Lindsey's wife LOL? Her hubby ain't gonna be bringing home near as much bacon now! Anyway stand by your man sweetie, and keep it classy!
Old 08-06-2018, 08:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Don't make posts here discussing the substance of the quotes! Use the original threads or make a new thread.

Thank you!
Old 08-06-2018, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I need to look up Janet Robin's quote on Facebook as well, about her discussion with Mick. I will get that for you too.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post

Thank you!
There once was a man from Nantucket....
Old 08-07-2018, 01:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
For starters she's got a mouth like a trucker! This is sweet ole Lindsey's wife LOL? Her hubby ain't gonna be bringing home near as much bacon now! Anyway stand by your man sweetie, and keep it classy!
Mick Fleetwood is classy

Old 08-07-2018, 07:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Revision history:
- Added Stevie remarks on red carpet at Musicares
- Added Lindsey remarks to fans on day after Musicares
- Added Kristen Buckingham's June 29 comments denying theories for Lindsey's firing
Old 08-07-2018, 07:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Revision history:
- Added date of Billy Burnette’s leak on Facebook
- Added the 'Take the money' remarks by Lindsey in July 2017 about his dislike for the ethos of the Classic shows
Old 08-07-2018, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Does anybody remember Frederico Pol's comments on the manner and have the direct quotes? I can't find them, but I think they should be included here.