Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
What about "Not Make Believe?"
Should count as extra, same as Love Minus Zero/No Limit (another Lindsey one we forgot to add to that list of additional Lindsey songs!).
Old 11-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Should count as extra, same as Love Minus Zero/No Limit (another Lindsey one we forgot to add to that list of additional Lindsey songs!).
"Not Make Believe" - I never heard of those songs! Where did they come from?
Old 11-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post

They're on the bonus disc in the deluxe edition of SYW.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think the two of them are only on the special/limited editions of SYW?

Can't find them on youtube though. Here's a demo of Not Make Believe

Old 11-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

1. Illume
2. Thrown Down
3. Say You Will
4. Smile at You
5. Running Through the Garden
6. Silver Girl
7. Everybody Finds Out
8. Destiny Rules
9. Goodbye Baby

Illume is a great mood piece--and, unlike so many other 9-11 songs--it communicates the emotional turmoil in a genuine, believable way.

Throw Down is a good tune, given added weight by the very smart, effective performance and production.

Say You Will--eh.

Smile at You does not work in this context. Othes have noted that it's better in earlier demos.

Running through Her Garden is okay, nothing too special to me, but I don't skip past it when it's on.

Silver Girl is an all-out bore with really awful words.

Everybody Finds Out may be the best Stevie Performance since Stand Back. It's hot, Hot, HOT.

Destiny Rules is a great tune given simple production. I immediately liked it.

Goodbye Baby is SYW's "When I See You Again"--an intolerable experience.

So, overall, like Lindsey's songs, some great ones and some duds. It's a strange album, with the weakest material kind of sinking into the middle of the running order.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
They're on the bonus disc in the deluxe edition of SYW.
An album with 18 songs had a deluxe edition with a bonus disc!! Um...okay.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Great deal, right?
Old 11-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think we can thank Lindsey for this. SYW is a single album until you make it a double album.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love her songs on SYW, but of course, Silver Girl is my favorite
Old 11-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I think the two of them are only on the special/limited editions of SYW?

Can't find them on youtube though.
Yeah, the easiest version of LMZ/NL to find is Clapton's live performance - very different from Lindsey's. I love what Lindsey did with guitar parts in it, I guess that's the advantage of his being equally comfortable with electric and acoustic guitar. Although I enjoy Clapton's version - it is great musically, however lacking any emotion imo. Which I guess (emotional detachment) has been main complaint heard about his tours in the last 30 or so years...
Old 11-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Illume - Loved it when SYW first came out, but LB's voice manipulation toward the end ruins it for me now. Otherwise, it probably is her best song on the album.

Thrown Down - I like it, but I like the "wall of sound" version (which I seem to have lost) better. The SYW version is good, if a little too adult contemporary for my taste.

Say You Will - I've always thought that it desperately needed another verse and could do without the kids singing on it. Other than that, it's a nice song, but nothing that special.

Smile at You - I guess I'm in the minority when I say I really like what LB did with this song, and I think Stevie's vocal is great. My problem is with the lyrics. "Go on save yourself, leave the key here...you love someone else, and I shouldn't be here." If you're telling the other person to leave, isn't *he* the one who shouldn't be here? Then, there's the whole "I should've turned away and ran as fast as I can" debacle. Makes me cringe every time I hear it.

Running Through the Garden - Like the song, the lyrics, and Stevie's vocal. But it sounds very '80s, and at times I wish LB could've made it sound a little (or a lot) less dated.

Silver Girl - There's always been such venom directed at this song, but I think it's nice. The lyrics are fairly straightforward, unlike most of Stevie's songs. It's nothing special, but it's a nice little song.

Everybody Finds Out - Always liked it (another great vocal), but it seems really out of place on the album.

Destiny Rules - Lyrics aren't the best, and Stevie sounds like she's pinching her nose while she sings it. I like the song, but I'd like it more with a better vocal.

Goodbye Baby - Bleh. Too maudlin. Didn't like the demo, and don't like it on the album.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I still think it is pretty hard to top Dylan's original version of "Love Minus Zero/No Limit". Leon Russell's is #2.

The way Lindsey arranged it sounds like he was trying to sound like The Byrds.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
I still think it is pretty hard to top Dylan's original version of "Love Minus Zero/No Limit". Leon Russell's is #2.
I love the original too! Never heard Leon Russell's and couldn't find it by doing a quick search. But what he did with guitar parts and how they fit with the song is what I really love about Lindsey's version (they seem to be kind of lost with Dylan's, of course there is harmonica there!). Plus for some reason I like the way he pronounces the words when singing this song.

I know there are several other versions too... Either way, what a gorgeous song!

Last edited by elle; 11-24-2010 at 02:14 PM..
Old 11-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like listening to the Say You Will album by dividing up Stevie's songs and Lindsey songs as if they are two solo albums.

When you add each of their respective bonus tracks, you essentially get two complete albums. It gives you a different perspective of the songs, making them more accessible in a less cluttered context.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I really like this album, and, with only a couple of exceptions, I enjoy Stevie's songs on it a lot...

1. Illume - Pretty song, but just kind of bores me.
2. Thrown Down - Love it. I'm not really a shipper...though I have my occasional moments - and this is one of them!
3. Say You Will - I really like this song, though I like it better live, with Stevie and Lindsey singing acapella harmony at the end. Album version is still fun though, and I wouldn't mind one bit if they played it on their next tour
4. Smile at You - Good song. Obviously not real uplifting, so I have to be in the mood for it, but I definitely like it.
5. Running Through the Garden - This and EFO are my faves from this album. Lindsey's solo at the end is the ring tone on my cell and I thnk the song is just classic Stevie...all the pain and regret. Good tune all around.
6. Silver Girl
7. Everybody Finds Out - This I crank way up. Stevie just rocks out here, and so do I right along with her. The way it all builds to a climax, with Stevie and Lindsey's big harmonies at the end after "she gets on a midnight plane. She's done it a thousand times. When love starts out in the darkness...". From about the 3 minute mark on is just cool. This too, would make me happy if it showed up in their future set list ( if Stevie would just relax and dive into it ). *Chills*
8. Destiny Rules - I like this song too, though more for Lindsey's guitar work. It just has a nice mellow way about it without being sleepy. Good song.
9. Goodbye Baby Zzzzzzz. Pretty song but definitely a snoozer. This and Silver Girl are the only songs I skip, though this is certainly a lot better song...just puts me in a coma is all.