The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I became a fan in my early teens in the late 1970s when FM were all over the radio .The 3 albums by the Rumours band in the 1970s are to me their zenith .I still listen to them all the time and of course all that time I was obsessed with La Nicks and thought she too could do no wrong and musically at that time through maybe The Wild Heart she really didn't.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I started off being a Stevie fan when I saw the video for "Stop Draggin My Heart Around" (albeit a decade or so after its release - since Bella Donna was released the same year I was born). I was already a big fan of Tom Petty, so her association with him was what got me interested.

Then came The Dance and I almost immediately became obsessed with all things Fleetwood Mac - but most especially with Lindsey Buckingham.

Then there was that long stretch of time when there was nothing new from the band or from LB solo, so I started investigating the works of some of the band's associates - Walter Egan, Warren Zevon, John Stewart, etc.

These days my biggest interest is with Billy Burnette and Bekka Bramlett, though I am still very much a fan of Lindsey Buckingham and, of course, people like Walter Egan.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
so when Lindsey left in 1987, and Steve & Christine left in 1990, they weren't earth-shattering events
How exactley did Christine leave in 1990? Stevie left in 1992 officially after 'Paper Doll' and Rick followed in '93. By this time the band was in ruins. I like to believe that between '92 and '97 Fleetwood Mac did not exist. Christine stayed with the new lineup that Mick got together I believe to do "Time" but that was such a disaster I do not acknowlege it as a Fleetwood Mac album (even though I own it). Infact, I don't acknowlege it as an album. I just don't acknowlege it. It should be locked away in a cellar under a pool of sick and should NEVER be brought out. I thought of all people YOU would know about the lineups.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
How exactley did Christine leave in 1990?
In the fall of 1990, Christine and Stevie both announced that they were retiring from the touring aspect of Fleetwood Mac, but they would both continue to record with the band.
Months later, Stevie told the press that she was leaving Fleetwood Mac altogether, due to a fallout with Mick (she wanted to include "Silver Springs" on 'Timespace,' but was blocked from doing so).

Around that same time (1991), Rick also announced he was no longer a member of Fleetwood Mac (while doing press for his first solo album).

Sometime in 1992, Billy also left to focus on his solo career, but he returned soon afterward.

"Paper Doll" was originally recorded for possible inclusion on 'Greatest Hits,' but was abandoned. The song was then finished (with overdubs, including new backing vocals by Lindsey) in 1992 for '25 Years - The Chain.'
Out of loyalty, Stevie also sang backing vocals on one of Christine's new contributions to the boxed-set, "Heart Of Stone."

The 'Rumours' lineup performed together in January of 1993 for Bill Clinton's inaugural gala and, shortly thereafter, Stevie confirmed to USA Today that the performance was one-off and that that particular lineup of the band was not getting back together.

A few weeks later, Fleetwood Mac performed at the Super Bowl, with the lineup consisting of Mick, John, Christine, Billy and Rick (who performed at Billy's request).

In the summer of '93, Rolling Stone magazine announced that Bekka Bramlett was now a member, ostensibly replacing Stevie.
Dave Mason came on board shortly afterwards.

With the little history lesson out of the way, I'll say that, while everyone is entitled to their tastes and no one can possibly like everything, too many people write-off 'Time' without even giving it a chance, simply because Stevie and Lindsey aren't on it (aside from Lindsey's little guest appearance).
But, if you go in with an open-mind, it's actually a really great album. And thanks in no small part to Richard Dashut's excellent production work, there are many moments during the course of the album that sound very much like the classic Fleetwood Mac of the late '70s.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I first got hooked by The Dance. I always heard Landslide and Silver Springs on the radio, and I liked them, so I just randomly listened to the CD one day and loved it. Then I got TVBoFM to kind of start off, then I bought Tusk, Rumours, etc...I got hooked fairly quickly. Today, I might not listen to them quite as much, but they're still my favs.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually, I was really looking forward to hearing Time. I couldn't wait to get it home and play it all the way through but when I did, I just didn't like it AT ALL!! Anyway, here's my Fleetwood Mac story in depth:

My Dad had Rumours and Mirage when I was growing up so I knew who they were and a little bit about them. I remember when I was young I found it hillarious that this band with a strange name had a man called Lindsey and a girl called Stevie. Anyway, around 1998 ish my Dad bought The Dance. That's when I REALLY got into them. My Mum bought me Rumours and Mirage on tape so I could listen to them in my room (I never had a CD player until about 2000). I was about 8 or 9 ish. Then I picked up Tango in a charity shop and my aunt and uncle bought me Behind the Mask one xmas on CD. My first Stevie solo purchase followed. I got Other Side of the Mirror, again from a charity shop and then Rock a Little both on tape. That was it until about 2000-2001 or whenever I got my first CD player with some birthday money. I picked up Bella Donna to play on my new CD player and Dad got me The Wild Heart of xmas that year. I got Trouble in Shangri-La for the xmas after it was released. I didn't buy anything of Mac or Stevie for a while then until the double disc remastered editions came out. I got White album, Rumours and Tusk all on CD and Dad gave me his copy or Mirage in exchange for my cassette so he could play it in the car. I was slowley replacing all of the old cassettes with CD's. Around late 2004 ish I got Street Angel and Tango in a clearance at Music Zone and Say You Will in one of those 2 for £10 (or as priced) thingy's at Woolworths. Somebody bought me the early Greatest Hits from the blues years around the same time but I wasn't really interested. I got "Time" fairly recently but it bores me so much, I've never really payed much attention to it.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
How exactley did Christine leave in 1990?
....I thought of all people YOU would know about the lineups.

ChiliD is gonna be so pissed off with this whole post!
I can't wait.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wink Interesting!

Quote:
In the fall of 1990, Christine and Stevie both announced that they were retiring from the touring aspect of Fleetwood Mac, but they would both continue to record with the band.
Funny how Lindsey wanted to do the SAME EXACT THING after Tango was made and he got screamed at for it.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847 View Post
Funny how Lindsey wanted to do the SAME EXACT THING after Tango was made and he got screamed at for it.
To be fair - he backed out like the day before a world tour - therein lies the difference

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 11-30-2006, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
How exactley did Christine leave in 1990? Stevie left in 1992 officially after 'Paper Doll' and Rick followed in '93. By this time the band was in ruins. I like to believe that between '92 and '97 Fleetwood Mac did not exist. Christine stayed with the new lineup that Mick got together I believe to do "Time" but that was such a disaster I do not acknowlege it as a Fleetwood Mac album (even though I own it). Infact, I don't acknowlege it as an album. I just don't acknowlege it. It should be locked away in a cellar under a pool of sick and should NEVER be brought out. I thought of all people YOU would know about the lineups.
Your lack of acknowlegement of Time wreaks of the same utter ignorance as those who claim the Holocaust never happened.

As Johnny Stew pointed out, both Christine & Stevie announced their departure of the band a month prior to the end of the 1990 tour. However, one small discrepancy with his post, at the time of their announcement, neither of them mentioned the caveat of just leaving the road; they'd just announced that they were leaving outright...it wasn't until after the end of the tour did Christine retract her complete departure and said that she would still be open to RECORDING with Fleetwood Mac; just not touring with them. Fleetwood Mac had a complete album entitled Another Link In The Chain finished (sans Christine) in early 1994. They took off on a world tour, but the album was delayed. Finally in mid-1995, they re-worked the album adding Christine's tunes and two weeks after the END of an 18 month tour, they released Time to no fanfare and no tour to support it.

Last edited by chiliD; 11-30-2006 at 04:39 PM..
Old 11-30-2006, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
To be fair - he backed out like the day before a world tour - therein lies the difference
That's true. Whereas in the early 1990s things had been brewing for a while, I don't think I was surprised at all over the announcement but I was shocked over Lindsey.
I also remember reading at the time that both Chris and Stevie were annoyed with Mick over his book.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. . . Fleetwood Mac had a complete album entitled Another Link In The Chain finished (sans Christine) in early 1994 . . . .
Funny how they used a Stevie Lyric ( "and Mick says Stevie . . . ") and the reference to her lyrics. But, such is life.

Time was an okay recording, though I did not like it all that much. I do, however, like Bekka and DM and I like Nights in Estoril.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 11-30-2006, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Dark in my flaming staircase, being totally unfamiliar with the artist or her music

Quote:
Your lack of acknowlegement of Time wreaks of the same utter ignorance as those who claim the Holocaust never happened.
Now, now. The Holocaust wasn't that bad!
Old 11-30-2006, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
too many people write-off 'Time' without even giving it a chance, simply because Stevie and Lindsey aren't on it (aside from Lindsey's little guest appearance).
But, if you go in with an open-mind, it's actually a really great album.
I agree. Time has some wonderful moments: Billy's "I Got it in for You" and "Talkin' to My Heart" are both genuinely lively songs Bekka's "Nothing Without You" and her reading of "Winds of Change" are excellent; and Christine's "Hollywood" and "Nights in Estoril" are both reat tunes.

The only real duds, I think, are Mason's contributions, which throw the album out of focus.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I used to be totally obsessed with everything Stevie, although Christine had been my favorite Macster since I was really little. I actually liked the Rumours line-up in general, and I was kind of scared to listen to pre- and post-Rumours stuff. First I got BTM and Time, which I didn't like too much. Then one day I spontaneously decided to purchase all of the pre-Rumours albums. I fell in love with the Bob Welch era and it's still my favorite.