The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Also, I just wanted to mention that when I saw this bit on some radio site (B 102.7?) I wondered where it came from and was quite glad to have it.

It gave me pleasure, chiefly because it reminded me of her talking about the horse in Crystal Visions. I giggled about that horse trying to kill her endlessly, because personification is one thing, but the way she describes things . . . her voice . . . I really developed an image of a horse plotting Stevie Nicks' death in my head. I was tickled silly. Took me back to the houyhnhnms in Gulliver's Travels.

For me, the idea of a vengeful itenerary nearly killing all 4 of them sparked a similar bout of laughter.

Michele
Old 05-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Come on Stevie you are young and fresh, Tina turner is 69!!!! and is still hot with those legs and look at this dress........DAMN Tina you are Fine! She still has an amzing voice and wears hills throughout the whole concert. Now being a guy i havenever worn boots nor heels or ever will haha but Come on stevie........all you have is... I hate to say it.....Boots!! haha but Stevie you always are, and will stay sexy to me

Tina turner on a giant arm over her audience for one of the last times in her career
Old 05-06-2009, 12:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sywlindseyfan View Post
Come on Stevie you are young and fresh, Tina turner is 69!!!! and is still hot with those legs and look at this dress........DAMN Tina you are Fine! She still has an amzing voice and wears hills throughout the whole concert. Now being a guy i havenever worn boots nor heels or ever will haha but Come on stevie........all you have is... I hate to say it.....Boots!! haha but Stevie you always are, and will stay sexy to me

Tina turner on a giant arm over her audience for one of the last times in her career
Gawd. I love TT. After watching those vids, I gotta say Stevie is good but Tina is a whole different kind of greatness altogether. Hottest diva ever. My girlfriends and I do the dance for Proud Mary when we're feeling very bold on nights out. I love her. No one can top Tina. Sorry.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 05-06-2009, 07:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sywlindseyfan View Post
Come on Stevie you are young and fresh, Tina turner is 69!!!! and is still hot with those legs and look at this dress........DAMN Tina you are Fine! She still has an amzing voice and wears hills throughout the whole concert.
Yes but not everybody gets older the same way. I remember a tv show where Rita Moreno appeared in excellent shape and she danced like a young olympic champion (she was in her late 50s I guess), I turned to Mom and told her Hey Mom you can't do that, and we all laugh.

Oh yes Tina is a phenomenom, I love her
Old 05-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

I, for one, don't want the FM members giving a ton of interviews talking about how blessed they are. That annoys me. I applaud decadence.

Michele
Stamp on that. I don't think I would ever have become interested in Stevie as a songwriter if she wrote about politics or the struggles of working class people or technology. And she certainly doesn't come across as a condescending phoney-baloney "woman of the common people," like Springsteen or Bon-Phony, who write about struggling people while sitting in their ivy-covered gated estates. Similarly she doesn't put on some kind of a homespun affect when she sits for interviews. She is oblivious, lacks self awareness and lives in her own head, which is why she has stayed so true to herself as an artist all of these years. The only times she has gone awry is when she caved into others' bad advice, e.g., the Timespace era. I think it's absurd to take pot-shots at this woman just because she is a spoiled, pampered, rich rock star who is being a bit dramatic (tongue firmly planted in cheek, surely) about the hectic touring schedule. She is entitled to her own drama just like everybody else. I get pissed off when I have to bring my BMW to the dealer and pay $200 for a freakin' oil change. But, hey... it's a BMW! I'm sure an orphaned kid foraging for food in the slums of Mumbai would love to be in my predicament.

It's all relative. We all are blessed yet we all have a right to our own angst.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Stamp on that. I don't think I would ever have become interested in Stevie as a songwriter if she wrote about politics or the struggles of working class people or technology. And she certainly doesn't come across as a condescending phoney-baloney "woman of the common people," like Springsteen or Bon-Phony, who write about struggling people while sitting in their ivy-covered gated estates. Similarly she doesn't put on some kind of a homespun affect when she sits for interviews. She is oblivious, lacks self awareness and lives in her own head, which is why she has stayed so true to herself as an artist all of these years. The only times she has gone awry is when she caved into others' bad advice, e.g., the Timespace era. I think it's absurd to take pot-shots at this woman just because she is a spoiled, pampered, rich rock star who is being a bit dramatic (tongue firmly planted in cheek, surely) about the hectic touring schedule. She is entitled to her own drama just like everybody else. I get pissed off when I have to bring my BMW to the dealer and pay $200 for a freakin' oil change. But, hey... it's a BMW! I'm sure an orphaned kid foraging for food in the slums of Mumbai would love to be in my predicament.

It's all relative. We all are blessed yet we all have a right to our own angst.
While I agree with what you're saying, I don't agree re: Bruce Springsteen. Just because someone isn't experiencing the trials of the working class, does not mean they haven't been affected to the point of being able to create art that many of these people feel a connection to. Stevie is fine doing what she does, but why is it that if an artist sings about things that are seemingly beyond their world they are labeled as phonies, hypocrites, and etc? And anyway, I think Bruce is a very sincere, humble guy. I know many people who have met him and known him and he treats everyone kindly and decently. I don't consider him a phony, nor do I feel he is overly-preachy. He just does what he does as well. Different scopes for different folks.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveFM View Post
Ok, since I couldn't edit my post from my phone I'll just add here that today was a hard day for me with the stress of finals and ap tests coming up, so when I come to this site and read that people are saying awful things (imo) about my idol, someone that gets me through days like this, it makes me mad and frustrated that these things are being said about Stevie. We all have our own opinions about her and the crazy comments she makes sometimes, its just today I would have liked to read a good concert review or something, not people saying she's done and that she's wasted the last 20 years of her life. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, I just don't like negative things being said about someone I love, especially on a day like this.
There's an easy fix for this! I just thought of it. TWO Rumours forums -- one for adulatory expression & one for denigratory expression. Also TWO Stevie Nicks forums, same bipartite structure. Anyone caught posting adulation in the denigration area, or denigration in the adulation area, will be warned or banned or whatever the penal code around here currently calls for.

Not joking here. Why don't we do this?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
While I agree with what you're saying, I don't agree re: Bruce Springsteen. Just because someone isn't experiencing the trials of the working class, does not mean they haven't been affected to the point of being able to create art that many of these people feel a connection to. Stevie is fine doing what she does, but why is it that if an artist sings about things that are seemingly beyond their world they are labeled as phonies, hypocrites, and etc? And anyway, I think Bruce is a very sincere, humble guy. I know many people who have met him and known him and he treats everyone kindly and decently. I don't consider him a phony, nor do I feel he is overly-preachy. He just does what he does as well. Different scopes for different folks.
Well, to me it comes across as condescending. I mean, for crikeys sake, his last album had a cheesy song called "Queen of the Supermarket" on it. When was the last time Bruce Springsteen was even in a supermarket?? And his supposed "humble" nature is contrasted by the fact that he still charges $100 for a ticket to one of his concerts. I'm not saying that he does not have the right to make a gazillion dollars or that he doesn't work hard for the money. But the ticket prices do seem to be prohibitively steep to the "common people" that he sings about. Let's face it- he is a high roller who likes to make lots of money and dons blue collar drag to sell the Springsteen brand.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
There's an easy fix for this! I just thought of it. TWO Rumours forums -- one for adulatory expression & one for denigratory expression. Also TWO Stevie Nicks forums, same bipartite structure. Anyone caught posting adulation in the denigration area, or denigration in the adulation area, will be warned or banned or whatever the penal code around here currently calls for.

Not joking here. Why don't we do this?
Sounds like yet another splinter group is just a few clicks away! I just checked and the domain http://www.iloathestevienicks.com is available.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Well, to me it comes across as condescending. I mean, for crikeys sake, his last album had a cheesy song called "Queen of the Supermarket" on it. When was the last time Bruce Springsteen was even in a supermarket?? And his supposed "humble" nature is contrasted by the fact that he still charges $100 for a ticket to one of his concerts. I'm not saying that he does not have the right to make a gazillion dollars or that he doesn't work hard for the money. But the ticket prices do seem to be prohibitively steep to the "common people" that he sings about. Let's face it- he is a high roller who likes to make lots of money and dons blue collar drag to sell the Springsteen brand.
Hejira, please don't think I'm trying to argue with you at all because you are totally entitled to your own opinion. You certainly don't have to like Bruce Springsteen, but some of the generalizations you are making I just can't agree with. Firstly, he has always made a concerted effort to keep his ticket prices lower than what would be expected for the show he puts on. I know for a fact that at some venues he has even bought out sections himself so that fans could get seats at lower prices, and he has been very vocal about scalpers and ticket vendors who scam people during online sales. He plays a very active role in all of that, and that kind of attention means something to his fans.

Also, I'm not sure we can say BS "dons blue collar drag" just to impress his "blue collar" image on everyone. How do we know how he dresses on his down time? Maybe he just likes wearing jeans and flannel shirts. It makes no difference because I'm sure most of his fans are there for the music, which is amazing. And the show, which is possibly the BEST live show I have ever seen in my life.

Call him a hypocrite or hate him as you wish, but no one can deny that Bruce Springsteen delivers in concert. And he plays straight through for hours, with enough energy and stamina as Mr. Buckingham himself. I, like you, never cared for Bruce for years...my dad was always pushing him on me, but I hated BITUSA and I didn't want to know. Until I saw him live. And heard the Rising. And now I'm in love.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Yes but not everybody gets older the same way. I remember a tv show where Rita Moreno appeared in excellent shape and she danced like a young olympic champion (she was in her late 50s I guess), I turned to Mom and told her Hey Mom you can't do that, and we all laugh.

Oh yes Tina is a phenomenom, I love her
Yes that Is true. I know this, it just sometimes I wish stevie could as crazy on stage like she was on the tusk tour. But I think we are just all blessed to even have her, and entertainers like Tina now still. It gives younger people a great sense as to what realllllll music and entertainment is
Old 05-06-2009, 04:19 PM

recked em... damn near kill em...

sorry... afternoon lull.....
Old 05-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
recked em... damn near kill em...

sorry... afternoon lull.....
JB, you goofball!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-06-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
JB, you goofball!
How dare you not love Stevi Nicks!!! One day Stevi and Lindsay are gonna get back together and start their own band and Fleetwood mac will sure be sorry!!!

John MacVie and Mac Fleetwood will go bankrupt......

See how much I understand you Chili....
Old 05-07-2009, 07:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

They should call it "Buckingham Nicks: Redux". Not sure if they should go shirtless this time around though..

- Spike