User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonBielski View Post
Exactly. Good post. Accurately conveyed. I give her all the credit in the world as a great lyricist. Very poetic. Powerful.
I agree, but still think that a lot of people including Lindsey do not appreciate Stevie's skills in crafting such gorgeous melodies and in giving to Lindsey the basic three chords progression core to a song that he then fleshes out...

I remember reading an article in which Lindsey was quoted as saying before Christine returned, "We're a band of three musicians and a great singer." I'd bet you my lunch that Miss Nicks would be absolutely infuriated by comments like that, which are to the effect of "Oh, Mick and John and me, we are excellent musicians. Stevie? Oh, yeah, she's a great singer and nothing more."

If Lindsey spoke about Stevie and to Stevie using language like "You're an accomplished musician" rather than "She's a great singer" we might not have a whole thread dedicated to Stevie Nicks's non-participation in the new studio album Fleetwood Mac have been working on without her.

Treat people how you want to be treated is what's called the golden rule. Treat Stevie Nicks like chopped liver and she will refuse to contribute to a new album. Treat her like an accomplished musician in her own right and hey, she might feel better about getting into the studio with Buckingham...

Just sayin'
Old 12-26-2014, 11:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
I remember reading an article in which Lindsey was quoted as saying before Christine returned, "We're a band of three musicians and a great singer." I'd bet you my lunch that Miss Nicks would be absolutely infuriated by comments like that, which are to the effect of "Oh, Mick and John and me, we are excellent musicians. Stevie? Oh, yeah, she's a great singer and nothing more."
Had to look and he said "we are a band of musicians and a great singer." He didn't do a head count on the musicians. Still, he'd be an idiot to call Stevie a musician. She's a singer and, more importantly, she's a songwriter. She's an artist. But she herself says she's not a musician, for instance:

Quote:
“I have archives of demos, and I have many, many friends who prefer the demos — who have them and listen to them, and that’s kind of really hard to take when it costs you nothing to do a demo and it costs you $500,000 or $1 million to do a record, and people come to you and say, ‘Can I have a cassette of the song when it was just a demo?’…It’s very important to me that what I’m saying comes through. I’m not a musician. More than musically, it’s very important that what I have to say comes through and so on this record, he did what I asked. He let me put my demo feeling through.”
It's no more of an insult not to call Stevie a musician than it is not to call Lindsey a pianist.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 12-26-2014 at 11:55 PM..
Old 12-27-2014, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've always thought Stevie was cool. My opinion is that she's a good rock singer, first and foremost. I also think she's written some great lyrics, like "Dreams" and "Sisters of the Moon." Those are iconic characters she created. Is she a musician? Yes. Is she an instrumentalist? No, good heavens no. She has no gift for that.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-27-2014, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
John McVie is credited with black keys for Say You Will, meaning he played the sharps and the flats, presumably while Stevie played the notes.
I've been teaching adult piano lessons for thirty years. But the "black keys" credit on Say You Will—I don't know what the hell that even means. In music, a sharp or a flat doesn't have to be a black key. For example, B sharp is a white key. I think it's just a deliberately silly credit. It's a joke whose punchline eludes us—chances are because it's an inside joke.

Stevie has some other instrumental credits on some of her solo albums. She plays the chords on "Love Changes." You can hear it, too. She presses and holds a chord for the length of the bar, and then presses and holds another chord when the song modulates. It's very, very simple. It's at the level at which actors sometimes have to learn a bar or two in order to film a scene in a movie. Anyone could do it.

Stevie's keyboard ... er, approach (skill isn't the right word for it) is very, very basic, very untrained, and very klutzy. But she has never told the world (or herself) that it's anything more. I admire her honesty.

During the late leg of the Wild Heart tour, Stevie used to hang out next to Roy Bittan during the piano introduction to "Rhiannon." Sometimes, she'd reach over and play her little "Rhiannon" riff on the Fender Rhodes, which was next to the grand piano. Oh, how we loved the rock & roll of it, seeing this elegant woman in a cape diddling around on the Fender Rhodes. If you have a recording of the Compton Terrace gig, you can hear her play, and then say, "I did write it!"

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-28-2014, 06:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Had to look and he said "we are a band of musicians and a great singer." He didn't do a head count on the musicians. Still, he'd be an idiot to call Stevie a musician. She's a singer and, more importantly, she's a songwriter. She's an artist. But she herself says she's not a musician, for instance:

It's no more of an insult not to call Stevie a musician than it is not to call Lindsey a pianist.

Michele
Great retort! It seems sometimes people are looking (and finding) insults and disparaging remarks where there are none. For sure, Stevie is a great singer. Lindsey certainly respects and appreciates Stevie's unique songwriting talent; his omission to note it has no inferred meaning. He didn't refer to himself or Christine as songwriters either.

Stevie has successfully created her own atmosphere and distinctive signature style. Not many songwriters achieve that. Yet, I consider her not as a great songwriter, but a very good songwriter who has had many great songs.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 12-28-2014 at 07:12 AM..
Old 12-28-2014, 07:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Great retort! It seems sometimes people are looking (and finding) insults and disparaging remarks where there are none. For sure, Stevie is a great singer. Lindsey certainly respects and appreciates Stevie's unique songwriting talent; his omission to note it has no inferred meaning. He didn't refer to himself or Christine as songwriters either.

Stevie has successfully created her own atmosphere and distinctive signature style. Not many songwriters achieve that. Yet, I consider her not as a great songwriter, but a very good songwriter who has had many great songs.
Lindsey knows Stevie would take it as a slight that he doesn't appreciate her musical abilities. She did compose the basic melody and tune to Dreams, Angel, Beautiful Child, Say You Will (the song) ...anyway...it's not about her being a singer-songwriter, it's about Lindsey treating her in a derogatory way that discourages her from wanting to participate in studio efforts.

By the way, Lindsey, Mick and John started working on Say You Will album in 2001. Stevie came in more than six months later. Christine, Lindsey, Mick and John were working on the 2015 album which I am calling Hunger for now based on one of the unreleased Lindsey tunes...

Anyway, CM, LB, MF and JM were working on Hunger album in March and April 2014. Six months later would be October, when Stevie was still not participating due to the massive arena tour of North America getting in the way of any potential studio recording she could do.

Look how long it took Stevie to finish her contribution to Extended Play - she stayed at Lindsey's house in his guest room for just 2 days, probably a weekend. I love how Kirsten Buckingham is supposedly totally fine with that and how Stevie loves Lindsey's gorgeous kids, apparently.

Anyway, I'd hazard a guess that Stephanie Lynn Nicks will most definitely be back in the studio in 2015 and that Christine's prediction of a May 2015 or July 2015 new release of some form from Fleetwood Mac can and will come true!

It might be five or six new songs, two from each writer perhaps, then a full-length album out by 2016 after the current On with the Show tour wraps up...

By the way, people, On with the Show would be a brilliant name for a new studio album by Fleetwood Mac featuring Lindsey's compositions:

Fleetwood Mac's On with the Show album

Hunger
Lay Down for Free
On with the Show
It Takes Time
Miss Fantasy
Sad Angel
Is it Right
Red Sun
Carnival Begin

and Christine's
Too Far Gone
How I Feel

and Stevie's
Without You
My Mother's Rings
Space Needle
Julia
Goldfish and the Ladybug

So many more that I can't remember but the new song titles are out there, Stevie has at least one, plus plenty of songs in her not so private vault too thanks to her "friends" leaking her unreleased works on the Internet.

Let's not let this band forget how fun new songs can be for their audience:

This is the type of songs we are missing out on due to no new album:

Last edited by secret love; 12-28-2014 at 07:35 AM..
Old 12-28-2014, 09:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Goldfish and the Ladybug
No. Just no.

And no EP songs except for the deluxe edition.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-28-2014, 06:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
No. Just no.

And no EP songs except for the deluxe edition.
The Extended Play songs that should be included and re-done with Christine's vocals and keyboards, I think anyway, are It Takes Time and Miss Fantasy.

By the way, I was just listing all the titles of new unreleased songs we know about and some of Stevie's vault songs, that's all. I wasn't giving an opinion on what should be on the new album, I was speculating on what could possibly be included.

My Mother's Rings and Space Needle would be obvious choices for Stevie. All the song titles listed for Lindsey and Christine are likely to be included, as those are the eight songs Lindsey, Mick and John recorded in Stevie's key in 2012.

Christine's songs Too Far Gone, a danceable new tune according to a music journalist and How I Feel are two songs that were worked on in the 2014 studio recording sessions.

Stevie might appear ambivalent now, but once it clicks in her brain that the new Fleetwood Mac album is 75% complete and she only needs to dedicate three months work maximum to it, with a potential for high profits and also high critical acclaim...then I'm sure she'll come around to the idea of giving the band that gave her fame, its last swan song of an album.

Last edited by secret love; 12-28-2014 at 06:10 PM..
Old 12-28-2014, 08:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Stevie didn't ask Lindsey and Christine to start working on a new record so u can't hold that over her head. The blemish of the successfulness is on Lindsey and Chris. They broke up the group.
You're right. I assume Stevie has never asked Lindsey and Chris to make a Fleetwood Mac record. But ever since she joined the group (excluding the brief time she wasn't), she has collaborated on every album when the opportunity presented itself. If you're part of a group, it's not an option, it's what you do.

Stevie is study of contradictions; she seems elated to have Christine back in the band, yet she has expressed a disdainful amount of ambivalence about playing her part in it. At this latter stage in the game, there is not a lot of time to waste. Stevie realizes this, acknowledging that things can be accomplished in shorter amounts of time. Lindsey, Christine, Mick and John have already put in their time and have done 80% of the work; Stevie in comparison, has it much more easier, since she doesn't play an instrument.

I certainly can hold it over her head and I sure feel fine.

I applaud U for inventing a new word: successfulness!

Last edited by PenguinHead; 12-28-2014 at 10:21 PM..
Old 12-28-2014, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The Extended Play songs that should be included and re-done with Christine's vocals and keyboards, I think anyway, are It Takes Time and Miss Fantasy.
I think it would be entirely appropriate if the new album featured refurbished versions of the EP songs. Sad Angel was the only song that didn't sound half-baked. It Takes Time and Miss Fantasy deserve better treatment. Without You we can do without.

Sad Angel as is, or with a few upgrades from Christine, should be featured as a b-side/bonus track. By existing only in digital form on a EP, these songs will be easily overlooked and forgotten like obscure b-sides.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This is the type of songs we are missing out on due to no new album:
Amen. The acoustic "Friend" is the best non-Fleetwood Mac Fleetwood Mac song of the last thirty years. The electric version is very good too, but it's a bit overlong and lacks the acoustic version's crispness and propulsive keyboard work. So many songs on In The Meantime are simply the best Mac music we have since Tango. Go on--disagree if you must, but that's what I feel. "Giving it Back" and "Forgiveness" are career highlights, as are "Calumny" and "Northern Star." Oh well, the album that much of the world didn't notice...
Old 12-29-2014, 01:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Amen. The acoustic "Friend" is the best non-Fleetwood Mac Fleetwood Mac song of the last thirty years. The electric version is very good too, but it's a bit overlong and lacks the acoustic version's crispness and propulsive keyboard work. So many songs on In The Meantime are simply the best Mac music we have since Tango. Go on--disagree if you must, but that's what I feel. "Giving it Back" and "Forgiveness" are career highlights, as are "Calumny" and "Northern Star." Oh well, the album that much of the world didn't notice...
Love love love love Northern Star!
Old 12-29-2014, 01:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Quite amazing how beautifully Christine sand on In the Meantime when she was sixty or sixty-one at that time - the same age Stevie was during the 2009 Unleashed tour.

Maybe Christine did less cocaine and never put a hole in her nasal septum?

Though she did love a fine glass of Dr Chardonnay or some French champagne!

In the Meantime is a beautiful record - there was a bonus track posted on the Ledge once, a outtake that didn't make it on to the record which I have been at a loss to relocate on YouTube since then. Oh well.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

In the Meantime is a beautiful record - there was a bonus track posted on the Ledge once, a outtake that didn't make it on to the record which I have been at a loss to relocate on YouTube since then. Oh well.
Here it is:

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/6z1v...tine_McVie.mp3
Old 12-29-2014, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post
Not one of her strongest...but I think I might have taken it over 'Bad Journey'.
Not sure I'd like this to be on a new FM album. She can do better.